Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why do you use FSD Beta?

Why do you use FSD Beta?

• Convenience, it makes driving easier.

Votes: 14 19.4%
  • Safety, it makes me a safer driver.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Masochism, I enjoy humiliating myself in public.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • Entertainment, it's fun!

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Altruism, I'm helping Tesla develop technology that will save lives.

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • Intellectual curiosity

Votes: 60 83.3%
  • TSLAQ, this is going to be what finally brings down TSLA.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sunk cost fallacy, I paid for it so I have to use it.

Votes: 11 15.3%
  • YouTube, I'm trying to become a Tesla influencer.

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to using non-FSD Autosteer on city streets, FSD Beta handles 95%+ of my disengagements/interventions previously required, e.g., making turns, continuing from stop, adjusting for shifted lanes, going around parked cars. The remaining 5% still contain those issues where FSD Beta 10.3.1 can still turn into oncoming traffic, needs confirmation to continue, requires disengagement to stay in the correct lane when going through an intersection, etc. There are some newly-introduced issues with FSD Beta such as going on a red light or creeping for too long, but at least for the latter, even before FSD Beta, I was quite used to pressing the accelerator to adjust Autopilot behavior.

I mainly use it to see the state of the technology (intellectual curiosity). It is somewhat like AutoPilot in that it is slightly more relaxing on drives on with no turns, but once you get to a turn I've got a fairly tight grip on the wheel.

My main gripe is that on suburban streets with no center line, it goes straight down the middle of the street. That's not a problem if the road is straight and it can see far down the road, but we've got several totally blind turns, where the car blitzes around the turn in the middle of the street at 25 mph. I always disengage before hitting a potential car coming the other way. I tap the Autopilot snapshot and also have sent in an email on the problem. Until this behavior is changed, I can't use FSD in the neighborhood. I'm surprised this is still a problem after a year of Beta testing.

My main gripe is that on suburban streets with no center line, it goes straight down the middle of the street. That's not a problem if the road is straight and it can see far down the road, but we've got several totally blind turns, where the car blitzes around the turn in the middle of the street at 25 mph. I always disengage before hitting a potential car coming the other way. I tap the Autopilot snapshot and also have sent in an email on the problem. Until this behavior is changed, I can't use FSD in the neighborhood. I'm surprised this is still a problem after a year of Beta testing.
This is not an easy problem to solve. There are a lot of considerations, including parked cars, how wide the road is etc.

My experience here is somewhat uneven - it seems to stick to right side of the (imaginary) center lane quite a bit - but strays into the middle a few times. I always disengage and send the report at those times.

This is not an easy problem to solve. There are a lot of considerations, including parked cars, how wide the road is etc.

My experience here is somewhat uneven - it seems to stick to right side of the (imaginary) center lane quite a bit - but strays into the middle a few times. I always disengage and send the report at those times.
I disagree. If the car can't see clearly X feet ahead, then it should stay on the right side of the road. It should also slow down. In my example, there were no parked cars on either side of the road. Even if there were, there is plenty of room to stay on the right side of the road AND avoid the parked cars.

I disagree. If the car can't see clearly X feet ahead, then it should stay on the right side of the road. It should also slow down. In my example, there were no parked cars on either side of the road. Even if there were, there is plenty of room to stay on the right side of the road AND avoid the parked cars.
So, you are saying in your case, it should stay on the right side. There are other cases where it should stay in the middle or even go to the left. Thats what makes it complicated.

Reactions: Daniel in SD
What profile are you using? For me, the car is butter-smooth when it slows at a light or stop sign (and restarts). One thing I have noticed is that the braking profile the car uses is related to how well the car can see/deduce the stop line .. if its uncertain it tends to stop early and then creep up to the line. If the line is well marked the car behaves much more like a human. So it might be the lines are poorly defined (or hard to see) in the cases you have seen.
Same

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I haven't had a single phantom braking with FSD! The car sometimes decides not to continue driving, which is wrong and weird, but it's not like it brakes out of nowhere. I thought it was a fixed issue with this stack. Can you explain more? Is your braking the same scenario as AP? Or something different?
Lucky, ever since they started this pure vision approach I’ve had to keep my foot next to the accelerator…

• Funny
I haven't had a single phantom braking with FSD! The car sometimes decides not to continue driving, which is wrong and weird, but it's not like it brakes out of nowhere. I thought it was a fixed issue with this stack. Can you explain more? Is your braking the same scenario as AP? Or something different?

