Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm pretty sure that's friction brakes being triggered by the regen system as regen tapers off approaching a stop.

So good because you can drive with a single pedal but not sure any additional power is recovered.
There are a few articles I recall reading over a year ago that describe the bolt motors and how they differ from the volt....initially when we got the bolt I thought it would be a simple software update to make the volt operate the same and have Regen bring it to a full stop. But the article talked about how the motors in the bolt do indeed get Regen down to a full stop, so for sure in a volt it would need to apply friction brakes.

Now, if you watch the energy meter in a boly it doesn't fully taper off until the car stops. In the model 3 and the volt the energy capture display goes to zero at about 5-8km/h, so this to me confirms the Regen does indeed go all the way to zero in the bolt.

Either way though, more of the point is that you never need to move your foot over to the brake in the bolt, even if it did apply friction brakes at the end it still has the same net effect. Since the model 3 does apply friction brakes automatically in EAP it should also be capable of taking you to a full stop.

Apologies for the side track to the thread...

• Informative
Reactions: bijan
Wrong. Nobody in the P3D+ thread is reporting issues.

Wrong again. My post said that the issues affects AWD and RWD. There are people on this thread who have and AWD and have reported the issue. Hence logically, the issue affects both AWD and RWD. Your logic that since no one on a P3D+ forum reported the issue means that it doesn't exist on a different model (AWD) doesn't make any sense.

Let me summarize: this forum has AWD drivers who have reported the issue. There are also RWD drivers who have reported the issue. Therefore, the issue affects both AWD and RWD drivers.

Please let me know how I'm wrong in this statement.

• Funny
Reactions: more863-also
Because a far greater proportion of RWD owners are experiencing the issue, meaning if you own an AWD you are less likely to experience this issue.

I'm not talking about a different forum. There is a winter tire thread for AWD and P3D owners in this very forum in which nobody has reported the issue. If the problem existed in AWD models you'd find reports of it in that extremely long thread. On the other hand, every single thread about RWD and winter tires mentions this issue.

Just because smokers and nonsmokers can both get lung cancer doesn't mean smoking doesn't cause cancer. There's some "logic" for you.

Reactions: longshot49
Because a far greater proportion of RWD owners are experiencing the issue, meaning if you own an AWD you are less likely to experience this issue.

I agree that based on reports on here the issue is more reported by RWD drivers. That does not mean that AWD are not affected. The original question is if AWDs have the issue. The answer is yes. Some RWD have reported no problem. So there is some probability or otherwise differences that may cause the issue to appear or not. Just since some RWD don't have the issue doesn't mean there is no issue. Similar to AWD, just because some say they don't have an issue, that there is not an issue.

Regardless of the statistics, I think it's clear that AWD and RWD can experience the problem. Now, if someone asks for the probability it occurs for them, then maybe you can contrive how improbable it might be.

Sorry I don't mean to be an a**, but nominally to simply state the issue doesn't exist for a configuration, where it clearly does, is not fair to people with that configuration who have the issue (like myself and several others on here like pcons).

Right. Once again, I'll defer to my smoking analogy. It sucks you got regen cancer, otoh, I'm really glad it seems AWD models are *****mostly but not entirely***** exempt.

I'm sure you have the evidence to back up your claim (not on smoking, but on the AWD).

My statement is definitely logically correct - there are AWD vehicles that *do* exhibit the issue. I can show you at least 3 cases described on this forum for 3 different drivers and vehicles. One actually includes accelerometer telemetlry showing the issue.

Your statement is an opinion based on your view of the statistics. I'm just stating the facts. "Mostly" and similar adverbs are completely subjective. If you want to state definitive data please show me a real survey and the results.

RWD :)

As a new data point. I traded with a friend that needed/wanted snow tires for his 3D. He preferred the Tesla so called approved setup. I wanted something different. I gave him my Tesla Pirelli's and I took his rims and got the X-ICE3's on rim. (yes I gave him his AS tires back) As mentioned earlier. I had the regen that was inconsistent at various levels even in the Pirelli's. Same with the Michelin X-ICE3's.

As I did. Please reach out to Tesla under help in your My Tesla account. Why one might ask? Service Center while getting my 4 year service on S had heard nothing about the issue nor did the Techs. Most often they don't scrounge these boards for info. Reaching out to them helps them have exact cars to work on.

Has anyone seen an improvement with v46.2?

Also, keep the reports to Tesla flowing using the steps below!

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Ask a Question
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

Reactions: outdoors
Just got winter tires put on (going to be taking trips up a mountain for snowboarding) and immediately noticed this issue. Almost rear ended some people until I figured out what was happening - didn't expect poor regen with no dots ...

I was already kind of kicking myself for not getting AWD, now I _really_ wish I'd gone for it.

I'm on 46.2 and it's still very poor, until about 20-25mph at which point it immediately kicks in. It also sometimes works ok at the very beginning of a deceleration - AP seems to know how to manage it and can get better regen performance at 60mph than I can.

Complained at the Tesla site, let's see if I get added to any early access test groups...

Similar experience here. LR RWD, Michelin X-Ice. Regen is very light at higher speeds, then 'grabs' for lack of a better term at lower speeds. I also put in a report within my account on the Tesla site. Still on .44.2 here.

Exact same experience with my RWD with Continental WinterContact SI tires on stock rims

Just to report back - I had my Continental Winter Contact TS 850P tires installed today. These have the 98V XL rating, same specs as the recommended Sottozeros (tread pattern obviously different).

I have a LR RWD Model 3. Today the temp reading was 5 degrees C and the battery was fully warmed up, i.e. no regen dots.

I have NOT seen any reduction in regen using these tires. This ranges in speeds from highway driving 100+ km/hr, to city driving 60-70km/hr, to the under 30km/hr.. Everything is working as if I had my regular factory all-seasons on.

I will tend to agree with most on these forums - the traction control does not seem to like the squishy winter tires, and the extra firmness in the higher rated tire (98V rating) should allow the car to perform close to spec.

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any questions.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk