Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who achieves their EPA rated Wh/mi?

Who achieves their EPA rated Wh/mi?

• Yes I routinely get the EPA rated Wh/mi

Votes: 29 41.4%
  • No but rarely yes. I only get the EPA rated Wh/mi when I consciously try

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • No. I never get the EPA rated Wh/mi. I have a lead foot and like my cabin toasty.

Votes: 18 25.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...real...

Unlike ICE, even with a worn-out battery from almost 90,000 miles, 2012 85kWh Model S still did pretty well:

24 miles driven on the road but it only used 21 Rated miles on the battery gauge with a maximum speed of 70 MPH at times, and with Air Conditioning to cool down to 69F while the outdoor was 82F.

upload_2019-12-18_13-46-18.png

Unlike ICE, even with a worn-out battery from almost 90,000 miles, 2012 85kWh Model S still did pretty well:

24 miles driven on the road but it only used 21 Rated miles on the battery gauge with a maximum speed of 70 MPH at times, and with Air Conditioning to cool down to 69F while the outdoor was 82F.

View attachment 489767
I have been told Teslafi does not do a good job showing the average power consumption. Something about only polling power data a few times a minute. I have noticed it does not jive with the car trip meter, some times significantly. I have never seen 240 Wh/mi at speed, perhaps there was a prevailing west wind in the central valley that Teslafi did not pick up?

Our 2013 MS85 has a lifetime average of 322Wh/mi. Some of our Goodyear Eagles RSA-2s dropped below 40PSI about 2K miles ago. We refilled them to 45PSI and reset Trip B and are seeing an average of 305Wh/mi over the last 2K miles. The car generally sees slow-and-go traffic in morning traffic and speeds of 70-84mph in the evenings. We've been accustomed to the 17% below the stated rated range estimate.

We make sure to "overcharge" 20% of the estimated distance to the next Supercharging while road-tripping. (ie. if the trip computer says to charge to 50% SOC, we'll go to at least 60%).

I suspect a droopy front lower cowl might be creating more drag. I've been meaning to fix that but need to pick up some of those plastic fasteners.

MS 75D 2017. For 8 months of the year, I get slightly better than rated mileage, averaging about 270 watts/mile on the highway at 70 MPH. Short trips are much higher but that does not matter in terms of range. In the winter, I use 10-20% more on long trips. Much more on short trips around town. Worst case was driving into a 40 MPH wind in 8 degree temperatures where I averaged about 400 watts/mile.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
My 2016 S75 with 21" wheels gives 375Wh/mi with 42000 miles on it.
How do we check last 20000 or so? Mine just shows last 15/30 miles

You just have to make sure no one is going to reset one of your trip meters.

I kept my trip meter B intact in both 2012 Model S and 2017 Model X but Service Center accidentally reset mine in both of them after service. They swore that nobody did so I just have to blame on a software ghost!

So far, my Model 3 trip meter B is still kept intact.

I routinely do better than EPA mileage in my RWD S-60. My last 42,000 miles (of 84,000 in the last three and a half years) have averaged 270 Wh/mile. My local driving is mountains (nothing flat around here), at high altitude (reduced aerodynamic drag), in a four seasons climate (snow tires in winter, of course), with no freeways within 100 miles. However, most of my miles are from long road trips, so lots of high speed driving on those.

In October I did a 6159 mile road trip to the Midwest in mostly cool weather (30s, 40s, 50s) and averaged 294 Wh/mile. I believe the EPA mileage for my old-style S-60 is 300 Wh/mile.

Last edited:
The issue with this is that it doesn't account for energy loss due to heating the cabin, ac, and other random stuff. I have found my car to run 15-20% of the stated wh/mi. What you see is probably the energy it takes to spin the wheels lol.
That's incorrect. The Wh/mile is how much energy the car is consuming from the battery which includes everything that draws power (HVAC, MCU, lights, stereo amp, etc).

That's incorrect. The Wh/mile is how much energy the car is consuming from the battery which includes everything that draws power (HVAC, MCU, lights, stereo amp, etc).

Then why is it my 2018 model s 100d will say only 40.4 kw used in my drive yesterday but my actual battery used was 47%? But the stated wh/mi matches the 40.4 kw used. There's a 15% inefficiency somewhere I cannot logistically calculate ever.

My model 3 has around a 10% differential between real kw used vs kw remaining on battery.

Last edited:
It would be nice if they had a slightly better focus on keeping humidity down. The "auto" just seems super dumb.

Absolutely. I'm really surprised I haven't seen more about this issue. When I asked sc manager about humidity, he said 'it's to be expected in EVs because you don't have the hot exhaust under the car warming it up!!!

Correct. Keep in mind that preheating/preconditioning is not included though and can fool folks into thinking they are doing better because their display average is lower. ;)

318wh/m lifetime average for a 2014 S85 with 84,000miles. Live in MN. Much colder than average and half of my mileage is on snow tires.

I’m very confident I’d get EPA #’s if I lived in a more “average” climate. I don’t make any special efforts to drive efficiently.

I can and sometimes do achieve the EPA rating (292 Wh/mi on my car) in mild weather, even at highway speeds. When i say mild, I mean mostly late Spring and early fall weather, the kind of weather when you can drive with the windows open and need little or no heat or AC.