Basically downhill on a road I use all the time. Never happened on AP.

Reactions: helvio
The most annoying parts to me are:

1) driving too close to the yellow line
2) using it without a destination doesn't just drive straight, sometimes it will try to turn left or right for no reason. I was hoping to be able to use it without a destination and do the turns myself

Other than that I'm enjoying being part of this...

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS

I think your definition of phantom braking is different because there is absolutely no way you have zero phantom braking.

The phantom braking that I think most of are talking about is the 3mph (approx) slow down that randomly occurs.

Now it also has cases where sometimes it decides to just slow down way short of where it needs to go, but that's something entirely different.

One thing I noticed was the phantom braking decreased after re-calibrating my cameras. I was having a lot of weird issues with it, and I wanted to see if that it improved it. It did seem to improve it significantly. It makes sense as its been a long time since my cameras were calibrated by the SW.

The most annoying parts to me are:

1) driving too close to the yellow line
2) using it without a destination doesn't just drive straight, sometimes it will try to turn left or right for no reason. I was hoping to be able to use it without a destination and do the turns myself

Other than that I'm enjoying being part of this...

ugh, that sucks. So far I've been able to remove the destination to avoid having it take the dumb way, and then select the destination after going past the dumb way road.

So far its worked, but it sucks that its not the case all the time.

I'm not sure most of us really even know why we're doing this or why we even did the whole safety score thing.

Using it actually makes me hostile to the point where I'm like "why do you even exist" to the person driving the car behind me. Now it's not that I seriously think that, but I swear the universe refuses to allow me to go on any drive without a car behind me.

Not having someone behind me is key to being able to test it as they have the perfect vantage point to see how dumb it is.

Where I'm like "oh, you almost have this corner if you can just hold on a little longer". Then there is the abrupt 3mph or so phantom braking.

For a tiny amount of time I was sending Tesla detailed emails about each snapshot, but no human ever responded. So now I'm just screw it and I'll just hit the snapshot button for anything screw up, and they can figure it out.

It's so screwy they should have a much bigger button.

I'm also absolutely sick of canceling FSD with the steering wheel and having TACC still going. That was okay for AP on the freeway, but not for FSD city streets. Tesla doesn't really seem to understand the concept of a TAKE OVER EVENT. That it's done something dumb and we're taking over with the most immediate action available to us.

• Funny
Every time I use FSD Beta I think about this statement.
So I was out testing again today .. not ideal conditions, sun was low and it was drizzling with rain. Yet the car pulled up smoothly to a red light, and waited. When the light turned green it moved forward as usual, but instead of the usual acceleration, it only moved up to maybe 18mph (in a 25 mph downtown zone). Then I realized, it was looking ahead maybe 2 blocks where traffic was already stopped at the next red light. It smoothly moved up behind the last car, slowing to a gentle stop.

Now, I'm not saying its always like that .. it made a complete pigs ear of a roundabout a few minutes later (it made it through, but you'd have thought it was being forced to its death). I think it's going to be very interesting over the coming months as the stack evolves.

Good poll choices, but I'm split across "Entertainment", "Intellectual Curiosity" and "Sunk Cost Fallacy". I don't use it when other cars are around me as it behaves erratically (stopping well short of a stop sign, inching forward, followed by a jerky turn).

Yet the car pulled up smoothly to a red light,
I definitely want to see unedited video of several of these smooth stops in a row with no lead car, with careful analysis of the deceleration profile. It’s definitely a thing for me where the car uses regen at ~0.15g down to 25mph, then reduces it to ~0.05g, then brings it down to 5mph at ~0.2g, or similar profile. And then sometimes uses the brakes to bring the car to a halt! Insane.

This also actually occurs with lead cars if they are far enough ahead.

Definitely does not making driving more convenient!