Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do people really want Tesla to fail?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People feel the same way about Apple. They hate Apple for no real reason. I usually find out that once they try an iPhone all that changes. Usually people get bitter and hate things like Apple and Tesla If they cant afford them. I think in some ways it’s fearing change and in others it’s to be spiteful.

Reactions: bhzmark
I’ve studied “Tesla haters” extensively on other forums and subreddits, particularly r/investing and r/RealTesla.

Money is a big motivating factor in the investment/financial community. A lot of these financial types measure Tesla purely on the quarterly numbers and abstract metrics, without ever bothering to understand Tesla’s products or the automotive industry in general. They therefore often fail to understand why Tesla is able to stay in business and attract investment. This lack of understanding of the human factors leads to bitter anger over lost $ from badly timed shorting.

Outside of the financial industry, I find that a lot of the hatred has to do with Elon Musk’s personality, and specifically Elon’s tendencies to be overly optimistic on timelines. A lot of people think Elon is simply a liar or scam artist because he consistently doesn’t meet his stated deadlines on everything from the original Tesla Roadster to Model 3 production targets.

A certain subset of Auto Industry members (engineering, production workers, etc) perceive Elon Musk as an arrogant upstart who doesn’t know what he is doing. They hate Elon because Elon talks big, but also disregards a lot of conventional wisdom and traditions in the industry that are the result of decades of evolution and fine tuning. People like u/CliffordCat of r/RealTesla fall into this category. They see Tesla’s consistent lateness and manufacturing struggle as evidence that they are right and that Elon is a fool. Anything Tesla eventually gets right only feeds this negative feeling because people who are used to the security of conventional wisdom, take the double hit of losing that security and being proven wrong.

The bottom line is that Money and/or Ego drives almost all the rage and seething hatred I read about Tesla on a daily basis. Nobody likes to lose money or be humiliated.

People feel the same way about Apple. They hate Apple for no real reason. I usually find out that once they try an iPhone all that changes. Usually people get bitter and hate things like Apple and Tesla If they cant afford them. I think in some ways it’s fearing change and in others it’s to be spiteful.
I think people have very good reasons to dislike Apple.

1. tax dodging, yes I know every big company does it, but they are far and away the #1 offender. The fact that they are finally being held accountable overseas, and plan to repatriate money, will help that perception.

2. politics, why are they getting involved in politics? all that does is piss off a certain % of the population.

3. hypocrisy, derived from politics... Apple declares that they won't do business or whatever in some state because of a 'bathroom law' that attacks human rights.
but they have no qualms doing business in countries where women aren't allowed to drive, homosexuality is outlawed, their devices are censored by the gov't, people are killed because of their political beliefs...

4. human rights again, for a long time they lied, denied, threw up their hands about suicides and children working in their supply chain. Out of our control! You can't believe everything you hear!
Bullpoop. Only when it became an international embarrassment did they 'look into it'. Like tax dodging, all manufacturing/tech that does business in China has this issue. Apple is the worst offender.
Apple’s Failed CSR Audit :A Report on Catcher Technology Polluting the Environment and Harming the Health of Workers
Tuesday, January 16, 2018
CLW brought up a number of issues regarding Catcher with Apple, however, Apple claimed that the factory had undertaken and passed over 50 audits. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

5. They sabotage their own devices to squeeze every last penny they can out of the consumer (and got caught).
I have a friend who received an update that bricked his phone, he went to the store where others had the same issue. Coincidentally Apple also had new phone release at the same time. Hey buddy, you need a new phone!

I listed 5 issues and didn't even touch on the affordability of the phone, IOS, or fearing 'change'.

That's just not true. Not true at all. Elon gives dates.

That's why one of the dates Tesla gave for AP 2.0 they are paying out in a lawsuit. No CEO can just blab out any and everything on earnings calls and not expect to be held accountable. Example: what date did he give about Model Y on the Shareholders earnings call? What date did he give about 5K per week on the Shareholders earnings call? Is Tesla going to make those dates? Shareholders own the company.

Tesla Settles Class Action on AP2.0 Delays

I invest in Tesla because of what Elon and company say they are going to do....not because of what they dream about. For goodness sake...the guy wants to populate Mars.....however he has never said that on an earnings call as an objective for Tesla.

I am certainly not against Tesla.....for goodness sake I own over $40K in shares. I'm all in on what they want to do....for the earth and the environment and for transportation. I just want them to either start making the dates or stop promising dates. Stop the class action suits for being late.

~40k in shares and you think your top 5% TSLA investor on this site? Excluding non investors I think you're way off. I have multiples more than you and I doubt I'm in the top 5%. Interesting how different people can hear Elons words and have completely different perspectives.

This Tesla hate in the long run will be a non issue. I understand @JRP3's point about lasting tarnished reputation, but by the time Tesla needs a sale to a "hater" to keep the business moving forward, many minds will have changed.

I use to try to refute everyone on any topic that they had formed an opinion based on bad facts or logic, but I've realized I can't fix stupid and the more I debate them the more they will defend their position even after realizing they are a fool. I got hit with the "I'm worried about you getting burned alive in your Tesla" at a social event yesterday. I didn't bother debating, just said "I think we will be ok". They won't hear the facts anyways. Funny enough, my wife got hit with the exact same comment later in the evening from a coworker, she did point out the statistics and changed some minds so maybe I shouldn't give up on humanity completely.

One of my favorite sayings regarding haters, "if you can get half the country to hate you, you can be president".

What do I care about some do nothing clown on the internet being critical of someone doing what Tesla/Elon has accomplished? The conversation pretty much ends at this point. That doesn't mean I like these people, I actually can't stand them. I comfort myself by assuming they are miserable people and don't have many friends.

If you get a negative comment from someone just say: “come back to me after you have actually driven one.”

And as far as the fires go, just respond with “you may want to check the number of fire related recalls your car brand has had.”

~40k in shares and you think your top 5% TSLA investor on this site? Excluding non investors I think you're way off. I have multiples more than you and I doubt I'm in the top 5%. Interesting how different people can hear Elons words and have completely different perspectives.

This Tesla hate in the long run will be a non issue. I understand @JRP3's point about lasting tarnished reputation, but by the time Tesla needs a sale to a "hater" to keep the business moving forward, many minds will have changed.

I use to try to refute everyone on any topic that they had formed an opinion based on bad facts or logic, but I've realized I can't fix stupid and the more I debate them the more they will defend their position even after realizing they are a fool. I got hit with the "I'm worried about you getting burned alive in your Tesla" at a social event yesterday. I didn't bother debating, just said "I think we will be ok". They won't hear the facts anyways. Funny enough, my wife got hit with the exact same comment later in the evening from a coworker, she did point out the statistics and changed some minds so maybe I shouldn't give up on humanity completely.

One of my favorite sayings regarding haters, "if you can get half the country to hate you, you can be president".

What do I care about some do nothing clown on the internet being critical of someone doing what Tesla/Elon has accomplished? The conversation pretty much ends at this point. That doesn't mean I like these people, I actually can't stand them. I comfort myself by assuming they are miserable people and don't have many friends.

Wow! Are you Kimball Musk who owns 148,000 shares?

• Funny
Reactions: BozieBeMe2