Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why did you cancel your Model 3 reservation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haven't yet, but we are placing an order for a Model X in a few weeks. We will cancel our Model 3 reservation on that day. It only took the wife 1 test drive to convince her.... ...and me too...

This is precisely the reason I haven't yet scheduled a test drive of a Tesla.

I've heard it's like crack and once you try it, you might develop an addiction.

Three years ago, I was perfectly happy with my '99 Acura. Life was good. I'd been following Tesla online, but hadn't ever been in one. I stopped by the Tesla store in Corte Madera while shopping. "Want to take a drive?" Well, sure. That'd be fun.

Now look at me. Two Teslas, over 5000 TMC posts, a moderator here.

You have made a good choice.

Three years ago, I was perfectly happy with my '99 Acura. Life was good. I'd been following Tesla online, but hadn't ever been in one. I stopped by the Tesla store in Corte Madera while shopping. "Want to take a drive?" Well, sure. That'd be fun.

Now look at me. Two Teslas, over 5000 TMC posts, a moderator here.

You have made a good choice.

I agree with you it is an amazing car! I test drove one and it is a game changer. I just really have a hard time giving up money. I just wanted that Model S so bad but I had to tell myself no. This will allow me to get more options on the Model 3 and get the car I truly want instead of removing things on the Model S just to get it somewhere into my price range.

Yea... We decided to revisit our car situation after the test drive. We found that it actually makes more sense to get the X than the 3 in that if we got the 3, it would be a 3rd vehicle, which at this point we really don't need. My 4-door wrangler is still under warranty and paid off so it just makes sense to keep it as a second daily driver instead of moving it to toy status.

For the X, we've been playing around with the options and the 75D makes sense to us. It gives us over 200 miles/charge in the spring-fall time frame and probably down to about 160-180 miles in the winter. This is way more than we really need. I'd say about a small fraction of a percent of all the driving we will do could benefit from a larger battery, but at what cost.... $10-13k is steep for us to justify possible skipping a supercharger on a long vacation a few times in the time we keep the vehicle. I'd say I can stop a couple extra times on a route to stay topped off. Now this is our situation and not anyone else's, so this makes sense to us.

Also, we won't be getting the premium upgrades package nor the upgraded audio system. No 22" rims and no multicoat paint. We will however get the white seats package which also give us the suede like material on the headliner. This is probably the only "luxury option" we are getting, but because the seats clean up better, it has use to it. We also will only be getting the first autopilot package. We will be getting the 5-seater for more storage space. Plus, we're accustomed to only 5-seater suv's so why change now. Plus, we look at the utilitarian side of things and the more storage is a huge plus for us. Oh and we will be getting the cold weather package as we live in the north east.

This configuration I feel is down to the necessities for us and keeps the cost down. Once you can start thinking rationally, you can really feel better as you uncheck the boxes for things you don't need. I also don't like perforated leather seats as all the vehicles we've had that has had them ended up with ripped leather. The leather is really thin. That is one of the things I rationalized not getting premium upgrades package.

Unless a second or third service center is build around me by the end of the year I will be canceling.
Are you sure the existing service center is close to being maximized? There are significant scheduling wait times at the service center I use but in my several visits there it appears there are lots of service bays with no activity. In fact on my last two visits, it looked like most of the service staff were standing around. I suspect the service center near me will do a lot or hiring as Model 3 intro nears and the pace of activity will greatly accelerate. So I share your concern as I am also on the wait list to add a Model 3 to my Model S, but don't believe opening another physical location or two will necessarily be the acid test of Tesla's ability to service cars in a timely manner. I think more hiring may be the more critical issue -- and unfortunately there aren't a lot of prospective employees with experience working on Teslas so that too will surely affect quality and timeliness of service for some time to come.

There are significant scheduling wait times at the service center I use but in my several visits there it appears there are lots of service bays with no activity. In fact on my last two visits, it looked like most of the service staff were standing around.
...and people still wonder why even routine service is currently the price it is. It's difficult to get people to understand that with such a low volume of cars it doesn't mean the staff get paid any less. Everyone has to make up the costs when no one is getting service. I don't believe for a second that service is going to be this expensive with a higher volume of vehicles.

Reactions: Red Sage
Yea... We decided to revisit our car situation after the test drive. We found that it actually makes more sense to get the X than the 3 in that if we got the 3, it would be a 3rd vehicle, which at this point we really don't need. My 4-door wrangler is still under warranty and paid off so it just makes sense to keep it as a second daily driver instead of moving it to toy status.

For the X, we've been playing around with the options and the 75D makes sense to us. It gives us over 200 miles/charge in the spring-fall time frame and probably down to about 160-180 miles in the winter. This is way more than we really need. I'd say about a small fraction of a percent of all the driving we will do could benefit from a larger battery, but at what cost.... $10-13k is steep for us to justify possible skipping a supercharger on a long vacation a few times in the time we keep the vehicle. I'd say I can stop a couple extra times on a route to stay topped off. Now this is our situation and not anyone else's, so this makes sense to us.

Also, we won't be getting the premium upgrades package nor the upgraded audio system. No 22" rims and no multicoat paint. We will however get the white seats package which also give us the suede like material on the headliner. This is probably the only "luxury option" we are getting, but because the seats clean up better, it has use to it. We also will only be getting the first autopilot package. We will be getting the 5-seater for more storage space. Plus, we're accustomed to only 5-seater suv's so why change now. Plus, we look at the utilitarian side of things and the more storage is a huge plus for us. Oh and we will be getting the cold weather package as we live in the north east.

