Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here is going to lose 3G Connectivity - Feb 2022 when it sunsets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that for you. From my discussions with some of eMMC 3rd party fixers over the last couple of years, I have learned from them, that all the different functions such as WiFi, BT, Radio, Music streaming even the "apps" that bring up the display are Services. And one of the symptoms of a failing eMMC is the code/files for those Services is corrupt or can't be read from the eMMC in order to execute. I not read backwards in this tread looking at all your previous posts, to confirm yes or no, that your eMMC has been replaced. But from what you just described about your WiFi and BT, it sounds as though, no, your eMMC has not been replaced. I hope for you that I am mistaken about my read on what's going on with your car, but just putting out there for you from why I have learned. And from my experience on TMC, someone is going to point out to me that I am completely wrong.

And one of the symptoms of a failing eMMC is the code/files for those Services is corrupt or can't be read from the eMMC in order to execute
Oh yeah, no worries, you didn't miss it. I forgot to mention on here that my eMMC was replaced last year under the recall. Strange, but prior to the replacement, both services were functional. And I don't remember how long after they replaced it that those services started failing. I'm starting to wonder if I have a bad replacement eMMC now. Something I need to address. Thank you. I did not know this was dependent on a perfectly working eMMC.

Last edited:
I just checked the Tesla website and checked what it said two years ago. They changed the language.

July 30, 2020:

"Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car."

Feb 9, 2022:

"Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network)."

Thanks to Tesla for telling me only a week ago that I'm losing my connectivity on 2/22 in my 2013 Model S P85+ and need a new modem for all applications requiring the Internet. I immediately schedule an appointment and the earliest they have is 2/18. No big deal...but now with supply issues (surprise, surprise), they need to move the appointment to 3/2. So, assuming that they get the equipment by then (and that's a big assumption), I'm going to be without internet connectivity for over a week. First world problem, I know, but it's incredibly frustrating coming from a Tesla customer since 2013. Yes, if I followed this space I would have known well in advance, but in my opinion, this is certainly something that should have been communicated directly from Tesla to its affected customers with plenty of time to address it...not two weeks before the event. Anyone else similarly situated?

Last edited:
I was notified by Audi 2 years into my 4 year new car warranty that at the end of that year (6 months after notification in 2020) I would loose all 3G connectivity and there was no upgrade path. I had only owned the Audi less than 2 years! I had to buy a new Tesla to get 4G connectivity. Be happy that at least Tesla is offering a reasonably priced upgrade and you don't have to buy a new car. I hope the same applies if I still have my Tesla when 4G gets phased out -- a long time from now.

It can not be news to you that 3G is being phased out worldwide, it’s not like it has been communicated for over a few years now by the telecom providers………

Good thing Tesla reminded you about it.
It actually is news to me. I guess I buy phones frequently enough that it's never an issue. So strike that assumption from your post. To the next statement, yes, good thing Tesla reminded me as it would be incredibly disappointing come 2/22 to get in my car and find out that none of the internet-related applications work. My point if you read the post carefully is that it would have been nice to actually have notification directly from Tesla with enough time to enable the change to be seamless. This is a significant change in the driver experience. Anyone can post whatever they want, but the "you're lucky that" posts add nothing. Perhaps I'm the only one in this situation. Knowing whether others are similarly situated would be interesting to me (and that is the core of my question).

Most "Internet of Things" devices that use a cellular connection were 3G and sold up until about a year ago. My Generac Generator connection status was 3G. It also stopped 2 years ago after my Audi 3G died, without any notification except from Verizon that they were going to stop supporting 3G. I have since upgraded that. Check to see if you have anything else that uses a cell connection. I also had a dog GPS collar that had a 3G cellular connection, but stopped that before it died.

Reactions: Dukecat
Posted on July 14, 2021

I am aware (now) of the notification. Is your point that for all products and services we purchase, we should scour the manufacturer or service provider's website for updates that may or may not be relevant to the products or services we purchase? I received a direct-to-customer communication (which I think was highly appropriate for the situation), but it wasn't until a week ago.

I am aware (now) of the notification. Is your point that for all products and services we purchase, we should scour the manufacturer or service provider's website for updates that may or may not be relevant to the products or services we purchase? I received a direct-to-customer communication (which I think was highly appropriate for the situation), but it wasn't until a week ago.
Tesla apparently encouraged their service centers to reach out to impacted customers. I don't know if they failed to do that for everyone or just some people, but I agree that they could have sent an e-mail when they published the support article in July.

PS: The first time I tried to post this reply, a few minutes ago, I was told the thread no longer exists. The same thing happened with a different thread yesterday. Is this because the admins moved this thread while I was replying to it, or is there an issue on the site?

Reactions: cpaull and Dukecat
Tesla apparently encouraged their service centers to reach out to impacted customers. I don't know if they failed to do that for everyone or just some people, but I agree that they could have sent an e-mail when they published the support article in July.

PS: The first time I tried to post this reply, a few minutes ago, I was told the thread no longer exists. The same thing happened with a different thread yesterday. Is this because the admins moved this thread while I was replying to it, or is there an issue on the site?
That's what I'm curious about -- whether others only received notification within the last week or so (which, again, wouldn't have been an issue provided that they had the supply to install the modems before the 2/22 deadline).

Not sure about the posting issue, but it makes sense to me that it was probably caused by the thread being moved.