Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there so many M3 for sale in Australia. The number on Car Sale has doubled in a week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The number on Car Sale has doubled in a week to over 500 M3
Yeah it's all to do with the Model Y. The Model 3 is a conventional sedan whereas the Model Y is a contemporary SUV.

A lot of people who bought the Model 3 actually wanted a Model Y but it wasn't available at the time. Now the Model Y is available so they are offloading the Model 3 and upgrading to the Model Y.

I knew that this was going to happen, but I didn't expect that many.

Reactions: MC3OZ and paulp
Most don't share your opinion, hence the influx of 3's
Hard to know exactly how many model 3's have been sold in Australia because of the Tesla reporting, but I saw a guess that it was about 15000 or so thus far (this maybe wrong by thousands). So those switching out to a Y is not a large amount if the car sales listings represent some sort of delta.
A good friend of mine owns an S, a M3P and recently purchased a Y for his wife as she wanted a SUV like all the other mums. He never thought twice about selling either Tesla as he can afford it.
Different strokes for different folks.

Tesla Chair said something like 27k Tesla's in Aus at end June but it would be close to 50k by end year.

So at a guess at end June. 24k 3s, 2k S, 1k X.
By end December 36k 3s, 8k Ys, 2k S, 1k X
(Basically 3qtrs of 4k for the 3 including catch-up, and 2x4k for the Y)

Anecdotally, from three ppl I know selling their M3... One is waiting for a Y and selling, the other two ordered long range and just received them so selling their standard range
And that is the thing: the percentage of those Tesla sellers (flippers excluded) who are just going to another Tesla is very high indeed. Actually, there is a good chance that even the flippers are flipping cars to make money to buy a Tesla for themselves.

Anecdotally, from three ppl I know selling their M3... One is waiting for a Y and selling, the other two ordered long range and just received them so selling their standard range
I'm on that same boat. I bought my Model 3 SR+ now 3 years ago and got it in novated lease for 5 years. Now I was going to keep it for at least 7-10 years, but with the government changes to novated lease getting FBT excluded for new cars, I did a quick match on this and it will be cheaper for me to purchase a new Model 3 LR than continue paying my Model 3 SR+, so I have put in the order for the new car. Once the new car is getting close (when I get a VIN assigned to my order), I will put my Model 3 up for sale as legally I cannot have 2 cars in novated lease at same time :)
So for me its upgrade from SR+ to LR and lower monthly cost, so planning to keep the new one for 8-10 years unless something changes again...

Reactions: lS3toM3