Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here is going to lose 3G Connectivity - Feb 2022 when it sunsets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my 11/13 built S85 eMMC replaced under the extended warranty campaign earlier this year before I was aware that 3G wireless was going to sunset; had I known I would have upgraded the modem to LTE at the time. After the eMMC upgrade I noticed smoother application functions and Teslawaze working more reliably. Unfortunately I also noticed that my center display would not load properly about 20% of the time and my wireless connection fails nearly half the time...both requiring a reset and about 5-10 minutes of patience.

This has led me to finally commit to upgrading to MCU2 in hopes that these issues will be resolved with the newer and faster system. I'm both an AM/FM user, but I'm fine with using Tune In for my local channels. In an emergency situation if I'm in a remote area, lost, and in need of a radio...I'll add a cheap crank/solar-powered radio to my emergency kit. I've got a tire inflater, can of fix-a-flat, mylar blankets, granola bars, water, and a first aid kit. I loved our Model S and wish to restore it to its most reliable form pre-2019. The software updates since then seemed to make the car more glitchy and slower at the Supercharger.

@Akikiki, thanks for the additional perspective. I know that what you're saying is intrinsically right. I have no doubt the system will run smoother (screen redraws on MC1 are no fun), look cooler, and bring the car up to the more modern standard. I think it's more of a principle thing with me: We'll take something away from you and then charge you $500 to give it back to you. That's just not vibing with me. I know I can work around it by using Tune In (even though not all of the channels I listen to have a streaming channel on Tune In), and I can a phone app or even a crank radio like @maximizese suggested, but is that really what I want to do? Do I want to have extra devices that I have to engage with while I'm driving, or would I rather have everything right there on the dashboard like every other car on the planet? I'm not discounting what anyone else is saying. These are all legitimate options and at the end of the day, they will work. For me, though, I think I'm going to stick and stay ... although I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to MC2 at some point soon!! Thanks for the input! Love this forum.

@Akikiki, thanks for the additional perspective. I know that what you're saying is intrinsically right. I have no doubt the system will run smoother (screen redraws on MC1 are no fun), look cooler, and bring the car up to the more modern standard. I think it's more of a principle thing with me: We'll take something away from you and then charge you $500 to give it back to you. That's just not vibing with me. I know I can work around it by using Tune In (even though not all of the channels I listen to have a streaming channel on Tune In), and I can a phone app or even a crank radio like @maximizese suggested, but is that really what I want to do? Do I want to have extra devices that I have to engage with while I'm driving, or would I rather have everything right there on the dashboard like every other car on the planet? I'm not discounting what anyone else is saying. These are all legitimate options and at the end of the day, they will work. For me, though, I think I'm going to stick and stay ... although I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading to MC2 at some point soon!! Thanks for the input! Love this forum.
@braoudap, 'k, got it. The nice thing about this decision is, you don't have to decide its MCU2/Radio or MCU2/without Radio or nothing. You have the choice to first do MCU2, and if Tune In doesn't do 100% for you, you go back in and for the very same money later, $500, they will then install the Radio. Yes, XM/FM or FM depending on car and no matter - no AM. But point is MCU2 can be with or without radio and radio later.

I didn't have the choice when I got mine. There was no radio, and it was already $500 more than today's with radio. Wish I had your choice. But I am still satisfied. And I encourage you again, reach out to the local club in Chicago. I bet there's plenty of people that would meet you half way or come to you to show you MCU2 in an older car.

I wish Tesla was giving me an commission for the MCU2's I encouraged people to upgrade to. But nada.

I got my eMMC replaced through the recall process Nov of 2020 and had asked about the 3g sunset then. Tbh, I'm a bit glad Tesla Service (not the SC, a phone rep) talked me out of worrying about it then since its $300 cheaper now for the LTE modem.. Since I have no AP, the MCU2 is a bit hard to justify, albeit tempting. I still have a couple quirks about my MCU1 but otherwise I'm relieved to not have an impending failure looming..

Also, just to throw it out there.. The $200 flat fee cost for the LTE upgrade is probably less than the estimated ~90minutes worth of labor at the local SC.

I got my eMMC replaced through the recall process Nov of 2020 and had asked about the 3g sunset then. Tbh, I'm a bit glad Tesla Service (not the SC, a phone rep) talked me out of worrying about it then since its $300 cheaper now for the LTE modem.. Since I have no AP, the MCU2 is a bit hard to justify, albeit tempting. I still have a couple quirks about my MCU1 but otherwise I'm relieved to not have an impending failure looming..

