Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who's getting the normal steering wheel?

Getting normal steering wheel?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the yoke for 10 months. I wished the airbag was a horn but of course it wasn't. I recall pushing on it and it sort of moved and wondered if someday a s/w update might make it a horn.

Now that I have the wheel and new airbag, is it my imagination the new airbag has more distinctive travel in/out when you push on the four sides of it? Hoping maybe its a precursor to s/w update for a horn? Your thoughts on yoke vs new wheel airbag in/out travel on sides and top/bottom appreciated.
No horn ring is present. So if Tesla does eventually bring this Function to fruition at least one piece of add on hardware will be required.

Yeah I posted that in the other thread, too bad there’s so much preamble.. the review itself doesn’t start until 16 minutes into the video, and even then it leaves a lot to be desired. Par for the course with out of spec, I guess.

If you watch his dad’s channel, you’ll see where he got the ability to literally never stop talking.

I seriously doubt it's related, but worth posting to see if this happened to anyone else after the reconfig for the round wheel. I just had the 2023.6.11 install fail on my MS. It's the first time on any of our Tesla's that we've seen this message.

2023-04-05 00.29.45.jpg

Just had my wheel installed. They pushed out 2023.2.12 while here. That update went ok. It then asked if I wanted to update to 2023.6.8 and that update is stuck at 60% for an hour so far. It hasn't timed out yet and hasn't been completed. I'll update either way.

I wish I had known they were going to install any updates as I was staying on the last version that supported radar in my car. I was avoiding pure TeslaVision at all costs. Hope it doesn't introduce a lot of phantom braking as my Y had.

Have to say no issues with obscuring the dash with how I normally use the wheel.

Just an update to earlier mention of updating to 2023.6.8. It took almost 90 minutes but it did finally update successfully. I was beginning to worry a bit. It has never taken more than 55 minutes before. It stuck on 60% for almost 30 minutes than started finishing from 70% on like normal.

IMG_9484.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I seriously doubt it's related, but worth posting to see if this happened to anyone else after the reconfig for the round wheel. I just had the 2023.6.11 install fail on my MS. It's the first time on any of our Tesla's that we've seen this message.

View attachment 925373
Maybe it is related. Same issue on my MX immediately after the steering wheel was installed. I can't get FSD best V11 2022.45.13 now. I sent a message to service, TBD

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Maybe it is related. Same issue on my MX immediately after the steering wheel was installed. I can't get FSD best V11 2022.45.13 now. I sent a message to service, TBD

I read on a forum somewhere that forcing a reload of the software from the Service menu can help, but I don't have anything wanting me to rush from .8 to .11 build, so I will probably just wait and see how it goes.

I read on a forum somewhere that forcing a reload of the software from the Service menu can help, but I don't have anything wanting me to rush from .8 to .11 build, so I will probably just wait and see how it goes.
Service menu doesn't force a download. It just does a reinstall of the current s/w. Tried it. So the s/w that was there before the yoke/wheel swap, that installed properly, cannot reinstall successfully. I suspect the settings in Toolbox 3 to change screen messages from yoke to wheel are newer than the s/w that is older.

Still waiting to hear from Tesla.

Just got the .11 install request again and it completed just fine this time. The only thing I did last night after the failure was a scroll wheel reboot.

Would love to know what exactly they tweak in these releases, like auto wipers, noise cancellation, etc. Does anyone know if that detail is available?

IMG_1066.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: golferguy
Just wanted to add something that might later prove important/useful. The tech who did the install sent me a note and said he had to come back and retrieve the serial # off the steering wheel. While he was here he pushed another update and it is now on 2023.6.11.

I find it odd that they are tracking the serial #. They did leave the old yoke when asked but of course, took the airbag. It also seems odd that they pushed the 2023.6.11 as well. This was the same version TLLMRRJ had issue updating. It is also the first time I've had 2 updates in one day. Maybe there is something updated for the wheel that isn't listed in the release notes.

This morning, Tesla tried to push 2022.44.10 and it downloaded fine, and it did not complete the reinstall. Apparently the lack of completion is flagging holding up the V11 FSD 2022.45.13 push. Tesla txt me that the configuration is fine but stumped as to why the steering wheel addition seems to have tripped this up. They are researching this

Worth noting, the on screen messages about the wheel are fine (ie, hands on the steering wheel) but the yoke symbol on right side of the screen (when AP of FSD can activate) is still a yoke. What do you guys see with that symbol, did it become a wheel? The symbol on right side of the small screen.

This morning, Tesla tried to push 2022.44.10 and it downloaded fine, and it did not complete the reinstall. Apparently the lack of completion is flagging holding up the V11 FSD 2022.45.13 push. Tesla txt me that the configuration is fine but stumped as to why the steering wheel addition seems to have tripped this up. They are researching this

Worth noting, the on screen messages about the wheel are fine (ie, hands on the steering wheel) but the yoke symbol on right side of the screen (when AP of FSD can activate) is still a yoke. What do you guys see with that symbol, did it become a wheel? The symbol on right side of the small screen.

Literally everything is a wheel for me now. Even the graphic for the audio settings of the radio. All yokes fully banished!

1680809900560.jpeg

1680809930052.jpeg