Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are there so many new Plaid inventory cars showing up lately?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok. My entire sentence was meant to refer to that "past five months or so" period.

Anyway, between cancelling the $149,990 MS Plaid+ in early June and keeping the MS Plaid base price at $129,990 over the past five or so months while increasing the MS LR 19% during that time, it just made me wonder if there was also a lack of expected demand factor here when it came to the Plaid.

Are more people simply starting to balk at higher priced Teslas? Has the performance of even a base MS reached a level adequate for most buyers and thereby makes Plaid level cars less necessary/desirable?
That was bound to happen, especially when you consider the fact that so many youtubers and reviewers have been calling out Tesla’s subpar build quality, there’s only so many people who are willing to put up with it at that price point.

Some more interior and exterior differentiation (optional or standard) might help Plaid sales; it doesn't need to be (and probably shouldn't be) crazy differences but something, and that wouldn't create practical issues for Tesla. Perhaps more carbon fiber bits that can even be snapped onto the side view mirrors, or even some interior badges (that don't fall off and aren't cheesy). I realize there are aftermarket companies that do this anyway but for folks who just want it all "factory stock" for their cars, these small visual differences might help sales. Certainly price matters, and it's a pretty big jump from LR to Plaid on pricing, even though Plaid will destroy almost every car in a straight line and is a straight-line performance bargain. The incremental benefits of visual differentiation might be quite compelling for buyers on the fence between LR and Plaid.

Reactions: msm859
I've been looking in SoCal and the available inventory is changing daily. Seems like cars are being sold and replaces quickly. The configuration I am wanting hasn't popped up yet down here, though.

There appears to be a lot of Plaids out there right now. What config are you looking for? You may be able to find exactly what you want if you are willing to travel to a store outside your area and/or are willing to have it shipped to your local store.

Have you talked to a Tesla sales advisor? They have access to inventory not posted online.

That was bound to happen, especially when you consider the fact that so many youtubers and reviewers have been calling out Tesla’s subpar build quality, there’s only so many people who are willing to put up with it at that price point.
My biggest issue with Tesla is not the mediocre physical build quality but instead the poor customer service I have experienced (e.g., responsiveness, appointment availability, app limitations, availability to speak with a local human when that would be way more efficient). The joke I have with my wife is that Tesla customer service is actually doing a never-ending Candid Camera episode with me, to see how far they can push things with a customer. With Tesla sales seemingly growing faster than its support network, customer service seems destined to become even more of an issue. When I don't have any service needs or even simple questions needing answering, the car is quite good; smooth, comfortable, of course quiet, fast, holds plenty of cargo, good battery range, improving user interface, etc. In short, I just pray I don't need customer service...

There appears to be a lot of Plaids out there right now. What config are you looking for? You may be able to find exactly what you want if you are willing to travel to a store outside your area and/or are willing to have it shipped to your local store.

Have you talked to a Tesla sales advisor? They have access to inventory not posted online.
Yeah I have someone at Tesla looking. There are a few cars in inventory that match what I want but they are in the Midwest

Are more people simply starting to balk at higher priced Teslas? Has the performance of even a base MS reached a level adequate for most buyers and thereby makes Plaid level cars less necessary/desirable?

Yeah, it's purely bragging rights at this point or just paying more to get the car sooner, since LRs are like 6 months out. I splurged for the P85D, and had no regrets because it came with a better suspension, and very noticeably faster 0-60 compared to the non P at the time. But now you're paying 30K+ for 1 second faster 0-60, and the torque vectoring which probably only matters on a track (and there is no track mode yet).

My biggest issue with Tesla is not the mediocre physical build quality but instead the poor customer service I have experienced (e.g., responsiveness, appointment availability, app limitations, availability to speak with a local human when that would be way more efficient). The joke I have with my wife is that Tesla customer service is actually doing a never-ending Candid Camera episode with me, to see how far they can push things with a customer. With Tesla sales seemingly growing faster than its support network, customer service seems destined to become even more of an issue. When I don't have any service needs or even simple questions needing answering, the car is quite good; smooth, comfortable, of course quiet, fast, holds plenty of cargo, good battery range, improving user interface, etc. In short, I just pray I don't need customer service...
My thought process is if they improve build quality there will be less vehicles going back to the service center to get things fixed post delivery which will relieve the work load on the service centers thus giving them more time to focus on non build quality issues. But of course that wouldn’t satisfy wall st which is Elon’s top priority.

I have a chance to buy a Plaid that is the right configuration but it was damaged during transportation. Seems it was pretty bad as Tesla is disclosing it and the repair costs were almost $10k. New bumper, hood, rocker panels. They are selling it as new with the disclosure and a $4k discount.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has a strong opinion on this. Worth it for the discount? Too risky that something wasn't repaired properly?

I have a chance to buy a Plaid that is the right configuration but it was damaged during transportation. Seems it was pretty bad as Tesla is disclosing it and the repair costs were almost $10k. New bumper, hood, rocker panels. They are selling it as new with the disclosure and a $4k discount.

Would be interested to hear if anyone has a strong opinion on this. Worth it for the discount? Too risky that something wasn't repaired properly?
@cartwright A $4000 discount on a $140,000 wrecked and repaired car that will likely have an unclean CarFax wouldn’t even come close to cutting it for me. I’m not sure $20,000 would be enough. If $4000 makes than much of a difference, that you would consider taking this wreck, perhaps a Plaid is the wrong car for you? :)

I just ordered my Plaid today. Actually went to the service center locally here to edit some things. And they had two plaids sitting there that the owners canceled. They didn't meet my specs but the rep said the ppl that ordered them didn't even show up to get them

Too risky IMO. You're buying a 140-150k car. 4k is a drop in the bucket. I wouldn't take risk. I have a buddy with a model S that was similar and he took it. They repaired it but it keeps having weird issues where the camera goes out randomly etc. He's had to take it to service several times. Obv more internal damage that met the eye at first.

Many states have laws that require dealers to disclose damage repair on new cars if it's above a certain dollar amount or percentage of MSRP. It would likely be repaired properly (and perhaps even done with more care and attention than a new build car:() but it's still not worth it for just a $4k discount.

Reactions: jebinc
@cartwright A $4000 discount on a $140,000 wrecked and repaired car that will likely have an unclean CarFax wouldn’t even come close to cutting it for me. I’m not sure $20,000 would be enough. If $4000 makes than much of a difference, that you would consider taking this wreck, perhaps a Plaid is the wrong car for you? :)
I highly doubt a transport-related pre-delivery first party repair would show up on a vehicle history report. This stuff happens all the time. No big deal.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Many states have laws that require dealers to disclose damage repair on new cars if it's above a certain dollar amount or percentage of MSRP. It would likely be repaired properly (and perhaps even done with more care and attention than a new build car:() but it's still not worth it for just a $4k discount.

Well the law applies to what they do know! In my friend's case, they fixed the damage, but then there were issues with electronics parts, cameras etc. Which ofc tesla is fixing but they keep having issues over and over. So imo, its not worth wasting your time to keep taking it to service. Just my two cents tho!

Fly there and drive it back, great first road trip! If you don't have time I'll go for you

I have my plaid order in and there is one in like DC that matches my config but my SA cant bring it here cuz its "out of the region" or something. And right now tesla is not shipping them out of the region they are in. I guess due to cost? But hell they charging us the transport fee anyways?? lol