TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who will qualify for a free APP 3.0 HW update?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TurnFast, Aug 6, 2018.

?

Who will qualify for a free APP 3.0 HW update?

1. People who purchased FSD

153 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. People who purchased EAP

25 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Everyone

17 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. No one (paid upgrade for everyone or not offered on older cars)

9 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. TurnFast

TurnFast Member

Assuming the current 2.5 hardware in today's cars is not really capable of full self driving (otherwise why would they be making a new AP chip?) if they offer an upgrade program, who do you think will qualify for a free HW update?

• Like x 1
  2. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Seeing that the current hardware is sufficient for the advertised features of EAP, I suspect only people who purchased FSD would require the hardware.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. strava

strava Member

The x10 processing power of HW3 is required for FSD to handle complicated road conditions and make split-second adjustments. For EAP and everyone else, it's mostly about collecting data and the current HW2.5 seems to do a sufficient job.

4. ronm2948

ronm2948 Member

No one really knows who will get it for free, who will pay for it, and how much. I can imagine that HW3 might make EAP more reliable / safe, and in that case, Tesla might want it to be in all cars with EAP as well. Although if I was to guess, it will probably be free only for FSD customers.

5. Nuclear Fusion

Everyone with AP2.0 hardware will get it.
    Part of the contract purchase deal was that they can pay to switch on FSD

• Disagree x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

IF they pay to switch on/add FSD, then they may get the HW upgrade for free. But I highly doubt they will upgrade it at all otherwise.

• Like x 5
  7. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

^ this.

Honestly, if you didn't pay for FSD, why would you want better FSD hardware?

• Like x 5
  8. sperkin

sperkin Member

It's already added in post purchase. $2k more for FSD and $1k more for EAP. No one gets it for free unless you already paid FSD. Also, FSD may take awhile for approval by Government.

9. lairdb

lairdb Member

My theory, based on exactly as much info as any other regular person (plus a little semi-relevant business experience):

Cars with FSD already purchased will get upgraded at no additional cost.
    Cars without FSD already purchased may purchase FSD (including hardware if needed) at the price it said on their configurator at the time.
    Post announcement, FSD pricing will go up for new purchasers.

• Like x 2
  10. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I am wondering if v9 will motivate me to check into paying what was originally said to be $4K post delivery since I would see some value AND feel like I would be positioned to get the hardware upgrade going forward. I gambled that Tesla wasn't going to have any FSD functionality for years. .. Guess I will learn more in about a month.

11. gilscales

gilscales Member

Could definitely be the reason post FSD price was raised $1,000, to cover the cost of hardware change if mandatory for adding FSD.

• Like x 1
  12. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

It could also be (but I think less likely) that they will drop support for FSD on 2.5 hardware for non FSD purchases unless you first upgrade your hardware at your own cost.

13. DanCar

DanCar Member

There is no option to vote for:
    If you purchased or you will purchase FSD then you get the upgrade for free.

14. Jedi2155

I'm under the idea/impression that purchasing FSD (either now or later) requires the hardware upgrade to function period. The additional cost to upgrade later covered those who have a wait and see attitude. Tesla has a history of rewarding followers who have faith in their promises even though they don't always deliver but they try to make it right in some way.

The cost of pre-paying for the FSD was based on that idea and they could've profited in terms of saving on debt/interest, while the actual cost of of the product+profit is more realistic in the later costs ($5k for FSD).

• Like x 2
  15. Dante

Dante Member

Don't they run their cars in shadow mode regardless of whether autopilot or FSD was purchased? Doesn't it make sense for them to upgrade all cars (albeit prioritize FSD/EAP purchasers) so they can continue to teach the fleet and stay ahead of their competitors?

16. tambam

tambam Member

From Model 3 | Tesla:
    If that hardware needs to be upgraded to be "capable of providing … full self-driving" then that's going to have to be on Tesla IMHO.

• Like x 1
  17. Nuclear Fusion

How can you switch on FSD if the car isn’t capable...?

18. Jedi2155

When you pay for it..... they'll install the hardware and switch it on.

• Like x 1
  19. richrootes

richrootes Member

You missed another option:

‘I don’t care let’s wait and see what happens’

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. wbhokie

wbhokie Member

#20 wbhokie, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    You can do it now as an option, even on a 2 year old model S/X... that's the difference between stating "you" vs Tesla and turning it on. When you choose to "switch on FSD" means when you pay for it. When Tesla "switches on FSD" means when the feature is (partially/fully) available.

Right now, all you can do is pay for it and get nothing at all as far as features. (There's even a class-action lawsuit about it) When they start enabling features for it, and have their hardware upgrades available, if you paid (or do at that time pay) for it, you would get the hardware upgrade.