Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had some back and forth with that guy on the other board. He seems to think that we should only use the Pirelli winter tire that Tesla sells. And he keeps saying there is no issue with the car. Not sure why, but he doesn’t get that some of us need a more serious winter tire than the Pirelli and the car should be able to deal with any reasonable tire that’s installed.

We had a douche like that in this thread named mswlogo same concept says we are doing stuff wrong and it’s our fault and nothings wrong with it

I had some back and forth with that guy on the other board. He seems to think that we should only use the Pirelli winter tire that Tesla sells. And he keeps saying there is no issue with the car. Not sure why, but he doesn’t get that some of us need a more serious winter tire than the Pirelli and the car should be able to deal with any reasonable tire that’s installed.

Some people just aren't capable of comprehending things.

How do you like your Nokean WRG4? I was also very interested in this tire for the winter swap out.

I have been using Nokian WRG line of tires for my winter commutes in Ontario continually over the last ten years, from when I lived in the snow-heavy SS Marie area (120 inches of average annual snowfalls), a form of driving hell in northern Ontario's 2-lane TransCanada Hwy winter driving conditions not often seen even once since my return to the southern Ontario and GTA vicinity eight years ago. I've never felt the need for more aggressive dedicated snow tires than these WRGs, even during high speed winter commutes of 125 km/h on the 401 for my all-year driving, starting with WRG2 on a front-wheel-drive VW Golf, then WRG3 on a low-slung rear-wheel-drive Porsche 911 for year-round driving, through to the current WRG4 series on the Model 3 RWD. I expect the current series of these 4-seasons Nokians to be the best yet and that they are going to be perfectly suited for the Model 3 - they are designated as low rolling resistance for noise and range considerations - and recommended by Nokian officially for electric cars, due to their extra heavy load carrying capacity. The Model 3 also has the advantage that its low-slung CoG and Tesla's excellent torque management at any speed is already ahead of the game when it comes to winter behaviour. So far, my wife and I are very pleased with the tire. We expect not only great winter traction, but also great summer driving with these tires on our speed-limited highways compared to Europe where these tires are made. After swapping out the stock Michelin Primacy all-season tires on the aero rims with these all-weathers, I immediately noticed the enhanced feel and control, and better balance overall compared to even the good feel of the original Michelins that were on the car before, so that was a pleasant surprise as I had not wanted to sacrifice the feel. As a last point, I do expect to turn OFF the car's great Standard Regen during my winter driving to achieve better defence against slippery situations (just like not using cruise control on slippery roads). Finally, I'm only writing this as a reply and response to AnesDragon's specific inquiry based on my choice and not as a recommendation.

Last edited:
As previously stated I have the Tesla Pirellis and have the exact same regen issues. I finally got a response to my executive escalation and it looks like Tesla is working on a fix:

We currently have this concern under investigation and are working on a solution with our engineers. The car is safe to drive in this state and we recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency until a fix can be rolled out.

As previously stated I have the Tesla Pirellis and have the exact same regen issues. I finally got a response to my executive escalation and it looks like Tesla is working on a fix:

We currently have this concern under investigation and are working on a solution with our engineers. The car is safe to drive in this state and we recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency until a fix can be rolled out.
thanks for sharing!

That's great news, keep us posted!

Just to provide a balanced perspective for those making future purchasing decisions (example RWD vs AWD) purely off of this thread, I want to reiterate that there are RWD cars that are doing fine with winter tires on. We’ve been experiencing up to -12C with light snow/ice and still have significant Regen when the battery is not cold soaked.

My view is that the more aggressive and “smoother” Regen for RWD in 42.4 is a huge improvement vs. the old. Passengers are less likely to be motion sick (more fluid deceleration) and I’m seeing less of an effect of cold weather on the Regen limitations (less dots at lower temperatures than with summers & older firmware).

