Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why am I getting 330+ Wh/mi?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everything I am reading, people are getting mid to high 200's for Wh/mi but I have had my car just 2 weeks and gotten average 325 and often much worse on a trip. This includes a 180 mile trip I took all at highway speeds where I started with over 300 mi charge and got warning I have to go less than 65 to make it home, and we had to end up hitting a supercharger. This see4ms WAY off from predictions and other's reported usage. I was using autopilot most of the way of the 180 mi trip as regular highway speeds.

I understand that quick starts and cold weather will impact the reported Wh/mi,, but this has happened with both cold (~30F) and moderate (~55F) temperatures, but this seems way out of line with even that.

Thanks for ideas.

Chris

Everything I am reading, people are getting mid to high 200's for Wh/mi but I have had my car just 2 weeks and gotten average 325 and often much worse on a trip. This includes a 180 mile trip I took all at highway speeds where I started with over 300 mi charge and got warning I have to go less than 65 to make it home, and we had to end up hitting a supercharger. This see4ms WAY off from predictions and other's reported usage. I was using autopilot most of the way of the 180 mi trip as regular highway speeds.

I understand that quick starts and cold weather will impact the reported Wh/mi,, but this has happened with both cold (~30F) and moderate (~55F) temperatures, but this seems way out of line with even that.

Thanks for ideas.

Chris

there are so many variables it's almost impossible to put one's finger on what is going on with your particular scenario. There could be tire pressure or alignment issues headwinds how much weight is being carried in the car along with many others. And keep in mind the battery is a large thermal Mass so it is not going to change temperatures as fast as ambient temperatures do. cold weather performance at least in so far as the battery is concerned is a function of the temperature of the battery pack not of the ambient air temperature.

What direction where you heading? Did you have strong headwinds? When I drove a 3 over 1000 miles a few weeks back, we were averaging over 350 Wh/mile driving west across windy Wyoming at 80 mph. Shortly after we entered Utah, the average dropped to 280 Wh/mile or less. This was with the 19" sport wheels, inflated to ~45 PSI, I believe.

As others have said, biggest factors are:

1. Speed -- go 70 or 72 MPH max. Efficiency starts to take a nose dive above this.
2. Cabin heat -- use seat heaters instead or seat heaters + low cabin heat (set to max of 68F)

Some other items that can affect your efficiency:

1. AWD will get slightly less range than RWD
2. Check tire pressures especially in the cold since cold temperatures will reduce your tire pressure. Inflate to 45 psi cold for a road trip
3. Brand new tires will have higher rolling resistance until they break in and develop easier flexion.
4. Headwinds can be a huge factor, check weather reports. If you have a strong headwind, slow down even more.

• Informative
Reactions: longshot49 and DR61
The car was designed in California - so "cold" for them is 55F.
Common misconception. California is huge and has a diverse climate. For instance the pass on I80 between the Sparks, NV Gigafactory and the Fremont factory has more average snowfall than most parts of Michigan.

Agree about speed (EPA average test speed is around 55 MPH) and cabin heat. EV's (all of them) don't have enough waste heat to adequately heat the cabin, so must use battery energy for that if demanded.

Reactions: DOCAL