Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who would prefer Waze Navigation?

Who would prefer Waze navigation instead of Google maps?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What about all those who no longer have premium connectivity. They are more likely to have a music streaming service that works through android auto. That's just one single function too. As we have established mapping is better, and offer more variety. On the phone apps. Plus there is the convenience of messaging. Not just SMS but WhatsApp/telegram/wechat(possibly) I don't think it'd take a massive development. The software most already exist, as pretty much every other car manufacturer offers it now. It'd just be a case of installing it on current infotainment. It seems strange to me that people praise Tesla for their "technology" yet some simple technologies available to all other manufacturers get ignored by Tesla.

I suspect your first sentence is, ironically, one of the major reasons that Tesla will not want to go down the AA/CP route, as it would reduce the subscriber base for the premium connectivity, which must be a pretty decent profit generator for Tesla.

Reactions: Neilio
Of course! But that's development and management resources that will not be spent elsewhere.

I replied as this thread represents a range of views, including a robust third who agree with me. The stuff that @Neilio and @Marc Roberts replied with for instance, are either already present in all or part, or irrelevant to me. For me, what we have is already better than any other car's system, so I would far rather they spend limited resource on making AP/TACC work perfectly, and synching google map updates properly. I want them to keep pushing the envelope and innovating, rather than 'making a faster horse'.

AA & ACP are basically a control layer to allow the vehicle to pass screen touches to the device and display video/play audio from the device. All vehicles that support them still work since having the support introduced years ago without requirement for update, so it's more or less a one-off development cost to get it working and then it can be pretty much left alone.

I'm all for them innovating, but so far their innovation consists of trying to find new ways to do things that already have perfectly good solutions.

Yes, they shouldn't waste limited development resources on stuff that isn't needed. How many years have they been trying to use AI to make the automatic windscreen wipers work instead of using an industry standard £30 sensor? ;)

AA & ACP are basically a control layer to allow the vehicle to pass screen touches to the device and display video/play audio from the device. All vehicles that support them still work since having the support introduced years ago without requirement for update, so it's more or less a one-off development cost to get it working and then it can be pretty much left alone.

I'm all for them innovating, but so far their innovation consists of trying to find new ways to do things that already have perfectly good solutions.

Yes, they shouldn't waste limited development resources on stuff that isn't needed. How many years have they been trying to use AI to make the automatic windscreen wipers work instead of using an industry standard £30 sensor? ;)
Because, if they can make their AI work like they want it to, it will blow past the limitations of that £30 sensor?

To be honest, I will always support the innovators. We need people that don't just want a slightly faster £30 sensor, otherwise we'd still be lighting fires in caves (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor!).

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I assume that it's a business decision then, and they have decided to accept that 2/3rd of their customers will be annoyed for payoffs elsewhere. I only grudgingly pay for premium connectivity because the system is so much better than any other car I've driven - everyone has their perceived value.

Reactions: Chickenlips
Because, if they can make their AI work like they want it to, it will blow past the limitations of that £30 sensor?

To be honest, I will always support the innovators. We need people that don't just want a slightly faster £30 sensor, otherwise we'd still be lighting fires in caves (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor!).

Anyway, thanks for the explanation. I assume that it's a business decision then, and they have decided to accept that 2/3rd of their customers will be annoyed for payoffs elsewhere. I only grudgingly pay for premium connectivity because the system is so much better than any other car I've driven - everyone has their perceived value.
There are no limitations to a £30 sensor though. The simply fact is they work: Rain isn't going to change, glass is unlikely to so auto wipers need zero resolution. Other companies use a product that works. Rather than spending expensive development time developing a solution that doesn't

Reactions: browellm and Somex
There are no limitations to a £30 sensor though. The simply fact is they work: Rain isn't going to change, glass is unlikely to so auto wipers need zero resolution. Other companies use a product that works. Rather than spending expensive development time developing a solution that doesn't

Yeah, but the resulting solution will be waaay better. Probably.

Be honest, do you really just want a faster horse when you can have a donkey with a jet pack?:)

Yeah, but the resulting solution will be waaay better. Probably.

Be honest, do you really just want a faster horse when you can have a donkey with a jet pack?:)
I want to be able to see where I'm going when it rains. And auto wipers in other cars just work. When you have a car you want things to work. There can't possibly be a solution that is demonstrably better than a £30 sensor because the sensor simply works. All a rain sensor needs to do is detect rain. Other cars can do that, ours can't

Never worked right on my previous car, a 2012 BMW X1. The 'auto' wasn't auto at all in that you had to turn it on each time it was raining. It then tried to find the right speed but gave you a dial to increase or decrease the sensitivity. No doubt there was a different extra pack that my car didn't have that included Fully Auto Wipers.

To be Apple CarPlay certified you also need to pay Apple and give them full development access to your media unit to 'test', given they have an autonomous car division that's not very appealing I imagine. I'm also not sure but think that both CarPlay an Android Auto specify that they must be full-screen.

Reactions: KennethS
Never worked right on my previous car, a 2012 BMW X1. The 'auto' wasn't auto at all in that you had to turn it on each time it was raining. It then tried to find the right speed but gave you a dial to increase or decrease the sensitivity. No doubt there was a different extra pack that my car didn't have that included Fully Auto Wipers.

To be Apple CarPlay certified you also need to pay Apple and give them full development access to your media unit to 'test', given they have an autonomous car division that's not very appealing I imagine. I'm also not sure but think that both CarPlay an Android Auto specify that they must be full-screen.

on my last couple of BMWs they were always on if you left them on from before. And I like the sensitivity dial - I don’t see that as the sensor not working properly, more an understanding that individuals may have different preferences in how soon they’d like it to wipe

I'm also not sure but think that both CarPlay an Android Auto specify that they must be full-screen.

Nah, I used to think that, but there are a few vehicles where they only use part of the screen - BMW, Kia, Volvo for example; mostly vehicles with large screens that these systems aren't really designed for I think.

Our iD4 retains some car controls down the side of the main screen when ACP is activated, but the screen isn't that large so it wouldn't make sense to have it take up much less space.

N.B. I have not performed exhaustive research on this, my information is based on comments in forums and against news articles. I expect that this generalisation does not apply to all models in all markets; I am taking owners at their word concerning the matter.

Last edited:

I had an EQV on demo and CarPlay on that lost half the screen to massive black borders on either side!

Nah, I used to think that, but there are a few vehicles where they only use part of the screen - BMW, Kia, Volvo for example; mostly vehicles with large screens that these systems aren't really designed for I think.

Our iD4 retains some car controls down the side of the main screen when ACP is activated, but the screen isn't that large so it wouldn't make sense to have it take up much less space.

N.B. I have not performed exhaustive research on this, my information is based on comments in forums and against news articles. I expect that this generalisation does not apply to all models in all markets; I am taking owners at their word concerning the matter.
Its definitely true for Volvo. I had an XC40 hire car and android auto didn't take up the whole of the screen