Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who achieves their EPA rated Wh/mi?

Who achieves their EPA rated Wh/mi?

• Yes I routinely get the EPA rated Wh/mi

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • No but rarely yes. I only get the EPA rated Wh/mi when I consciously try

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • No. I never get the EPA rated Wh/mi. I have a lead foot and like my cabin toasty.

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was discussing the recent Porsche Taycan dismal EPA range on another forum. Someone challenged me to provide data regarding the real world mileage with EVs.
Tried searching and didn't find it.
So here is a go at getting some data real world.
References below.
Happy to update references if anyone has the Model 3 or new Raven data.
  • Model S 60 (s/w limited 75): 210 rated miles * 295 Wh/mi = ~62 kWh usable
  • Model S 75: 249 rated miles * 295 Wh/mi = ~73.5 kWh usable
  • Model S 60D (s/w limited 75): 218 rated miles * 285 Wh/mi = ~62.1 kWh usable
  • Model S 75D: 259 rated miles * 285 Wh/mi = ~73.8 kWh usable
  • Model S 90D: 294 rates miles * 285 Wh/mi = ~83.8 kWh usable
  • Model S P100D: 315 rated miles * 314 Wh/mi = ~98.9 kWh usable (* Estimated Wh/mi)
  • Model X 75D: 237 rated miles * 320 Wh/mi = ~75.8 kWh usable
  • Model X 90D: 257 rated miles * 320 Wh/mi = ~82.2 kWh usable
  • Model X P100D: 289 rated miles * 342 Wh/mi = ~98.8 kWh usable

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Sandiegodoug
On my LR Raven X with 20” OEM I was averaging 270 wh/mi before winter set in. Now it’s more like 330 wh/mi. EPA is around 308 wh/mi.

EPA does not factor in heat or cold weather.

My Model 3 was 230 wh/mi summer and 270 wh/mi winter with 19” OEM AWD (stealth). EPA was around 241 wh/mi

it really doesn’t matter if you get above or below EPA. If you get worse than EPA on a Tesla you’ll most likely get worse than EPA on the Porsche by a similar margin. It’s just a comparison tool.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChadS
If you get worse than EPA on a Tesla you’ll most likely get worse than EPA on the Porsche by a similar margin. It’s just a comparison tool.

On my Porsche GT3 even with a lead foot, I get EPA mileage.

I have a Model X P100D and averaging 450Wh/mi. No reason to try to achieve EPA rating.

Similarly my wife never tries to achieve the EPA rating. Lifetime Wh/mi is 420

On my Porsche GT3 even with a lead foot, I get EPA mileage.

Similarly my wife never tries to achieve the EPA rating. Lifetime Wh/mi is 420

I was referring to a Porsche EV.

Your wife might get 120 miles out of a Taycan.

You didn’t state if your was Raven or if you had 22” wheels. Performance EPA on Model S/X is a significant hit.

It drops from 328 to 272 miles range on a Raven to include Performance and 22” wheels. That brings it to 368 wh/mi for EPA. If it’s a non Raven, Performance with 22” wheels it probably approaches 400 wh/mi to meet EPA. Your wife might not be that far off. But we have no idea because you left out important details.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that ICE vehicles regularly game the EPA ratings by designing their engines/transmissions to work best at the speeds the EPA tests at, which is why when you go above those speeds, the rated numbers don't align at all.

Not sure if EVs are subject to the same trend.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kiran
If I turn HVAC off, I can get EPA almost every time - if I stay under 65mph. I can beat EPA if I enable chill mode and ease up on my foot. If I drive normal, setting everything to auto at my liking; I'm routinely 25% over EPA ratings.

• Informative
Reactions: Hebert
Car seems to be doing better as it ages. I can achieve 330-340wh/mi on the OEM 20" wheel/tire combo in normal SoCal highway/local driving, even with my lead foot. Not too far off the rated efficiency. With some effort, I can bring it below 320wh/mi. This is for the Model X.

The Model 3 is a different story. 320wh/mi is my average over 28k miles. It's very difficult to drop it below 300wh/mi.

Car seems to be doing better as it ages. I can achieve 330-340wh/mi on the OEM 20" wheel/tire combo in normal SoCal highway/local driving, even with my lead foot. Not too far off the rated efficiency. With some effort, I can bring it below 320wh/mi. This is for the Model X.

The Model 3 is a different story. 320wh/mi is my average over 28k miles. It's very difficult to drop it below 300wh/mi.

What year is your X?

As your tires start to wear you will get better efficiency due to lower rolling resistance.

• Informative
Reactions: Simon21