Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been thinking about this issue, and the only idea I have is a little off the beaten path, but it could explain this issue.

Had a similar issue with my old Mustang a few years ago, where both my acceleration & deceleration (gearing down using manual shift gears) were not what they had been before swapping my tires over. I had them inspected and there was insufficient/no glue applied to the rims before the tires were put on the rims.

Without that glue to insure a proper seal, the car may be reacting as if the tires are slipping on the pavement, when they’re actually slipping on the rims.

Where this issue is so hit or miss, with not all cars being subject to it, this is the only explaination I have thatwould cover it.

• Funny
Reactions: X.l.r.8
Been thinking about this issue, and the only idea I have is a little off the beaten path, but it could explain this issue.

Had a similar issue with my old Mustang a few years ago, where both my acceleration & deceleration (gearing down using manual shift gears) were not what they had been before swapping my tires over. I had them inspected and there was insufficient/no glue applied to the rims before the tires were put on the rims.

Without that glue to insure a proper seal, the car may be reacting as if the tires are slipping on the pavement, when they’re actually slipping on the rims.

Where this issue is so hit or miss, with not all cars being subject to it, this is the only explaination I have thatwould cover it.

You do realize tires are not glued to the RIM?

They apply lubricant (soapy water) to get the bead to snap on to the RIM.

If the rims actually slipped in the tire, you'd have major out of balance issues too. It would be very obvious.

Just heard this from the executive team after submitting a question in my online account:
Hello Anthony,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're looking into this with the appropriate internal teams and hope to have an answer by Wednesday. I will follow up with you.

Thanks again, and sorry for the inconvenience!

Executive Care
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538
1bABt5NeGeGn02bWqYt8pYgpid8TXL4wPs1pBakWZhFdaczbtqy2FPVS4AGApn6dXBafwY-tUnUQ_kCBBWHZce9QYRbjjGHPZL3og5WdER5TI-v00KSY2HnL_5IMrvDzsvEnrkF8h5U4VQEp1wfD4lZtz6nxlA=s0-d-e1-ft

Just wanted to chime in here and say that I switched to 18" OEM aero wheels with Xice Xi3 tires and Tesla TPMS sensors without issue.
Had a few dots after leaving the tire shop but within a few minutes I had full regen again.

so just an update. Had the TPMS reset prompt and set the rims to the new 18" size. Right after doing this I started noticing the regen issue.
Going to try calling Tesla later today.

I'm getting a bit annoyed here.... how long does it take for the to troubleshoot this? My battery usage is at least +20% since this started happening.
You sure the battery usage being up +20% is strictly due to the reduced regen? I'd expect the following plays an even bigger role:
  • colder temps - this alone can cause a 20% or more reduction in efficiency
  • new tires offer more rolling resistance than ones worn in
  • snow tires offer more rolling resistance than summer/all-season tires
  • wet, snowy roads (if applicable in your area)
The loss of regen is also contributing, but I doubt it's causing anything close to 20% loss of efficiency.

You sure the battery usage being up +20% is strictly due to the reduced regen? I'd expect the following plays an even bigger role:
  • colder temps - this alone can cause a 20% or more reduction in efficiency
  • new tires offer more rolling resistance than ones worn in
  • snow tires offer more rolling resistance than summer/all-season tires
  • wet, snowy roads (if applicable in your area)
The loss of regen is also contributing, but I doubt it's causing anything close to 20% loss of efficiency.

yeah, running the heat and a cold pack will do way more to hurt efficiency than less regen.

Reactions: pcons
Just heard this from the executive team after submitting a question in my online account:

I hate to say it but this is a canned response, even though it sounds kind of personal. I got exactly the same response to my ticket. Hopefully they have some ideas and hopefully that idea isn't sending us all back to the tire shop which would be an easy way out. My mileage seems reduced and I haven't used the brakes so much since I got the car - it's like being back in a stinky gasser!

My slight concern is we're really early in the season yet to me this counts as the first "winter issue" - I'm really hoping those California design folks really spent time in cold places and tested winter ownership routines...

Over 800 km on my WRG4s and counting, and yes, no problems at all, touch wood! Now that the new-tread oil film has worn off, the tires feel nicely planted to the road.

Happy for you guys but the issue here is with winter tires - yours are all-season right? My guess is Tesla did something clever that works well with the compounds in all-season but not so well with winters.

The response I got:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We're looking into this with the appropriate internal teams, but in the meantime we recommend switching to low regen mode to increase consistency of the behavior. I will follow up with you once we have additional information.

Thanks again, and sorry for the inconvenience!

Executive Care
45500 Fremont Blvd | Fremont, CA 94538
servlet.ImageServer