Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla install old software updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to teslafi some cars are still receiving the 2018.50.6 update as of today.
This despite the update being about 3 months old and many newer updates have been released. AP level doesn't appear to be a factor.
What gives?

I haven't received an update myself for my MX AP1 since 15-Feb-2019 when I received 2018.50.6 4ec03ed.
The car was in for some minor service the following month but wasn't given an upgrade which used to be standard.
I guess I shouldn't complain since others are just now getting my current update.

Could be a couple things. Maybe they had the update staged in their car for a while and just got around to installing in (ie. it was at their 2nd home and they were at their 1st home, or whatever the situation).

Or there could be scenarios where there you must first go to a intermediate release and then you get to go to the latest. i.e. release 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 --- owner has 3 and but in order to get to 6 there are pre-requisites changes in 4. It is not always practical to let users go from *any* old release to the most curr release without going to an intermediate. There could be conversions of files or something that need to happen and a user *skipped* too many releases.