Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered in line in CA sight unseen because I thought it'll be a smaller S with all the current features at the time like AP and AWD. Tesla surprised me with AP2 but today I'm thinking about canceling because it doesn't have an AWD option like it's available on the Model S. I will see what happens after the reveal and online configs open.
It will have AWD - the wait will just be a bit longer, maybe up to 6 months.

Would you have cancelled if Model 3 deliveries had started with AWD versions, but the Model 3 launch was delayed six months?

so put my model 3 reservations the day it came out, My lease on my electric fiat was up summer of 2017. I then thought, i wanted a big car with more range, if was going add all the extra money i wanted something else. I got a cpo model s 85 with ap1 a week ago. I am over 6f2 and a big guy and worried about the size of the 3. I have not cxl my model 3 reservations as of yet. I am wondering if people can sell their reservation? Or maybe buy the car and then sell for a profit.

Canceled mine, reason? Ordered MX!

Never in our wildest dreams We could have afforded a Model X. This was, however, a bitter sweet moment. My father-in-law passed away in January. This man was incredibly frugal, never showed interest in his grand children, never a small present for birthdays just a birthday card. Alway complaining about money and that everything is so expensive etc. Because of that he has never been a real granddad for our children. Then he passed away. My wife is only heir and we found out he had tons of cash on his checking account and I mean tons!
Of the inheritance we could easily buy a loaded MX cash now! To be honest, I was incredibly pissed. Why did he do as he did? Why couldn't he be more of a grandfather to our children (the only two he had), take them for a vacation to Disneyland or at least send them a present for their birthday? In all honesty I would have preferred that over a Model X any day of the week!
Another gesture that he could have done was to give (part of) the money to my wife when my father-in-law was still alive. At least he could hear a "thank you"....

A couple of months later we overcome the anger. We were looking at a CPO first. Then we test drove a new one and the sales guy made a proposal. We hesitated. We knew it would be a lot of money but seeing it on paper we still chocked. He then came back with an inventory car, which was little cheaper. The thing was that we had to decide right there and then (this due to being end of quarter) We couldn't as the funds were not cleared with the bank. That would take another three weeks. Coming home we decided to go for a brand new one just the way we like it. There was a $3000 discount on the inventory car. Our configuration in Canada amounts to $180K + so we thought the $3K on that amount is less than 2%, so we might as well get the one we like. We decided on a 100D, pearl white with everything on it except towing, extra charger and self driving capabilities. Interior is white too! Delivery in May and we are now super excited!

Since Elon mentioned that Model 3 is a smaller version of Model S we decided that to cancel that one. The Model S is too low for me. I have back issues and getting in and out of the car is too much hassle.
Besides, being an MX owner then, we could be in front of the line if it so happen that we change our mind!

I ordered in line in CA sight unseen because I thought it'll be a smaller S with all the current features at the time like AP and AWD. Tesla surprised me with AP2 but today I'm thinking about canceling because it doesn't have an AWD option like it's available on the Model S. I will see what happens after the reveal and online configs open.
It will have AWD - the wait will just be a bit longer, maybe up to 6 months.

Would you have cancelled if Model 3 deliveries had started with AWD versions, but the Model 3 launch was delayed six months?
Or just tell yourself that the AWD model is still following the original Model 3 production start date of late 2017 as announced at last year's reveal, which must have been an acceptable timeframe or else you would have cancelled earlier or not even made a reservation in the first place. Now Tesla is saying they can start building the RWD models earlier. Since you're wanting the AWD version, this latest news doesn't apply to you. Thus, you're still planning for delivery based on the original schedule.

Last edited:
Two days ago, I couldn't imagine what would cause me to cancel my reservations, short of unemployment. Cancel one of the two? Possibly. Both? Fat chance.

Now.. No AWD, only one 15" screen. He said it was going to be "like a spaceship". A 15" screen is a low-end laptop.

I'm going to wait until the hard information comes out. But now, in the back of my head, cancelling my reservations - both of them - IS a possibility. ...and I've been a Tesla evangelist for a LONG time.

Now.. No AWD, only one 15" screen. He said it was going to be "like a spaceship". A 15" screen is a low-end laptop.
AWD will be in Q1 2018 which is when most of us thought we'd start receiving orders anyway so that isn't really news and there's not really a delay unless you are a Tesla/SpaceX employee and were expecting the car in Q3 2017 or you live in California and were expecting a Q4 2017 delivery. You meet none of these criteria, from what I can tell, so you won't have to worry and are not truly affected by this delay. If anything you'll get a better built car out of it.

Second, besides the 17 inch screen in the Model S, which isn't in the best spot for a passenger, a 15 inch screen is still probably going to be bigger than any screen you've ever had in a car. The size of the screen will not affect readability or usability in a car, so I'm not sure what your gripe about it is. My Macbook Pro has a 15 inch screen and it's a beautiful display. I wouldn't call it a low end laptop.

We also don't know if the production screen is going to be OLED. If so then it would look amazing.

Last edited:
I'm 6'6" and was also skeptical of the cabin room I'd be afforded in a 3.
Based on the side-by-side S vs. 3 photo comparisons I have seen on TMC, I believe the front row headroom will be the same in both cars and the rear seat headroom will be better in the 3.

I think you will fit in a 3 with the sunroof or glass roof. Probably not with the standard metal roof.

I haven't cancelled my M3 order, but I am getting concerned that the M3 will be far too stripped down for my taste. Frankly, I could pay cash for a nice MS, but I'm single and really don't want a car physically that big. And I don't need extended range, as my furthest trips are from San Diego to LA. I'm NOT expecting high-end luxury in the M3 by any means. I have a 2009 Acura TL, loaded, and it's fine for me. I'll wait until more concrete information and pricing is out before making any drastic decisions.

I have AWD now on my TL, but frankly have zero need for it. So I'm not disappointed about the M3 delay in AWD as I would not have taken that option anyway.

Never in our wildest dreams We could have afforded a Model X. This was, however, a bitter sweet moment. My father-in-law passed away in January. This man was incredibly frugal, never showed interest in his grand children, never a small present for birthdays just a birthday card. Alway complaining about money and that everything is so expensive etc. Because of that he has never been a real granddad for our children. Then he passed away. My wife is only heir and we found out he had tons of cash on his checking account and I mean tons!

Why old men become so grumpy... Does he ever enjoy life? I just hope I will not become like that.

Two days ago, I couldn't imagine what would cause me to cancel my reservations, short of unemployment. Cancel one of the two? Possibly. Both? Fat chance.

I'm going to wait until the hard information comes out. But now, in the back of my head, cancelling my reservations - both of them - IS a possibility. ...and I've been a Tesla evangelist for a LONG time.

what car with >15" screen will you buy instead?

i agree that promising a "spaceship" may not have been the best idea, but it probably wasn't a good idea for folks to assume that a model 3 which is less than half the price of an S would somehow have a better interior.

the model S already feels like a spaceship, and if the 17" display was 2" smaller, it still would. A well-equipped CPO model S can be had for what a well-equipped Model 3 likely will cost, and have better range, acceleration, interior and space. for anyone who doesn't mind the larger size, it's worth it. i'm glad we stopped waiting and took the plunge.

That is what I told my wife too, "kick me in the bud when I start acting like that.."
It is such a shame not to allow yourself to enjoy life..
As a certified old guy, I can say that's probably one of the reasons I decided to get a Tesla even though there's no compelling reason why I couldn't just keep driving my old Prius. It'll be my grumpiness antidote. ;) The other is my little granddaughter. My wife and I adore and spoil her and visit her regularly. If being around her doesn't lift my spirits, then I'm probably in trouble.

Last edited: