Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Settles Class Action on AP2.0 Delays

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

croman

Nov 21, 2016
Chicago, IL
Tesla agrees to partially reimburse people who bought Autopilot 2.0 in $5 million settlement of class action lawsuit

As always with class actions, the class attorneys win and the class just makes do. $280 per owner seems a bit paltry, but I don't want to go through the effort of suing Tesla myself. I just wish they'd tell us what is going on. No need to disclose trade secrets or anything but telling us they are working on X features and some thoughts on that development would go a long way towards building back customer goodwill.

The article says this does not cover "Fully Self-Driving Capability."

Would this settlement set encourage a delayed Fully Self-Driving Capability lawsuit?

Doubtful unless its shown that FSD hardware is deficient and Tesla cannot fix or replace the deficiency. The issues are different as FSD has different requirements and terms and conditions.

Tesla agrees to partially reimburse people who bought Autopilot 2.0 in $5 million settlement of class action lawsuit

As always with class actions, the class attorneys win and the class just makes do. $280 per owner seems a bit paltry, but I don't want to go through the effort of suing Tesla myself. I just wish they'd tell us what is going on. No need to disclose trade secrets or anything but telling us they are working on X features and some thoughts on that development would go a long way towards building back customer goodwill.
$280? I got my car last September, and it's $20, if I even cared. Yeah, better comms in this and everything would go a long way....

<sarcasm>Looks like the legal pursuit was well worth it</sarcasm>

280 > 0, so it does seem worth something. Holding companies accountable for their mistakes = justice. Its not perfect but it clearly was worth holding Tesla accountable for their deception (trust me when I say if Tesla didn't acknowledge they were in the wrong, they wouldn't be cutting checks, especially to worldwide owners).

• Informative
Reactions: kablammyman
280 > 0, so it does seem worth something. Holding companies accountable for their mistakes = justice. Its not perfect but it clearly was worth holding Tesla accountable for their deception (trust me when I say if Tesla didn't acknowledge they were in the wrong, they wouldn't be cutting checks, especially to worldwide owners).
I already liked your original post, so you don't need to defend your stance my friend :)

I too feel that communication goes a long way and would Tesla be a bit more upfront about what's up (or not up, after parting ways with Mobileye) it would probably do way better damage control than the payouts from the suit. 20-280 bucks is hardly a consolation for those who were really ticked off by Autopilot promises.

Reactions: croman
Definitely opting out to preserve some rights for the future.

The real issue is going to come a few years from now when Tesla admits that the current hardware version isn’t really FSD capable despite many people purchasing them based on that claim. That’s going to be way more than a few million...

No need to disclose trade secrets or anything but telling us they are working on X features and some thoughts on that development would go a long way towards building back customer goodwill

This. Being secretive about future products makes sense. Being secretive about something you already sold, and originally promised would be out well over a year ago doesn't. While there is quite a bit of frustration over just how long it's taking to get the all EAP features, I'd say there's far more just in that it's impossible for us to know whether things are coming in weeks, months or years.

Reactions: croman
As we get offered so little, who paid so much, any guess how many Millions of dollars the lawyer gets? Reminds me of the lawyers who file ADA claims so they get paid off lots of money but nothing to help the disabled who the law was supposed to protect.