Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else here order new Tesla because of FSD transferring program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it is totally a mess on this FSD transfer program. The customer like me never understands the process for the program.

Today I received an email saying, my FSD option has been removed from my order. I was asked by Tesla guys to pick the FSD option because I need to move my FSD option from the old Model 3 to the new order. Few days ago, I was asked to pay the total amount with the FSD option, and now the FSD is removed automatically, with no one from Tesla telling me what happened.

FSD was removed from my order too, and I am in US. Now I feel a little better seeing it happened to someone else transferring. I sent a note to the Customer Experience Manager at my local Tesla to see why it was removed.

Perhaps, they had to remove it due to some accounting reason? If its on the order they counted it as a new sale with a $15K credit and maybe that was deemed improper?

Perhaps we will get answers today and see why this occurred.

FSD was removed from my order too, and I am in US. Now I feel a little better seeing it happened to someone else transferring. I sent a note to the Customer Experience Manager at my local Tesla to see why it was removed.

Perhaps, they had to remove it due to some accounting reason? If its on the order they counted it as a new sale with a $15K credit and maybe that was deemed improper?

Perhaps we will get answers today and see why this occurred.
Thanks. I also sent a note to the CS who claimed in charge of my order. Pls report here if you find anything. I will report here if I find anything.

Today they removed FSD from my order with no one told me what happened.
Same thing happened to me last night at 10:02pm pacific time. My delivery is on Thursday. I texted/e-mailed but have not heard back yet. Let me know if you find out something, and I will post if I do as well.

Old model 3 still shows FSD. New Model X delivery for Thursday is showing FSD removed from invoice now. 😒

Got another response from Tesla

"A case to request FSD transferred to the new Model Y has been already opened and is still in process. Usually 72 hours prior to your delivery appointment the configuration details should be updated and will also be reflected on the documents that you will sign at delivery. Note that FSD transfer will happen post delivery"

Any idea if we'll see FSD leave the old vehicle before delivery? I want some kind of positive confirmation that the transfer is set before I take delivery tomorrow 🤔.
Numerous reports show it gets removed with an on-screen message in vehicle that the car was returned to the original configuration. It happens about a week before delivery of the new car

Reactions: richyrich and Cce32
Any idea if we'll see FSD leave the old vehicle before delivery? I want some kind of positive confirmation that the transfer is set before I take delivery tomorrow 🤔.
Replying back as I got ahold of Tesla on the phone and asked for an e-mail confirming this:
I'm writing to confirm that we have received your signed FSD transfer form and that it has been properly processed. In regards to your recent configuration change, you are no longer required to order your vehicle with FSD. The FSD transfer is initiated post-delivery.
So it sounds like it is no longer expected that you have FSD on the destination vehicle. On the phone they told me FSD would be delivered within 48 hours after delivery. I asked for an e-mail just so I have a record things are confirmed on their end just in case I take delivery and something somehow falls through. They also confirmed now that my old Model 3 will keep FSD until delivery/trade-in happen. Will post back after I take delivery and get FSD to confirm.

My transfer went smoothly, inventory car from Irvine, CA location, delivery July 31st. I got the popup on the original cars screen explaining FSD had been transferred and when I picked up the new car it showed in the options and once I confirmed all the on-screen settings, cameras calibrated, and I drove a few miles I was able to engage FSD.
Never had to select the FSD option on the new vehicle (that would have scared me).

Reactions: richyrich
Last edited:
Just got another e-mail from Tesla

"We wanted to reach out to you once more to clarify some details regarding transferring FSD. I just got a word from our contract generation team and they confirm that your FSD will get transferred to the new Tesla Model Y however the documents will not reflect that since you are not purchasing the option again you are only transferring it from your existing vehicle.
Let us know should you have any other questions"

Just got another e-mail from Tesla

"We wanted to reach out to you once more to clarify some details regarding transferring FSD. I just got a word from our contract generation team and they confirm that your FSD will get transferred to the new Tesla Model Y however the documents will not reflect that since you are not purchasing the option again you are only transferring it from your existing vehicle.
Let us know should you have any other questions"
I received two txts from Tesla today
1. FSD will be added to the car within 24hrs after delivery (note there really isn't HW4 FSD yet, so what do we get EAP?)
2. FSD will be removed from the current car, after you "accept delivery" of the new car. Previously it was one week prior or thereabouts.

Definitely a process change. Doesn't surprise me. When Elon announced the program at the investor discussion I suspected it was off the cuff as in the morning, the local SC had no information yet. The FAX web page took a week to come out and there were at least 2 versions of the transfer doc. So we float along with the local SC's learning this as they go.

It makes sense that you wouldn’t order the new vehicle with FSD, otherwise it needs paying for or crediting, which will be a mess. You’d also probably pay tax on FSD. So I’m not surprised they remove it from the new order and handle the transfer separately.

It makes sense that you wouldn’t order the new vehicle with FSD, otherwise it needs paying for or crediting, which will be a mess. You’d also probably pay tax on FSD. So I’m not surprised they remove it from the new order and handle the transfer separately.
I agree. I think that this new post delivery process makes more sense in general. Specifically in the case of someone who starts to initiate the FSD transfer and then for whatever reason does *not* take delivery of the new car this prevents them from losing FSD and not getting the new car.

I wonder if Tesla will look back at this as a trial run for them allowing customers to do this in the future in general? It would seem like customers buying a new Tesla and trading in or selling their old one would likely help the company since it would increase demand? 🤷‍♂️

I'm happy to pay for FSD once, maybe twice if we own two Tesla's simultaneously... but a third time in 10-12 years would not feel great.