Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has done their own LTE upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My LTE upgrade was free. Since att will be dumping 3g soon, they want Tesla to get rid of 3g connections.
Did you request the LTE upgrade and they did it for free? Or did they do it as part of an MCU replacement or some other service? When I asked about the upgrade a few months ago they just told me it was $500 so I deferred. I figure my MCU is going to bite the dust one of these days (hopefully in next 1.5 years while I still have warranty coverage) and hopefully any replacement will just have LTE.

Did you request the LTE upgrade and they did it for free? Or did they do it as part of an MCU replacement or some other service? When I asked about the upgrade a few months ago they just told me it was $500 so I deferred. I figure my MCU is going to bite the dust one of these days (hopefully in next 1.5 years while I still have warranty coverage) and hopefully any replacement will just have LTE.

Exactly. Anyone who wants the update is far better off waiting. It used to be that LTE provided a faster connection than 3g, but Tesla/att started throttling it to the same speed as 3g. This pissed off a ton of folks who previously paid for the upgrade in order to have faster map updates and music loading when what they'd paid for was neutered.

When they replaced my MCU, I asked them if they had to upgrade to LTE. I was concerned that I might not continue getting 3g which is more widely available the LTE. It turns out I can still get 3g but if it had not been the case, I was going to ask them not to do LTE but they told me that HAD to give me LTE even if I didn't want it.

It is pretty simple to install the LTE upgrade onto our cars. Just takes about 1.5 hour to do. Parts are around 150 at the SC but I heard that they are not allowing us to buy the SIM card anymore. We still have 4 SIM cards on order with SC for some of our friends and family's cars.
So, I pulled out the MCU to get the eMMC chip replaced. I’d like to upgrade to LTE since everything is apart and the labor will be minor. Can anyone give me a bit more information on the steps to do the upgrade?

So, I pulled out the MCU to get the eMMC chip replaced. I’d like to upgrade to LTE since everything is apart and the labor will be minor. Can anyone give me a bit more information on the steps to do the upgrade?

You can try to visit SC with your old sim, I heard they will exchange it to a new LTE sim if you exchange yours and buy the modem.

It's PNP if you can get the sim.

Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
I just tried this through Tesla. They will sell the modem for $85 but the sim is restricted. You cannot get the sim card through them. I ordered a sim/modem unit from ebay and plan to do this myself. Let me know how you make out.

Reactions: TonyT
I just spoke with the local service center (West Palm Beach, FL). I was told it is $109 for the board and SIM card kit. He said that it is “likely” plug and play, but in some instances it will require a software push. The software push is 1 hour of labor ($175). FWIW, to do the entire project is only 2 hours labor. So I am looking at a $175 gamble. They have the cards in stock. I am likely going to take the gamble and see if it works. Anyone out there tried to replace the card and had it fail? I don’t mind the $110 for the card, but the software push at $175 is highway robbery! Maybe I’ll take donuts to the service department and see if I can get a hook up if the software push is needed

• Informative
I just spoke with the local service center (West Palm Beach, FL). I was told it is $109 for the board and SIM card kit. He said that it is “likely” plug and play, but in some instances it will require a software push. The software push is 1 hour of labor ($175). FWIW, to do the entire project is only 2 hours labor. So I am looking at a $175 gamble. They have the cards in stock. I am likely going to take the gamble and see if it works. Anyone out there tried to replace the card and had it fail? I don’t mind the $110 for the card, but the software push at $175 is highway robbery! Maybe I’ll take donuts to the service department and see if I can get a hook up if the software push is needed

No software push is needed. at least never in any I've done, which is more than 5...

Last edited:
4101B39B-40F4-4DC7-9EA3-F842B22F04D3.jpeg
No I didn’t bring my old sim in. I spoke with service and they said that they would sell me the LTE board for $85 but not the sim because it’s a restricted part. He then went on to say that if I change anything in the MCU they will know about it because I’ll “break a seal” and he MCU would no longer be covered under a warranty. Hey if anyone’s service center is selling them SIM cards I’d be a very happy guy if you could get one for me and I’ll pay you. Obviously I have one of the restrictive service centers near me.

• Informative
Video to help with upgrade
Lol- I just found that last night and was going to post it here!!! One question, when I took off the 3G board, one of the screws stuck in the bolt underneath and separated from the board below. Like you suggested, I removed it using a small socket. Can I just put he board back without securing that bolt or should I try to secure it with epoxy superglue or something else?
4C06A708-B451-4AFA-AF85-8E8FD6B7F73C.jpeg