As Tesla is now investigating I would expect a resolution at some point, but this seems not to be a problem for all RWDs with winter tires

I think for those who are purchasing RWD or AWD, I wouldn't let this thread affect your purchase decision. In my opinion, a good set of winter tires on RWD should be more than fine for winter driving.

It sounds like Tesla is aware of the issue is going to fix it just like when they first release the Dashcam function and users were reporting an "X" where it doesn't record. Tesla has since fixed the issue.

Reactions: noicepls
Just to provide a balanced perspective for those making future purchasing decisions (example RWD vs AWD) purely off of this thread, I want to reiterate that there are RWD cars that are doing fine with winter tires on. We’ve been experiencing up to -12C with light snow/ice and still have significant Regen when the battery is not cold soaked.

My view is that the more aggressive and “smoother” Regen for RWD in 42.4 is a huge improvement vs. the old. Passengers are less likely to be motion sick (more fluid deceleration) and I’m seeing less of an effect of cold weather on the Regen limitations (less dots at lower temperatures than with summers & older firmware).

As Tesla is now investigating I would expect a resolution at some point, but this seems not to be a problem for all RWDs with winter tires

Where are you that you’re getting -12 already??? That does provide hope that once the temps drop and the rubber firms the problem will go away.

Where are you that you’re getting -12 already??? That does provide hope that once the temps drop and the rubber firms the problem will go away.

Yes, I used to live near the “centre of the universe”, but have for the last 10 years been in Alberta :p . Woke up this morning hand checked the temp before leaving -12 :( Luckily Calgary is forecast to see a high of +5 this weekend!

Yeah, I also noticed that the regen has been improved after the temperature has gotten a bit colder. Does Tesla have the capacity to push server side updates to the car? Meaning, they can change a parameter for the car without having the push a firmware update. In software development, this is a pretty basic feature. I noticed my car was in deep sleep this morning which was unusual, prompting me to consider this possibility.

I'm in Vancouver, BC for reference.

Yeah, I also noticed that the regen has been improved after the temperature has gotten a bit colder. Does Tesla have the capacity to push server side updates to the car? Meaning, they can change a parameter for the car without having the push a firmware update. In software development, this is a pretty basic feature. I noticed my car was in deep sleep this morning which was unusual, prompting me to consider this possibility.

I'm in Vancouver, BC for reference.

I doubt this, this sounds like a security concern. They'll patch it and release in a small "small fixes" patch like they usually do.

I got winter ties on but I'm pretty sure I noticed this regen issue right after the last update, the one that supposedly added more aggressive regen.

Got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s installed on my 18" Aero wheels a few weeks back. I noticed the limited regen right away and thought it odd, but attributed it to the cold weather limited regen at first. Then we had a day that was +18C and still limited/no regen so I started paying more attention. I did a reset of the computer, tried turning regen from std to low and back again; nothing helped. I also started to notice that at slow speeds the regen seemed normal but at normal in-town and highway speeds no regen. I was thinking of asking if anyone else has noticed this behaviour, so thanks for starting this thread. Sounds like my car's behaviour is exactly the same as yours.

Since I got my tires swapped at Kal Tire and I'm using my original rims and TPMS sensors, I find it strange that the car knows I've got winter tires on. I could see Tesla programming for limited regen when roads are possibly poor, but why at +18C? And it strikes me as *really* odd that someone who has winter tires gets limited regen, but someone on the same roads in the same conditions, but with all-season (or even performance!) tires would still have regular regen. They'd be the ones far more likely to lose traction from stronger regen. Odd programming decisions. I guess that's what you get when you have Californians coding software for cars in a Canadian winter.

Same here got the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3's on with the aero rims, and regen is basically nothing till under 20 MPH or so...

I doubt this, this sounds like a security concern. They'll patch it and release in a small "small fixes" patch like they usually do.

I got winter ties on but I'm pretty sure I noticed this regen issue right after the last update, the one that supposedly added more aggressive regen.

I noticed it a week before the update to 42.2 when my tires were out on...