Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sure hope Tesla doesn't plan to go stalk-less in future Model 3 and Y cars to save a few extra pennies per car, even if they keep a round wheel. If anyone hears of them doing that, let me know right away so I can sell my stock before it tanks.

lTalking about airbag prices, the tech said in his system, the wheel is shown as $700 and the airbag is shown as an additional $700, so Tesla is giving us 1/2 off with the swap. I find it surprising that an airbag from Tesla would only cost $700.
Since they aren’t letting anyone keep the yoke airbag it’s like a wash. You don’t pay the extra $700 for a round wheel airbag but they take your $700 yoke airbag.

First of all, I'm totes jelly.

But secondly, if you look at the photo of the airbag, there's clearly a differentiation between yoke and round airbags -- your new one is labeled "MSX P2 - Round Driver" -- meaning, I suppose, "Model S/X, Phase 2 - round wheel, driver airbag" ... I'm guessing on the P2 part but there's definitely something different about this thing than the yoke airbag, otherwise they'd just reuse it.

As for reloading software - that's one of the coolest things they've added to Service Mode in a long time. Makes it much easier & quicker when a new part is installed, so it can push the latest firmware to that device without having to re-download the entire package from the Mothership. Same process those crazy people doing homemade CCS charging retrofits are using to reprogram the charge port controller.

P2 is the code for the refersh S/X.

• Informative
Reactions: dmurphy
- Having my hands finally at 10 and 2 caused me to relapse back to grabbing for a turn stalk. It is awkward for me right now to move my hand back down for the turn signals from that position compared to the yoke that pretty much forced you to keep your thumbs close the controls. That will take the longest to get used to.
This is exactly what I did and still seem to do most of the time. But I am getting used to the buttons. I used to have the small silicon sticker for the buttons on the yoke, but now with the steering I feel my muscle memory is hitting the buttons almost perfectly for the indicators.
The tech arrived in an early MS Refresh (that holds the world record for the worst panel gaps I have seen so far on a Tesla), and he said he immediately liked the round wheel more and wished they would upgrade his service car, but expects that won't happen for a long time if ever.
The tech who came to do my steering also said he hates the yoke.

Since they aren’t letting anyone keep the yoke airbag it’s like a wash. You don’t pay the extra $700 for a round wheel airbag but they take your $700 yoke airbag.

That makes sense. But I really wonder if they are putting potentially up to 3 year old used airbags into new cars. If not, they will never use up all that yoke airbag inventory so they didn't really get that $700 value back.

That makes sense. But I really wonder if they are putting potentially up to 3 year old used airbags into new cars. If not, they will never use up all that yoke airbag inventory so they didn't really get that $700 value back.
My guess is they will destroy the yoke airbags turned in. They won’t reuse them. But since they aren’t giving them to us they aren’t charging us for the new ones. That’s fair.

My guess is they will destroy the yoke airbags turned in. They won’t reuse them. But since they aren’t giving them to us they aren’t charging us for the new ones. That’s fair.

That's more than fair in my opinion. They could easily, and fairly, charge us for a new airbag since we are getting a new airbag.

Otherwise, why can't we give them back the yoke and get the wheel for free instead of $700?

Reactions: Vettepartz
After having the car for 6 hours they just left me a message that they “don’t have the parts in stock” and are removing the steering wheel install from the service order. My first taste of Tesla service has been a bitter one. Will need to decide if I just cancel the order at this point and buy an aftermarket wheel. Ordered the wheel the night it became available and they cancelled my first appoint for the same stated reason. A month later and I’m no closer.

• Informative
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
After having the car for 6 hours they just left me a message that they “don’t have the parts in stock” and are removing the steering wheel install from the service order. My first taste of Tesla service has been a bitter one. Will need to decide if I just cancel the order at this point and buy an aftermarket wheel. Ordered the wheel the night it became available and they cancelled my first appoint for the same stated reason. A month later and I’m no closer.
Problem is you still end up with the wrong airbag deployment design if you use a yoke airbag on an aftermarket round wheel.

I bought the round wheel just to get the airbag for my after market round wheel.

Keep the order. Who knows, the yoke may grow on you...

Pictures of my wheel from lots of angles.
2023-04-03 13.28.18.jpg
2023-04-03 13.28.14.jpg
2023-04-03 13.28.06.jpg
2023-04-03 13.18.50.jpg
2023-04-03 13.18.40-1.jpg
2023-04-03 13.10.40.jpg
2023-04-03 13.10.23.jpg
2023-04-03 13.10.13.jpg
2023-04-03 13.09.24-1.jpg
2023-04-03 13.09.11.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Did they not hook up Toolbox 3 and program your glyphs to the steering wheel ? It looks like they are still showing the yoke.

He did hookup the Toolbox, but he didn't show me what he did. It forced a reload of the current version of my firmware also.

The yoke icons are still on my dash and center displays. I have heard that can take time to change, but I wouldn't be surprised if he missed a step to change the icons. Not too bothered by that though.

• Informative
He did hookup the Toolbox, but he didn't show me what he did. It forced a reload of the current version of my firmware also.

The yoke icons are still on my dash and center displays. I have heard that can take time to change, but I wouldn't be surprised if he missed a step to change the icons. Not too bothered by that though.
There is a setting ( PROC_GTW_X_STEERING-WHEEL-YOKE-SWAP ) they need to toggle using Toolbox 3 to change the equipment installed to the wheel. This will give you the correct glyphs as well as show steering wheel on the installed options page.

Attachments

• IMG_2658.jpeg
    IMG_2658.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Informative
There is a setting ( PROC_GTW_X_STEERING-WHEEL-YOKE-SWAP ) they need to toggle using Toolbox 3 to change the equipment installed to the wheel. This will give you the correct glyphs as well as show steering wheel on the installed options page.

Since it was his first wheel change, he probably didn't do it. I am sure I will be in the SC for something else soon (sigh), so I will have them do it next time. By then, it won't be such a mystery to the techs.