Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's at fault here? (Accident video inside)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lighten up.

But also, if you ever drive around the Southwest, its quite common for state troopers to park in those gaps for "emergency vehicles" to perform speed trapping.
Yeah, sorry. Former Police Officer here so I tend to get annoyed when people jump to blaming police when most of them have no idea what the job entails and the lack of respect from some (although I don't want it to turn into that discussion).

Yep, they do it in every state I've been to as well.

You rear end someone, you’re at fault, period. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

There could be ANY situation (including an idiotic decision by the driver ahead of you) that may result into someone having to suddenly brake hard or stop on a highway. It could be an animal, a person, or a sudden obstacle, etc. The rear driver must be prepared and alert all times to at least avoid a collision.

Driving too close and that too in a passing lane caught up to the BMW. If you could brake, BMW could, too. Most people drive way too fast, tail gate, and oblivious to the surrounding traffic.

Man that cop was totally going for it and wanted to cut in, only to decide at the last sec to hold off. No need to gun it in that small space in the middle if he wasn't thinking it. It was lose/lose for the Honda.

So who caused the accident? The Cop
Who's at fault? The White BMW

Reactions: focher
Man that cop was totally going for it and wanted to cut in, only to decide at the last sec to hold off. No need to gun it in that small space in the middle if he wasn't thinking it. It was lose/lose for the Honda.

So who caused the accident? The Cop
Who's at fault? The White BMW
At the risk of being told to Lighten Up again, you have got to be kidding me. We must have very different opinions of 'going for it and wanted to cut in'. He was quite a ways from the divider line and was making no such move.

• Funny
Reactions: robski and Pkmmte
No matter what......if you hit someone in their rear......you are guilty.

Sure maybe a person shouldn't stop in the middle of the road....but if you hit them....then you are at fault.

That's the law.

So...…… The fault will be at whoever hit someone in the rear.
Not quite. First, no one should use the word "guilty" unless it involves a crime. The term "liable" is the appropriate word. Second, liability isn't usually binary and can be apportioned among different parties. Absolutely, fault can be placed in a single party but quite often it's not so clear.

Let me give you an example. If you pull over to the right side of a freeway, then dart perpendicular across multiple lanes of traffic "Bowfinger style" yet every car manages to stop or avoid you, but some of the cars behind them hit the successfully stopped cars (or you), then you will be held liable - probably largely due to the wrecklessness of your behavior and wanton disregard for everyone else.

So it's not always black and white. There are myriad factual scenarios where liability is not absolute.

Honda driver is a complete moron!!!! Ruined a very nice M5 in the process. I know if that was my M5 or M3 (the BMW kind) I would be LIVID. Why do people do stupid *sugar* like make a full stop on the fwy!?!?!?! Just because their brain freezes and they can't process what to do so they instinctively make a full stop?

The Honda driver is an idiot, not sure what was going on with the cop but stopping like that to let a them in is unnecessary. The white BMW was clearly following WAY to close and NOT driving defensively. Due to their follow distance they were unable to avoid a collision which set off the chain reaction. I get the folks saying it was the Honda’s fault or the cops but ultimately if that white BMW wasn’t following so close and likely speeding this was avoidable.

Last edited:
Reactions: whatthe2
At the risk of being told to Lighten Up again, you have got to be kidding me. We must have very different opinions of 'going for it and wanted to cut in'. He was quite a ways from the divider line and was making no such move.

Go for it - let it out. I have middle child syndrome so you won't offend me. But it's just a forum disagreement :) Were you losing sleep on debating whether the dress was blue/black or white/gold? :D Take care.

• Funny
Reactions: focher
You rear end someone, you’re at fault, period. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

There could be ANY situation (including an idiotic decision by the driver ahead of you) that may result into someone having to suddenly brake hard or stop on a highway. It could be an animal, a person, or a sudden obstacle, etc. The rear driver must be prepared and alert all times to at least avoid a collision.

Driving too close and that too in a passing lane caught up to the BMW. If you could brake, BMW could, too. Most people drive way too fast, tail gate, and oblivious to the surrounding traffic.

This right here describes the very reason why rear ending is almost always the driver's fault.

In practice this means that all drivers on the freeway need to keep the 2 second distance from other cars, and most people don't do this. We can't ask for others to not brake "stupidly", or cause a situation where you slow down unnecessarily. We're all supposed to brake if we detect danger when encountering an unknown situation. Within a second we don't have time for any judgement but to brake as the default safe thing to do.

Not quite. First, no one should use the word "guilty" unless it involves a crime. The term "liable" is the appropriate word. Second, liability isn't usually binary and can be apportioned among different parties. Absolutely, fault can be placed in a single party but quite often it's not so clear.

Let me give you an example. If you pull over to the right side of a freeway, then dart perpendicular across multiple lanes of traffic "Bowfinger style" yet every car manages to stop or avoid you, but some of the cars behind them hit the successfully stopped cars (or you), then you will be held liable - probably largely due to the wrecklessness of your behavior and wanton disregard for everyone else.

So it's not always black and white. There are myriad factual scenarios where liability is not absolute.

Yes quite.....

I'm talking about the LAW.

Name a scenario or case where when you hit someone its not your fault or guilty. You may not like it or think that its fair, but its the LAW.

I'm so tired of people majoring on minors and arcane scenarios.

Name a scenario or case where when you hit someone its not your fault or guilty. You may not like it or think that its fair, but its the LAW

I had one that happened to me. Stopped behind a car at a light and the car behind me rear ended me and pushed me into the car in front. In Texas I would have had some liability for being pushed into the car in front since they had an absolute rule about rear endings always being the car behind’s fault and would often spread out the fault in multi car accidents like that to everyone but the front car. Here in CA where it happened, though, I was not at fault for hitting the car in front of me. Was glad the state law/rule/whatever was different here as my insurance didn’t go up where it would have in TX.

Last edited: