Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whoa! Come on tesla!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if it's changed, but when I got my 3 last year the RFID was required to be used to pair a phone for the purposes of using the BT-based lock related controls, just wasn't needed for pairing as a BT media device. I'm not sure how much of the functions of the app are using the BT-based stuff that requires RFID to pair vs just via the API using your credentials though.

Wrong. You WILL be fooled into entering your "good password"
into spoofed login screens, he just showed you how. All it takes is
a laptop and some know-how. The more dependent we are on
wireless technologies, the more insanely insecure we are. If we
went back to hardwired ethernet, in this case say with ports at
the supercharger, it would be much more secure. But then
people would up the ante by tapping the wiring and we're
almost back to square 1. The inescapable flaw is the use of
public or shared networking. The very thing that makes the
digital world go around.

Many years ago, banks and critical infrastructure would only
use dedicated point to point communications. Private networks
and little synchronized devices that generated random passwords
every few seconds. I worked in that environment, it was secure,
and it was very inconvenient. Then the greater convenience of
the public won out, and we let our guard down, way too much.

Insurance covers a lot of losses every day, that's how we deal
with it at the moment. Unauthorized credit card charges, lost
cars, hacked burglar alarms, you name it. Every day.

In Russia, and countries near Russia, they know the danger.
You cannot make a banking transaction without sending back
a one time code that the bank texts to your phone. Password
entry screens never request a full password, only a few characters
picked at random from your long password, so if the line is
monitored, they only get a portion of your password. That's for
openers. The security steps are a nuisance, but it helps in
a world where a lot of people are smart and hungry.

Tesla will introduce some additional security, it will be less
convenient, and it will reduce the chances of losing your car,
to some degree, for a while.

We are trusting people. We have never weighed the complete
vulnerability of a society that puts valuable or important things
under control of shared networks. The convenience is great,
the potential damages are beyond our imagination. Some day
the Big Lesson will be stunning.

But people seem more invested in denial, look at the preview in the 2016 election.
Dude chill. It's not the end of the F'ing world. hell you should sell me your car right now before it gets stolen. Or better yet, I'll just drive by and pick it up myself since its so easy.

I’m not watching a Ben sullens video.
LOL.....ahhhh ok, then continue to make off the hip comments that don't really apply because you are operating with half the info and therefore talking out your a$$. Great job!! Well done you!

Edit....don't know why you disagree Tom Edison, you made a comment without watching the darn video that directly addressed your comment.......The real Thomas Edison would have performed the necessary research......of course Tesla and Edison were bitter rivals....hhhhhmmmmm

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Thomas Edison
Oh wow, I assumed actual access to the car would require the initial pairing with one of the car cards. If the only real security are owners being savvy with password management, there are going to be a lot of easy targets.

No. All the access within the app that works when you are away from the car... works with the password.

Just don't share your password. Don't leave it in the car. Do not use the same password for multiple sites. Do not access random WiFi access points to "save phone data". Perhaps the "free charging" set is more likely to connect to random WiFi?

Yes, I'm all for 2FA. But it doesn't solve this problem. Makes it better, but doesn't solve.

More importantly, note the most cars can be towed in 45 seconds. In the big scheme of things, this isn't the end of the world.

Are 3rd party apps completely safe?
They require my Tesla account info.

You are giving someone the ability to track down, unlock, and start your car.

Safe? No

Reasonable risk? That's up to you. I use one of them. Heck, having a 3rd party app trailing your car might help if it gets stolen.

Ever use a 3rd party browser? May not be safe. Use a WiFi access point at the airport, hotel, etc? May not be safe. All risk choices.

Edit: One of my favorite WiFi names I see at a place I frequent "FBI Surveillance Van #22"

I watched the video, and as disclaimer I have to admit I watched other video from the same person in the past and I found them very interesting.

This one looks to me a long commercial for a VPN.
At the beginning of the video he says the video is sponsored by a VPN.
During the video he talks about the dangers of having the man in the middle, protect data, anybody can steal your car etc...
At the end he makes a commercial for a VPN.

So basically it's a long commercial video despised as a youtube video on the safety of the Tesla APP and model 3.

Disappointed

I look at this kind of issue differently. I just need to be more secure than most people, which is a wonderfully low bar.

1. I use a password manager, so every service has a different password - as long as the service allows (but some banks are notoriously crappy about having things like 12 character max limits).

2. Whenever possible, I use OTP. It’s a 2FA solution but much better than SMS texts for receiving a code. SMS is relatively easily to spoof and assign to a different device. Better than nothing, but probably doesn’t qualify as “secure”.

3. If I use any token-based services (TeslaFi, CarmIQ) then I only do it if a) I provide the token, not having the service login on my behalf to obtain the token and b) I can expire the token.

Every piece of software security can be hacked or has exploits to be leveraged. Just don’t be the easiest target.

Last edited: