Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are my feet cold?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty cold here in NYC and my feet are freezing on 30-50 minute rides. The heat is set to 74 and the cabin is a good temperature but my feet are freezing. I'm pretty sure I have good circulation :).

Is it because the rear heat is off automatically and so the floor stays cold?

I haven't gotten my X yet, so don't know, but isn't there a bi-level setting like in other vehicles so that it will split the air flow between the floor and the upper vents?

You can change the vent settings like any other car but my concern was that while on "auto" my feet are still freezing while the rest of the cabin is ok. I'm sure I can adjust it to floor only and be ok but auto mode should do that by itself.

Reactions: FarmerDave
You can change the vent settings like any other car but my concern was that while on "auto" my feet are still freezing while the rest of the cabin is ok. I'm sure I can adjust it to floor only and be ok but auto mode should do that by itself.
I suppose I was thinking that my present ICE car defaults to the floor vents when in a heating situation. I would have thought that the Teslas would do the same thing in Automatic.

BTW, I had the Tesla set to direct heat to my feet, and my feet were still freezing. The interesting thing is that I needed heat both on my feet and directed to the windshield (to prevent ice build-up). But if I set climate control to Auto, it turned off the windshield heat and kept directing heat to the feet. But I didn't feel any heat down there.

Check the vent at your feet. On another thread it looked like the hot air was directed above your feet, kind of missing them with the direct blast. You may have to figure out a way to redirect that air flow. No way for Auto to know your feet are cold.
There is a vent under the seat and I originally had it blocked. But even after unblocking it, my feet were still cold. However, one thing I noticed is that the car does know that my feet are cold. When on Auto mode, it seemed to know to heat the feet. I had heat directed at windshield and when I selected Auto, it changed to feet. I think there might be a temperature sensor somewhere down there.

I need to perform a few more experiments to verify that this is the case.

On Auto by freezing ouside temperatures my car can't heat the cabin sufficently even when Temp. is on max. With manual settings, Fan at 8 and Temp at 25 it's o.K. But I have to wear good shoes.....
Manualy I can only change between Feet, Middle and Windshield. There is no split mode or do I miss something?

You can select more than one zone to acheive a split …

I get the best results in cold weather with manual settings - turn off the AC to preventy cycling, recirculation on auto, select the zones you want and the temp you want. I also map the fan speed to the right scroll wheel - comes in handy if the windows fog.

It doesn't get all that cold here in Atlanta, but it is hovering around 32 F lately. Am I the only one that sets the temp around 68, turns seat heater and steering wheel heater on, and feels plenty warm? You guys mention freezing temperatures, is it actually more like 0 F where you are having to set the temperature to high?