Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has done their own LTE upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a quote a received from Tesla for this retrofit on AUG 2015 TMS 85.
Looks overpriced to me
View attachment 509903

This quote is for the retrofit where Tesla does the upgrade for you. Yes, it does seem overpriced, especially when there are reports of others getting this for ~350 USD. Unfortunately, this is standard now. Converting to USD - this is very similar to what I was quoted.

If you are handy and comfortable opening up the MCU, you can go to the service / parts dept in your service center, give them the part numbers and DIY, which will be way cheaper.

all this and 5G right around the corner.....

I don't see the point with 5G for our older cars TBH. 4G LTE was a major upgrade over 3G considering streaming and navigation, which our MCU1s can handle. Anything more and the computer is too weak to process it. Unlike 3G, even with 4G, the bottleneck becomes our computer, not the network. 4G LTE has been there since before the 1st MS launched, and it will be there for long after our cars break down. As of now, 5G is only used in high density areas (unless you talk about T-Mobile who combine it with their low-band 600Mhz spectrum to cover coverage gaps, which wouldn't give much latency improvements). The biggest advantage I see will be for newer vehicles that can utilize the low latency for FSD & car-to-car communication - think swarm cars talking to each other. This is just an observation from an amateur enthusiast, the experts' opinion may vary :)

I don't see the point with 5G for our older cars TBH. 4G LTE was a major upgrade over 3G considering streaming and navigation, which our MCU1s can handle. Anything more and the computer is too weak to process it. Unlike 3G, even with 4G, the bottleneck becomes our computer, not the network. 4G LTE has been there since before the 1st MS launched, and it will be there for long after our cars break down. As of now, 5G is only used in high density areas (unless you talk about T-Mobile who combine it with their low-band 600Mhz spectrum to cover coverage gaps, which wouldn't give much latency improvements). The biggest advantage I see will be for newer vehicles that can utilize the low latency for FSD & car-to-car communication - think swarm cars talking to each other. This is just an observation from an amateur enthusiast, the experts' opinion may vary :)

5G will be important when LTE phases out. However that is a long time away....