Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who will qualify for a free APP 3.0 HW update?

Who will qualify for a free APP 3.0 HW update?

• People who purchased FSD

Votes: 155 74.9%
  • People who purchased EAP

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Everyone

Votes: 17 8.2%
  • No one (paid upgrade for everyone or not offered on older cars)

Votes: 9 4.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The x10 processing power of HW3 is required for FSD to handle complicated road conditions and make split-second adjustments. For EAP and everyone else, it's mostly about collecting data and the current HW2.5 seems to do a sufficient job.

No one really knows who will get it for free, who will pay for it, and how much. I can imagine that HW3 might make EAP more reliable / safe, and in that case, Tesla might want it to be in all cars with EAP as well. Although if I was to guess, it will probably be free only for FSD customers.

My theory, based on exactly as much info as any other regular person (plus a little semi-relevant business experience):

Cars with FSD already purchased will get upgraded at no additional cost.
Cars without FSD already purchased may purchase FSD (including hardware if needed) at the price it said on their configurator at the time.
Post announcement, FSD pricing will go up for new purchasers.

I am wondering if v9 will motivate me to check into paying what was originally said to be $4K post delivery since I would see some value AND feel like I would be positioned to get the hardware upgrade going forward. I gambled that Tesla wasn't going to have any FSD functionality for years. .. Guess I will learn more in about a month.

There is no option to vote for:
If you purchased or you will purchase FSD then you get the upgrade for free.

I'm under the idea/impression that purchasing FSD (either now or later) requires the hardware upgrade to function period. The additional cost to upgrade later covered those who have a wait and see attitude. Tesla has a history of rewarding followers who have faith in their promises even though they don't always deliver but they try to make it right in some way.

The cost of pre-paying for the FSD was based on that idea and they could've profited in terms of saving on debt/interest, while the actual cost of of the product+profit is more realistic in the later costs ($5k for FSD).

Don't they run their cars in shadow mode regardless of whether autopilot or FSD was purchased? Doesn't it make sense for them to upgrade all cars (albeit prioritize FSD/EAP purchasers) so they can continue to teach the fleet and stay ahead of their competitors?

How can you switch on FSD if the car isn’t capable...?

You can do it now as an option, even on a 2 year old model S/X... that's the difference between stating "you" vs Tesla and turning it on. When you choose to "switch on FSD" means when you pay for it. When Tesla "switches on FSD" means when the feature is (partially/fully) available.

Right now, all you can do is pay for it and get nothing at all as far as features. (There's even a class-action lawsuit about it) When they start enabling features for it, and have their hardware upgrades available, if you paid (or do at that time pay) for it, you would get the hardware upgrade.

Last edited: