Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who in Canada will order the new P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My loaded 2013 (February) P85 has 54000km on it. I was offered only $61000 by Tesla Motors on a trade-in towards a P85D. This was based on my purchase price, not the replacement price, which has increased by $20000 since I bought it. I am curious to see how much used MS's are actually selling for. If anyone has sold one, it would be helpful if they would be willing to post the actual selling price. I may need to hold off on an upgrade unless I can get closer to $100k for mine.

My loaded 2013 (February) P85 has 54000km on it. I was offered only $61000 by Tesla Motors on a trade-in towards a P85D. This was based on my purchase price, not the replacement price, which has increased by $20000 since I bought it. I am curious to see how much used MS's are actually selling for. If anyone has sold one, it would be helpful if they would be willing to post the actual selling price. I may need to hold off on an upgrade unless I can get closer to $100k for mine.
Something wrong with this picture. Our cars should be worth more than in the U.S. Look in the thread below that they have going for their appraisals. They are all over the map but your quote seems very low. Interesting to see what my Sig will be worth.
If you do not mind, Please post your trade in offer from Tesla so we can compare note

I certainly don't want to discourage you - but....

I was looking at used ones for a good long while before I decided to go new. I watched which cars sold, and which simply sat. I don't believe that an almost two year old P85 with 54K is going to go for close to 100K. My best guess is somewhere in the upper 70s.

That said... putting it in autotrader is awfully cheap. Who knows?

Mine is up there. If someone is going to pay the price (or close to) that I am comfortable selling for, then I'll get the D. Otherwise I wont. Autotrader costs nothing, so I figured I might as well. Mine is priced "unrealistically"....but hey, maybe I'll find an unrealistic person who don't want to wait a few months for delivery

Something wrong with this picture. Our cars should be worth more than in the U.S.
Based on what? they're the same cars, they've taken the same wear and tear, and the same new vehicles are available to supersede them, Tesla doesn't mark up the new Model S particularly in relation to the US version (not much more than just the exchange rate difference). There's no reason at all a Canadian car should be worth any more than an American one.

Mine is up there. If someone is going to pay the price (or close to) that I am comfortable selling for, then I'll get the D. Otherwise I wont. Autotrader costs nothing, so I figured I might as well. Mine is priced "unrealistically"....but hey, maybe I'll find an unrealistic person who don't want to wait a few months for delivery

Yep... nothing to lose and who knows? I'm guessing that some of the others up there are looking at it the same way.

Based on what? they're the same cars, they've taken the same wear and tear, and the same new vehicles are available to supersede them, Tesla doesn't mark up the new Model S particularly in relation to the US version (not much more than just the exchange rate difference). There's no reason at all a Canadian car should be worth any more than an American one.

NB: we pay an import duty as the cars do not currently qualify for the free trade route.

NB: we pay an import duty as the cars do not currently qualify for the free trade route.

Yes, and like other taxes, that is not something you can usually make up for when you re-sell.

Not sure how it will shake out for the Model S, but with traditional cars, the delta between "stripped" and "fully loaded" shrinks quite a bit when they are sold used. Odometer mileage seems to be a big factor too (with traditional cars). Since mileage is less of a factor with EVs (except for maybe the battery???) it will be interesting to see if that also holds for used EVs.

Actually, I think there is green1...supply (low) and demand (we who are trading in hope will be high, for a fairly priced vehicle).

Here is something that I think few folks have touched on...remember the feelings we all had about our new Model S's?...that feeling to a large extent will also be present in the "new" layer of Model S buyer who can now afford a nicely loaded Model S in the $65,000 to $85,000 CAD range...trust me, that "coolness factor" will still be present for these "new" owners as there are so few Model S's in Canada...the fact that it is used, will be largely diminished imo...

Last edited:
Here is something that I think few folks have touched on...remember the feelings we all had about our new Model S's?...that feeling to a large extent will also be present in the "new" layer of Model S buyer who can now afford a nicely loaded Model S in the $65,000 to $85,000 CAD range...trust me, that "coolness factor" will still be present for these "new" owners as there are so few Model S's in Canada...the fact that it is used, will be largely diminished imo...

