Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who in Canada will order the new P85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We broke down and ordered a new P85D simply because my wife, who prior to getting the Model S, had 8 years worth of driving the small Lexus hybrid SUV's (a 400h & a 450h)... the combination of moving from 8 years of AWD + the lack of experience & feel for driving a larger, rear wheel drive vehicle, made her 50 odd km one way commute uncomfortable during some of the bad weather days last winter...obviously, if the option to retro fit our existing Sig existed, we would have exercised that option...we made the decision to upgrade to the "P" version as we want December delivery, not Feb (when winter is 2/3 over...

Usually 2-3 Model S for sale in Autotrader Canada. Today, 1 week after unveiling of D, 14 for sale & counting.

A lot of the prices seem to be more than a bit optimistic. They're asking essentially new prices for prior generation used cars that are carrying the old equipment, and which are not eligible for the government rebates.

I hate to see it, but I think you're going to get a fairly rapid collapse in the prices in the next couple of months. Canada is a market where the 'D' makes a whole lot of sense.

To those with pending orders, Tesla seems to be being very nice to those who want to cancel and reorder, for now. Most likely because they know the maximum recourse they have is to keep your $2,500. It seems if you are re-ordering a new car, most are getting their $ rolled over.

I don't see selling a 6 month old car right now, though, unless you can recoup most of the $ and/or money isn't an issue. I'd get 2-3 years out of it to spread out the depreciation and let used prices settle as the market is sure to be flooded and anyone who wants a non-Autopilot MS now is going to get a great deal if they want it!

I agree that these asking prices are overly optimistic...however, I think there will be a robust market for used Model S's out there as there are plenty of folks who will want the Model S (just as we did)...it was out of reach cost-wise for most, but this new "used" vehicle marketplace brings many new buyers for a properly priced used vehicle...for these folks, the Model S does not carry "the old equipment"...it carries (vastly) new equipment when compared with their current ICE vehicles...most all of the current Model S owners are looking at this new "used" marketplace as the proverbial "glass half empty"...from the guy who can now afford the "used" Model S, the glass is half full...

A lot of the prices seem to be more than a bit optimistic. They're asking essentially new prices for prior generation used cars that are carrying the old equipment, and which are not eligible for the government rebates.

I hate to see it, but I think you're going to get a fairly rapid collapse in the prices in the next couple of months. Canada is a market where the 'D' makes a whole lot of sense.

What's really painful right now is seeing the asking prices in the USA plummeting while the asking prices in Canada remain artificially high because Tesla is actively blocking our ability to import used Model S from the US.
Well I for one will be glad if the resale prices stay high here. It means I will pay a smaller difference when I trade my Sig in for my P85D.

I thought about reselling my current S through Tesla, and they quoted me $80k for a $125k vehicle :(
Looks like i'm skipping this upgrade.

Also, since i posted in the winter wheel post, and this post has people buying new Ds, if there's anyone who can help pick up a set of winter tires, please PM me

Any way you slice it, lower-priced used Teslas bring a whole new type of buyer into the marketplace. The value proposition is huge when you think of what buying a 3-5 year old Tesla means. The car just doesn't age like a regular ICE, so buying a used Tesla is like getting access to a much 'newer' car. I have many friends that just could never justify (usually to their spouse) spending $100 K on a car, but a $50 K used Tesla with a rock solid battery is something they might be able to make the case for. As an example, my brother-in-law just bought his first hybrid about 2 years ago because he's so damn thrifty that he had to wait like 8-10 years, or whatever it has been, for the larger hybrid fleet to age enough to get the price down to 'regular joe' pricing. I realize 50 K is not regular joe, but I think there is a real market for it. By selling our cars, we are providing options for this new market and you know they will love the car just like new. Think of it as a 'Tesla Pay It Forward' kinda thing.