TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

White vs. Black interior?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by VeraC, Aug 19, 2017.

1. VeraC

VeraC Member

Im new to Tesla cars and the forum. I've never owned a Tesla but made a reservation for the model 3 yesterday. I'm excited but a little apprehensive since I've never even driven one. Didn't sound like a very logical decision but I just really love everything I've heard.

Thanks for posting pics of the Model 3. I think the white interior looks so sharp and classy. However, this will be my everyday car and I'm not sure that would be practical. What are your thoughts?

P.S. forgive me if I ask ignorant questions on the forum. Like I said I'm completely new to this and electric cars.

2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

#2 insaneoctane, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Welcome. I suspect that many people share your concerns about the long term durability of the white interior. I don't think that there is very much solid data for complete assurance. There are some YouTube videos (search LikeTesla) showing it tested in the real world since the material appears to be the same as what is available in the more expensive S and X lines. I have not heard much "bad" about the material, but maybe someone here in the forum has more experience with the material themselves?

PS, there has been recent conversation in this thread :
    Base Interior?

3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You could also hope that all three of the current colors would be offered for the 3 next year when production semi-stabilizes and 'normal' options are offered (the base battery, AWD, etc.). We've not heard anything about that, but I would like to think that they would have more than black and white for the 3 eventually!

4. generalpenn

generalpenn Member

The obvious answer is that it depends....right? I mean, every decision has a trade-off. So black will get hotter in summer, but it can look luxurious. White (if it is indeed the same "vegan leather" that's in the Model S) is actually the easiest to clean. Also, if your exterior is a dark or vibrant color then white can be a really sharp contrast, maybe less so if your exterior is silver, for example.

Also, congrats on your order! This is an amazing family we're a part of now, and I truly wish you the best!

5. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Many owners of white interiors still get issues with dye transfer from clothing, like blue jeans etc. It's simply more upkeep.

6. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Well-Known Member

#6 Garlan Garner, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    But there is also good news if you look for it. I don't know what's going on now-a-days. Why is it that when a question is asked about something people gravitate towards the negative or pessimistic about a thing? That didn't used to be the case some 30-40 years ago. Here are a few videos that I think are honest and not just listing bad things about the seats.

Honestly I think black seats get just as dirty as white seats, however dark seats hide the filth better.

• Informative x 1
  7. VeraC

VeraC Member

thanks.

8. VeraC

VeraC Member

That is a great point! This could really be an issue especially for a woman.

9. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

I'll point out that the video does not show the current white interior. That is an older ventilated seat that they discontinued (who knows, perhaps that was the reason).

• Like x 1
  10. 03DSG

03DSG Member

Apparently they wore badly and would crease after time.

11. evster

evster Member

Black and Tan leather = Yes, they wore badly and crease. Ultra White quite the opposite. this is the reason why Tesla now have changed to Ultrafabric for Creme and Black as well and got rid of the low quality leather. Also the perforations as shown in the video caused the main issues with wear. Excellent move by Tesla to move to Ultrafabric for all interior colors!

12. 03DSG

03DSG Member

It's my understanding that all the white seats including the ones in question were always synthetic. The problem was the durability of the perforated ones not the smooth ones.

13. EXOTIC1

EXOTIC1 Member

White all day long as it looks great!
    have Designo (white leather) on my AMG cars
    you will get dye transfer from some garments but magic eraser is your friend!
    pretty easy up keep and it looks amazing

14. X Fan

X Fan Supporting Member

30K in white; love them.

Clean easily, and much cooler in lovely SW Fl & SE NC summers....as you know Richmond is no picnic in the summer either.

• Informative x 1
  15. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Welcome to the TMC forums and the Tesla family.

The advantage you have is that, by the time you get your Model 3, there should be a lot of first-hand testimonials from other Model 3 owners regarding the various upholstery options. Also, you will likely have an opportunity to see Model 3s yourself, either in a showroom or out-and-about, before you have to make your decision.