This configuration I feel is down to the necessities for us and keeps the cost down. Once you can start thinking rationally, you can really feel better as you uncheck the boxes for things you don't need. I also don't like perforated leather seats as all the vehicles we've had that has had them ended up with ripped leather. The leather is really thin. That is one of the things I rationalized not getting premium upgrades package.

So what is your 2nd vehicle currently, apart from the Wrangler and are you disposing of this to keep the car count to two?

The reason why I am intending to get a Model 3 instead of an X is the cost (of course, as it's probably about double) and because we already have a RAV4 Hybrid which I have no intention of selling any time soon because we tend to keep our cars as long as maintenance or repairs don't become horrendously cost prohibitive.

At least for my household, it doesn't make sense to have two SUV's because I really don't like driving one ( I prefer the regular sedan or slightly lower coupe) and my wife wanted the SUV, so we got a RAV Hybrid.

I do understand your point though that SUV's makes more sense going electric because the gas counterpart would be such a gas guzzler. If the Model Y was made available at 10k premium when the 3 launches, I would just opt for the Y instead of the 3 and sell the RAV4 Hybrid since at least in that case, my wife will be driving the Y and I will happy we are saving money on gasoline costs. :)

Last edited:

wait until you are at a red lite, a 300 series Bimmer is in the left lane wanting to "jump the lite to make a right turn in front of you, and your calm sedate wife, screams "PUNCH IT! PUNCH IT!!!"
BMW way far back in the rear view mirror (and no speeding ticket either thankfully)
(Electrics can be fun)

So what is your 2nd vehicle currently, apart from the Wrangler and are you disposing of this to keep the car count to two?

It's a Grand Cherokee with a 5.7L Hemi. Surprisingly though it gets a few mpg's better than my Wrangler. Funny thing about it is it's fully loaded and we only really use the dynamic cruise control. I don't use the integrated navigation because it royally sucks balls.

Yes, we will be disposing it. Thought about private selling it, but our lives are too busy to try it again... I had a 2-door Honda Accord (2012) fully loaded a few years ago that I was trying to sell it private sale at over $3k below the tradein value. No one wanted it. I ended up finding a dealer that agreed to just buy it for what we owed on the loan. That was a very expensive lesson learned.

^ Lol, we actually have a 2011 Accord coupe that I don't want to dispose of because it's still low in maintenance but yeah, I'd be low-balled if I wanted to sell it privately or to a dealership because it only has two doors! We obtained it when we had one daughter, 10 at the time, then in 2014, we got a welcome miracle and my conceived with another daughter. We were able to use it to bring our little one to the daycare for about a year after my wife's mat leave but my wife demanded for an SUV in late 2015, which is why we got the RAV4 Hybrid. :)

We have extended warranty until close to the end of 2018. In mid-2018, I will be contacting an old service manager at a dealership 60 miles from where I live to have his mechanic do a thorough inspection for any potential warranty work that can be done. I don't mind paying a few hours but if they find any issues, I'm sure they won't be charging me an inspection fee.

Our third car is a beater 02 Honda Civic that I will likely have to dispose (donate and get a tax receipt or sell for a few hundred) when my daughter passes graduated licensing because insurance premiums will increase significantly if she had to be primary on one of the three cars. It doesn't have any ABS but it's a joy to own -- no cleaning except for the underside after winter (and vacuuming of the interior once in a while), little maintenance done and I can back into just about any tight parking spot without any qualms.

The Model 3 is going to be the EV I will be gravitating to if Honda or Toyota comes up with bland (not digging the Honda Clarity but the electric version may be worth the look) or no offering (Toyota says sometime in 2020). I will delay the Model 3 purchase as much as I can (configuration, delivery) but if there are no AWD EV alternatives from the Japanese, I will likely settle for the 3.

...........And.............. I "UnCancel" our Model 3 reservation... lol.

After calculating the annual property tax cost (good 'ole Virginia) for the Model X75d ($100,000) we were about to reserve, it would cost us $4,587.80 per year to cover the personal property tax on the Model X. Now this cost would go down slightly each year as the vehicle depreciates, but not as fast as we would like it to as we would probably replace it 4 years down the road. I can swing an extra $150/month on top of the car loan for say a Model 3, but I can't swallow $400/month for the Model X. All saved money coming from a lower priced ICE is null after the extra tax costs. At that point, I would be just buying the X for 100% the coolness factor and nothing else. If we didn't just buy a house, we might've still considered it.

...........And.............. I "UnCancel" our Model 3 reservation... lol.

After calculating the annual property tax cost (good 'ole Virginia) for the Model X75d ($100,000) we were about to reserve, it would cost us $4,587.80 per year to cover the personal property tax on the Model X. Now this cost would go down slightly each year as the vehicle depreciates, but not as fast as we would like it to as we would probably replace it 4 years down the road. I can swing an extra $150/month on top of the car loan for say a Model 3, but I can't swallow $400/month for the Model X. All saved money coming from a lower priced ICE is null after the extra tax costs. At that point, I would be just buying the X for 100% the coolness factor and nothing else. If we didn't just buy a house, we might've still considered it.

WTF?!?! You're taxed almost 5% annually on non-real-estate property? That sounds way too crazy! On the plus side, that must mean you can avoid sales/use tax on it right?

WTF?!?! You're taxed almost 5% annually on non-real-estate property? That sounds way too crazy! On the plus side, that must mean you can avoid sales/use tax on it right?

Where we live at, we are annually taxed 5.2% the value of each of our vehicles (this goes to the county and town). Don't confuse this with the initial car sales tax. You can see it in more detail in my thread where I broke it down if you like:
Model X + Personal Property Tax = Expensive

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly