Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whitestar name ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla B6831-T248-R13000... Oh wait... That is drivetrain 1.0
Maybe the Tesla B6831-T280-R15000 ?
(just kidding).

Perhaps R variants for Roadster and S variants for sedan.
Range estimates do seem to be the best choice even though they are a bit fuzzy.

R220
R120-GT (lightweight pack - higher performance)
S180
S500-RE (generator range extender)

I also like "Sedan." The only trouble is that Tesla intends to sell more than one model of sedan, so they'll need some way to distinguish the one from the other. The number/letter designation is problematic, whether you go by range or power. Range is determined late and changes at government's whim (note last year's major highway cycle rework), and nobody wants next year's model number to drop dramatically from this year's. Power isn't likely to work well either, mostly because I think both models of sedan will have the same ouput, so it doesn't do the job of differentiation.

I suppose the model name + letter code thing (maybe EV and RE?) could work Ok; there are certainly lots of GT's and LS's out there, so it would be familiar. And unoriginal. Perhaps instead they should just give them two unique names. If they were going to do that, I'd go for something related to Nikola Tesla himself; maybe the pure EV could be the "coil" and the RE version the "polyphase." Ok, maybe not the last one....but I do like coil.

BTW, vfx, my cat is named "cat" ...just like his mother was. What's the point of naming an animal that won't come when you call it?

Well it looks like the name is now "Model S".

Tesla to build new electric sedan in Bay Area
Tax breaks for Tesla, Model S sedan to get 225 miles, cost $60k - AutoblogGreen

ABG has this to say:
Tesla used the Governor's visit as an opportunity to formally announce its new "multi-use sport sedan," currently codenamed Model S...
ABG seems unclear as to whether "Model S" truly is the name for the sedan or just another codename. I can't say I particularly care for the name. Like most things, I'd bet it's still subject to change.

Attachments

• Roadster.JPG
    Roadster.JPG
    19.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
blast from the past, but the reactions here are sorta funny. Now the name is accepted and now we're guessing bluestar (GEN III) and roadster 3.0 as like Model T, Model R and perhaps Model C for the coupe or convertible. In the end, I think the nomenclature worked. Certainly better than the "Elon" or... "Earth 2" ;)