Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's at fault here? (Accident video inside)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, didn't notice that. Straight up criminal and caused an accident. Pretty much got away with it too. Now that I think about, that explains why he or she freaked out and slammed on their brakes. Although I doubt they were trying cause an accident as a distraction to get away, it worked out that way.

Last edited:
I agree...however I made my statement based on the fact that I saw the license plate on the car.....which is Illinois - like mine.
Yes quite.....
I'm talking about the LAW.
Not fair! Armchair lawyer who uses CAPS? How can anyone argue now?

If it's the LAW then please cite the statute. Because most civil liability is established under common law and often isn't encapsulated in any statutes. Civil tort liability is definitely one of those.

If you want to practice law, even on forums, you really should go to law school. And you probably should tone it down. We're just random people with a common interest in Tesla. No need to go over the top about stuff.

If it's the LAW then please cite the statute. Because most civil liability is established under common law and often isn't encapsulated in any statutes. Civil tort liability is definitely one of those.

If you want to practice law, even on forums, you really should go to law school. And you probably should tone it down. We're just random people with a common interest in Tesla. No need to go over the top about stuff.
Here you go:
Illinois Statutes Chapter 625. Vehicles § 5/11-710 | FindLaw

Yep, and there is no language where it establishes absolute liability. The issue isn’t that there’s no legal obligation to leave sufficient space. That’s accepted and a given. The point is that it does automatically establish full liability in the event of a collision. All facts will always be considered. If someone doesn’t accept that, fine.

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner

Whoa....calm down.

I'm stating one point. Not over the top at all.

The statute was asked for - posted - and still argued with ….. lol.

One time, I rear ended a car on the highway and the other car was given the ticket and their insurance paid out a total loss on the beater car that I was driving. The extenuating circumstance was that they cut me off in the inside/passing lane to do an illegal U-turn at one of the turnaround spots for emergency vehicles. They were not even complete with their lane change in front of me when the collision happened.

While in almost every case, the driver of the rear vehicle is at fault, This is one case that I have personal knowledge of where the driver that was rear-ended was given the ticket and the accident was charged to their insurance.