Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happy for you guys but the issue here is with winter tires - yours are all-season right? My guess is Tesla did something clever that works well with the compounds in all-season but not so well with winters.

No, the WRG4 tires are not all-seasons. They are all-weathers and have a significant amount of winter-tread, so are absolutely germane to winter-tire discussions. Although they don't compete with true snow tires, all-weather tires have only slightly less winter performance. Check out these two links below:

Your Corner Wrench: Are all-weather tires worth the trouble?

The difference between all-weather and all-season tires

I am experiencing low regen after putting Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires onto my Tesla Aero Rims with OEM TPMS. I updated to 42.2 today which included Increased Regen as part of the release notes. I do feel stronger regen that kicks in above 30km/hr now, but still feels not as strong as when I had my all-season tires on. My battery was cold from parking outside all day and there were dotted lines on the screen (cold battery). I'll try it out a bit more tomorrow to see how it feels

You sure the battery usage being up +20% is strictly due to the reduced regen? I'd expect the following plays an even bigger role:
  • colder temps - this alone can cause a 20% or more reduction in efficiency
  • new tires offer more rolling resistance than ones worn in
  • snow tires offer more rolling resistance than summer/all-season tires
  • wet, snowy roads (if applicable in your area)
The loss of regen is also contributing, but I doubt it's causing anything close to 20% loss of efficiency.

I don't. To and from work everyday would run me 20-21%, consistently. After the tire switch I'm now ~28%.

Will you be buying extra wheels set for OEM primacy tires? Which is best winter tire option for SE Michigan ?Nikon R3 or Michelin ice / Bridgestone blizak

QUOTE="I am 3LECTRIC, post: 3164792, member: 76539"]I am experiencing low regen after putting Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires onto my Tesla Aero Rims with OEM TPMS. I updated to 42.2 today which included Increased Regen as part of the release notes. I do feel stronger regen that kicks in above 30km/hr now, but still feels not as strong as when I had my all-season tires on. My battery was cold from parking outside all day and there were dotted lines on the screen (cold battery). I'll try it out a bit more tomorrow to see how it feels[/QUOTE]

Will you be buying extra wheels set for OEM primacy tires? Which is best winter tire option for SE Michigan ?Nikon R3 or Michelin ice / Bridgestone blizak

I am experiencing low regen after putting Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires onto my Tesla Aero Rims with OEM TPMS. I updated to 42.2 today which included Increased Regen as part of the release notes. I do feel stronger regen that kicks in above 30km/hr now, but still feels not as strong as when I had my all-season tires on. My battery was cold from parking outside all day and there were dotted lines on the screen (cold battery). I'll try it out a bit more tomorrow to see how it feels

I've already mounted the OEM all-season tires onto a new set of rims with aftermarket TPMS. Can't wait to wear the new rims in the Spring! I picked Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for their reputation, durability and quiet ride. I'll find out how they are when the Canadian Winter hits in (hopefully) 2-3 months

Been following this thread for a little while and I have been experiencing the same symptoms with my regen with the stock set up (LR RWD w/ Aeros). Will report back once I have my winter tires set up in a few weeks. Just received 42.2 today.

88AD06A7-289E-4620-9C0E-4FA87DBE72DC.jpeg
464FD7A0-3593-4A69-A3C0-ACB74366317A.jpeg
Ahhh, I get it now.

Mine are a little bigger.

From the other board. The founder contacted Tesla and was told this:

In regards to the loss of regen braking after your recent winter tire swap, the tires that have been put on the vehicle are not Tesla specific. The Model 3 was made so that it fits and is more specific to “Tesla branded” tires – right now we have the Pirelli Sottozero’s for the winter.

The vehicle needs to re-learn and re-calibrate to understand the tread, grip and difference of the ‘new’ tires on the vehicle. It will take almost 500kms of driving on the Continentals for the vehicle to re-calibrate and start using the regen again.

It will take some time so you will experience a loss of regen braking for the time being. It will eventually come back.

Continue to drive and use the brakes, the regen will return after the car has learned and sensed these new tires that have been placed on the car.

If you have any questions, please let us know!

In regards to the loss of regen braking after your recent winter tire swap, the tires that have been put on the vehicle are not Tesla specific. The Model 3 was made so that it fits and is more specific to “Tesla branded” tires – right now we have the Pirelli Sottozero’s for the winter.

The vehicle needs to re-learn and re-calibrate to understand the tread, grip and difference of the ‘new’ tires on the vehicle. It will take almost 500kms of driving on the Continentals for the vehicle to re-calibrate and start using the regen again.

It will take some time so you will experience a loss of regen braking for the time being. It will eventually come back.

Continue to drive and use the brakes, the regen will return after the car has learned and sensed these new tires that have been placed on the car.

That strikes me as a little odd. I can’t recall the S or X needing to do the same during their lifespan thus far. Has anyone else seen or heard of this and I just missed it?

Happy for you guys but the issue here is with winter tires - yours are all-season right? My guess is Tesla did something clever that works well with the compounds in all-season but not so well with winters.

No, these are not all seasons. These are winter tires that you can keep on all year -- they have like 3 treads. The winter performance rating is actually better than the R3s according to KalTire. Another name for them is "all weather". The drawback is the winter performance likely degrades faster if you leave it on all year. But I don't have to jack up this heavy car and risk damaging the battery twice a year.

I'm actually a repeat customer since I've previously had the WRG3-SUV on a Ford Escape and really liked the convenience of not changing tires twice a year.

Reactions: noicepls

Since changing tires, I've driven from Toronto-->Detroit-->Toronto-->London-->Toronto. That's way more than 500km, so I'm wondering how long it actually is.

Thanks for posting this. 500 km seems like a lot. If the car “knows” that new tires have been installed and needs to recalibrate regen, they should show a warning on the screen.

Reactions: navguy12

I really hope this is true, it really sounds like a kick the can down the road sort of reply.

I talked with the service manager in Mississauga this morning, and he told me they're aware of the problem, don't have a solution, and are collecting tire information to pass up the chain.

Interesting. Has anyone with this issue driven 500 km+ yet? Can you confirm that this is true.

If it's true that the M3 will only work properly with the Sottozero's then Tesla needs send out a notice ASAP. Otherwise most people are going to end up installing Ice-X, Blizzak, or Nokian tires and be very annoyed that they have no regen. This thread is going to explode over the next month as people in the northern US install their winter tires.