Also, just to throw it out there.. The $200 flat fee cost for the LTE upgrade is probably less than the estimated ~90minutes worth of labor at the local SC.

I did the eMMC and recall and LTE update at the same time. The $200 flat fee was already in place when I did my recall.
And I agree that without AP (2012 MS P85) the cost for an MCU2 upgrade + $500 to keep FM radio was tough to justify so I stuck with MCU1.
All works great, and I am happy with the result.

If you consider MCU2,... Before you do it, find someone - maybe on here - that lives near you that has done it on their 2012-2013 and see what its like. That will either spoil you and you realize you will be glad you did it, or you will be pleased with your new eMMC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Redfield
I'll stay with 3G until the bitter end.
I'll be the one that squeezes every last ounce of 3G out of the airwaves.
I'm way too strapped for cash right now to pay the 200 that they quoted me from within the application (when I got a repair estimate).
I realize this is quite a bargain compared to the local third party Tesla repair shop, Gruber Motors, that charges 500 for an LTE swap.
Still, I have bigger problems to worry about right now, like an air suspension total failure. Here goes nothing. The car was towed to the SC last night & they took it in today.

I want to wait to get the MCU2 later on in the car's life. I'm curious to see how the car will function without connectivity.
I know my Premium Connectivity Streaming will go away. Oh well. Guess I'll have quieter rides to work after the sunset.
Goodbye to Tesla application monitoring also. Well, those are luxuries I didn't have before buying a MS. So I should be glad I even have an electric car to begin with.
I'll listen to a portable radio on the way to work & I'll use my phone's navigation if I need to. If I require trip planning, I'll use A Better Router Planner if need be, although I don't plan on taking any long distance trips any time in the near future. I think right now is the probably worst time for any of this.

I'll stay with 3G until the bitter end.
I'll be the one that squeezes every last ounce of 3G out of the airwaves.
I'm way too strapped for cash right now to pay the 200 that they quoted me from within the application (when I got a repair estimate).
I realize this is quite a bargain compared to the local third party Tesla repair shop, Gruber Motors, that charges 500 for an LTE swap.
Still, I have bigger problems to worry about right now, like an air suspension total failure. Here goes nothing. The car was towed to the SC last night & they took it in today.

I want to wait to get the MCU2 later on in the car's life. I'm curious to see how the car will function without connectivity.
I know my Premium Connectivity Streaming will go away. Oh well. Guess I'll have quieter rides to work after the sunset.
Goodbye to Tesla application monitoring also. Well, those are luxuries I didn't have before buying a MS. So I should be glad I even have an electric car to begin with.
I'll listen to a portable radio on the way to work & I'll use my phone's navigation if I need to. If I require trip planning, I'll use A Better Router Planner if need be, although I don't plan on taking any long distance trips any time in the near future. I think right now is the probably worst time for any of this.
Could always see if they'd goodwill the replacement since you're in for a couple grand for the shocks.

Reactions: Chris Redfield
So yes, my Wi-Fi doesn't work nor does my Bluetooth.
They both somehow crapped out sometime last Summer without warning.
And once 3G is turned off I will no longer have premium streaming connectivity, therefore no more music on Tesla's own streaming.
Although I do still have a radio signal so maybe I'll use that.
I completely forgot I had access to that!
Thank you guys!

Side note, I have a 2014 MS with included premium streaming. Luckily. But let's see for how much longer. 😊

Could always see if they'd goodwill the replacement since you're in for a couple grand for the shocks.
I'm asking them in the Tesla application "if they would find it their hearts to Goodwill the LTE retrofit for me."

I didn't want to come off as demanding it, so I started it off as "Good morning, Sir. Just a random question..."

I was afraid at first to ask, but then I realized the worst they could possible say was no. They can't kill me or anything. Why was I so hesitant?

Reactions: ElectricIAC
He said it didn't hurt to ask. :)

Screenshot_2022-02-04-12-47-46(1).png

Won't you still be able to listen to the car's radio? Your Internet streaming will go away but not the cars' over the air radio reception.
Yes, Sir. And thanks to you, Sir, I remembered that I have at LEAST that.

Because I'm unhappy to report that my car's 3G is disabled. I got the vehicle back this afternoon (one new air compressor later) & after declining the LTE retrofit, I now have an on screen icon that is indicative of me being in an area with no cellular towers at all. 😞

How did this happen ahead of schedule? I thought sunset was February 22 for AT&T.
Hm. Something's fishy.
Unless it coincidentally happened in the last 48 hours while it was in the SC.

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC