Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are people waiting at Costco gas stations instead of buying Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many good reasons and here is just one...
For many families the Model S & X are too expensive and a sedan doesn't work when you need to carry taller items. The Model Y will help.
Good example is my son. He loves my Model 3 but with a family the lack of a hatchback/liftback just doesn't work.

Reactions: mswlogo
Even with common sense and a degree doesn’t change the fact that people can’t afford a new car. Whether they want to save money in the long run or not.

Same reason why most ppl rent and not buy a house. Can’t afford the down. Not like they don’t know buying is better in the long run.

Maybe you can't afford a new EV but there are plenty of used EVs out there at inexpensive prices.
Maybe not a Tesla but others. Used Nissan Leafs can be had for $5000.

I was going to ask how long the average Tesla owner sits while charging, but considering V10 update mostly included media updates like Netflix integration, I'm guessing its longer than people at Costco

Most of the time I don't wait at all because the car charges during times I don't need it and it has a 90% charge every time I do need it. Last week I did take a road trip to California and supercharged a number of times. More than once supercharging was done before I was ready because I was grabbing a bite to eat. I waited once about 10 minutes for the car to finish charging while I was on the phone. Another time I had to wait about 5 minutes after getting back from answering the call of nature. I stayed a couple of nights with family and had to charge at 120V, which was a little annoying, but didn't need the car (we were hauling stuff with my sister's truck) and the other nights were all in hotels that either had destination chargers or were literally next door to a supercharger.

Well over 99% of the time charging is more convenient than putting gas in the car and the few times where I do have to wait it really isn't that big a deal.

Buying this car to save money doesn't quite make sense. At best, it's a $40,000 purchase. The folks trying to save a few cents on gas are probably not the folks that can make a $40k purchase.

If it was about saving money, I'd just keep my Honda Civic.

Maybe in TX it is different but here in the SE the people who can afford the ever increasingly expensive Costco membership are the ones who can afford the 40K+ cars. Not the poor souls having a beater car. And the people who pull up to the gas pumps in Costco come in Lexuses, BMW, Mercedes and huge expensive pickups. All well over 50K.

You don't see the $20K Honda civic there much. They usually go to the nearby Shell or QT.

I have submitted a request to COSTCO customer service that they install some EV chargers.
Maybe they need to hear from others that there is a demand for EV chargers from their customers.

Are you asking for free chargers or paid chargers. Our local Sams has a few Electrify America CCS / Other type chargers and the rates are exorbitant. I would rather come home and plug in for a cheaper rate than charge there.

I rented a townhouse from a multi-millionaire who drove a dingy 1995 Toyota Camery.....he didn't care what people thought of him, he provided for his family and lived a simple life....

Until a doofus like me plows head on to his Camry with my Model X while I’m watching Harry Potter on my laptop and a nag defeat device on the wheel.

Tesla’s are a tank when hit and are also a tank when they hit something else.

Until a doofus like me plows head on to his Camry with my Model X while I’m watching Harry Potter on my laptop and a nag defeat device on the wheel.

Tesla’s are a tank when hit and are also a tank when they hit something else.

Toyota builds safe cars too.
Why would you watch it on your laptop? You should defeat the Tesla Theater and watch on Netflix.

Print up some flyers that say something like:

WHY ARE YOU STILL PAYING $4 A GALLON FOR GAS? How much do you spend in gas per month? Order a Tesla and kiss gas goodbye. Charge up at home or on the road. The total cost of ownership of a Model 3 is less than a Toyota Camry. Go to: tesla.com.

Then pass 'em out to everyone waiting in line...before security notices you.

Reactions: What The Frunk
Buying this car to save money doesn't quite make sense. At best, it's a $40,000 purchase. The folks trying to save a few cents on gas are probably not the folks that can make a $40k purchase.

If it was about saving money, I'd just keep my Honda Civic.

I see plenty of new Mercedes / BMW / Lexus waiting in line at Costco gas stations at the Tustin CA location.

Think a good amount of them can afford an EV or Tesla but choose not to because they think gas is more convenient. Or they just prefer the sound / feel of gas cars.

Yet they still will wait in those long lines to save a few bucks on a $50-70 purchase. Like they resent the idea of paying full price for gas but don’t wanna consider alternate energy.