While I think that's true, I'm not clear why it would be different in Canada vs. the US. Are there proportionally fewer Model S cars in Canada than the US?

On the other hand, I do know of a number of people who have gone to the US to buy premium used cars because they are supposedly less expensive there. That would bode well for those wanting the best price for their Canadian used cars.

I would think that the proportional difference would be minor, but still there...however, there are far too many folks looking that this from the "glass half empty" perspective imo.

Remember, the non D Model S is (only marginally) the second "coolest car" out there...it matters not to this new marketplace of eligible consumers (who can afford a used Model S) about the "D" Model because they cannot afford it...if they could have afforded it, they would have already owned a Model S!)...therefore, there will be plenty of drooling, salivating potential Model S "want to own one's" out there waiting for a"properly priced" used Model S...what we are currently seeing in the Canadian marketplace are "improperly priced" Model S's, and it looks like few are biting (at these deals as they really are non-deals).

As we get closer to the delivery of the D's, the market will enter a phase where more and more private sales are offered that are "properly priced" imo...

While I think that's true, I'm not clear why it would be different in Canada vs. the US. Are there proportionally fewer Model S cars in Canada than the US?

On the other hand, I do know of a number of people who have gone to the US to buy premium used cars because they are supposedly less expensive there. That would bode well for those wanting the best price for their Canadian used cars.

Tesla doesn't make more profit on a Canadian car. When you take the exchange rate and the 6% duty into account, the US and Canadian base price are within $2000. There are actually some hardware differences in the cars (especially the more secure keyfob system required in Canada), add a little margin for exchange fluctuations, and it's a wash.

Tesla doesn't make more profit on a Canadian car. When you take the exchange rate and the 6% duty into account, the US and Canadian base price are within $2000. There are actually some hardware differences in the cars (especially the more secure keyfob system required in Canada), add a little margin for exchange fluctuations, and it's a wash.
Which is exactly why there's no reason a used model s should be any more expensive here than in the US (beyond the exchange rate and import duty) but we're seeing that US used tesla prices are significantly lower than in Canada.

Which is exactly why there's no reason a used model s should be any more expensive here than in the US (beyond the exchange rate and import duty) but we're seeing that US used tesla prices are significantly lower than in Canada.

No conspiracy theory required. Used market is strictly supply-and-demand. If people ask too much, no one will buy them and there they will sit. Apparently Canadians either think they can sell way too high and they aren't actually moving... or some people are actually buying way too high.

Despite having my order confirmed a week ago, my Dashboard asked me today to confirm again and the design menu now shows the new seats in all available colours. So I changed from the previous obligatory black to the tan I ordered before. Also after confirmation, the "View Design" button is back.

Addendum: Just noticed that the 19" wheel option is back, so I fired off an email to change to the 19" wheels.

Last edited:
Just for yuks, I looked at the Canadian configuration page. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the P85D and the 85D are:

- A reduction in range from 460 km (2WD) to 440 km (AWD) while the 85D actually increases from 460 to 475 km

- Same top speed at the 85D

- 2 seconds faster to 60 MPH than the 85D (more horsepower)

- including taxes $42,375 more expensive!!!

Holy cow, man. Is trading off 2 seconds for less range actually worth over 42 grand to you guys? Did I miss something on the configuration page or something?

Just for yuks, I looked at the Canadian configuration page. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the P85D and the 85D are:

- A reduction in range from 460 km (2WD) to 440 km (AWD) while the 85D actually increases from 460 to 475 km

- Same top speed at the 85D

- 2 seconds faster to 60 MPH than the 85D (more horsepower)

- including taxes $42,375 more expensive!!!

Holy cow, man. Is trading off 2 seconds for less range actually worth over 42 grand to you guys? Did I miss something on the configuration page or something?

I'm sure you noticed, but if you equip the two cars the same, the difference is around 20k or so. Not cheap for sure - but it's still not like the 85D is an inexpensive vehicle. I also wonder about the range number. The old P85+ had less range than the P85 - because of the 21" wheels. They've now permitted the 19" wheels on the P85D, so I wonder if the range difference will also close somewhat?