Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Tesla suspension suck so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've leased an Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Acrua and now a Tesla in the last 12+ years. Without question the smoothest drive is the Tesla. Unless you're driving over rumble nonstop, a little bit of rumble doesn't mean much. And I drive in Washington DC where the roads are horrific.

Nothing to do with being a fanboy or whatever idiotic terms kids make up these days. I compare from actual experience. I've leased five $50k cars for well over a decade.

Also, the arrogance of people who think others who disagree on preferences must be wrong. Reflects today's egocentric society.

EDIT: I welcome the downvote 'glide', as you are exactly the type of person who doesn't realize your opinion is just that - an opinion.

Last edited:
I've leased an Audi, Lexus, Infiniti, Acrua and now a Tesla in the last 12+ years. Without question the smoothest drive is the Tesla. Unless you're driving over rumble nonstop, a little bit of rumble doesn't mean much. And I drive in Washington DC where the roads are horrific.

Nothing to do with being a fanboy or whatever idiotic terms kids make up these days. I compare from actual experience. I've leased five $50k cars for well over a decade.
How much is Tesla paying you to post this?

No one, and I mean no one, thinks a Model Y has a smoother ride than any Lexus out there. I recognize ride quality is somewhat subjective but this is just a flat out lie.

How much is Tesla paying you to post this?

No one, and I mean no one, thinks a Model Y has a smoother ride than any Lexus out there. I recognize ride quality is somewhat subjective but this is just a flat out lie.
There is no point in engaging a discussion with you, as it's clear you don't care about other's opinions. You want to scream your opinion and assume it's fact.

How many $50k cars have you driven in the last 12 years? I've leased enough cars just within 1.5 decades to judge what a smooth drive is. I've been driving for over 30 years. I don't give two cents about what other people think - unlike you. Go ahead and post your egocentric opinions so you can argue, as it's really the main goal of your posts here.

I'll add one final point: If 'suspension' and a 'smooth drive' are a priority for you, don't purchase a vehicle that doesn't have what you want. You chose to drive a Tesla. Either deal with it or buy something else.

I came from a model 3 for two years and now in a genesis gv70 sport prestige. Im considering buying a myp and agree the suspension sucks. Between that and the phantom braking im not sure I will go for it. I love my gv70, I just wish it were electric or a hybrid at least. I feel like Tesla went as cheap as they could get away with on the my.

Before the tesla I had three audis, four cadillacs, a couple saabs, buick, and a bunch of other cars. Lots of luxury and sporty cars. The suspension on the y is pretty damn rough. I think most people disagree because tesla seems to attract owners from entry level brands/cars. Im going to take one for a test drive again today to make up my mind.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi
I came from a model 3 for two years and now in a genesis gv70 sport prestige. Im considering buying a myp and agree the suspension sucks. Between that and the phantom braking im not sure I will go for it. I love my gv70, I just wish it were electric or a hybrid at least. I feel like Tesla went as cheap as they could get away with on the my.

Before the tesla I had three audis, four cadillacs, a couple saabs, buick, and a bunch of other cars. Lots of luxury and sporty cars. The suspension on the y is pretty damn rough. I think most people disagree because tesla seems to attract owners from entry level brands/cars. Im going to take one for a test drive again today to make up my mind.
60k car attracts entry level cars buyers.. mmmm okey

• Disagree
Reactions: bpobill
My two cents. If you want car to have a good handling parameters it will have stiffer suspension. Fact. If you want drive softer, boat like car buy X/S or any other car that have soft suspension. What is the point to argue about personal preferences?

60k car attracts entry level cars buyers.. mmmm okey
Let me copy/paste what I wrote to better help you comprehend.

I think most people disagree because tesla seems to attract owners from entry level brands/cars

I didnt say they were entry level buyers. I said they attracted buyers from entry level brands. People buy cars similar to how they buy houses. Start off cheap and move their way up as their financial situation improves.

Did that help you out? Anything else I can clarify for you? I know reading can be a challenge for some.

My two cents. If you want car to have a good handling parameters it will have stiffer suspension. Fact. If you want drive softer, boat like car buy X/S or any other car that have soft suspension. What is the point to argue about personal preferences?
My GV70 handles really well and the ride is 10 levels above the Y. I think you are missing the point. There is tech out there to give you a nice ride and still be a good handling car. On my gv70 there is a camera in front that monitors the road and adjusts the suspension to help with bumps and other defects. Price of my gv70? Same as a MYP. Tesla went bare bones on the 3 and especially the y. Its a very firm ride and does not handle road defects well at all. Not to mention the cheap interior rattling around doesnt help either. You can have a good handler car thats firmer but can soak up bumps.

Tesla cars are like a 10 year old kia with electric motors and a big battery. No luxury in any regard. This isnt their fault, but the fault of people that buy them that assume otherwise. Tesla made a product and its selling extremely well so what they are doing works. Im not faulting them for it.

Let me copy/paste what I wrote to better help you comprehend.

I didnt say they were entry level buyers. I said they attracted buyers from entry level brands. People buy cars similar to how they buy houses. Start off cheap and move their way up as their financial situation improves.

Did that help you out? Anything else I can clarify for you? I know reading can be a challenge for some.
Don’t know where you get your info regarding who buys what. I had couple of Audi before I went for Tesla. And I am happy with my choice and will never buy Audi or VW anything like ever since their cheating scandal.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Don’t know where you get your info regarding who buys what. I had couple of Audi before I went for Tesla. And I am happy with my choice and will never buy Audi or VW anything like ever since their cheating scandal.
I stopped buying before the cheating scandal. I’ve had several VWs and an Audi, and the quality just isn’t there. Had to have a Passat bought back under lemon law.

• Informative
I was an Audi fan boy for many years until they denied warranty for the engine replacement on the well known 2.0T oil consumption issue. The same class action lawsuit in the U.S.

I just need to spread the word on bad business practice on behalf of AUDI & VW on this oil consumption problem and how they neglect consumers a fair solution after sending out warranty extensions on this issue knowing they F*#ked up.

Same bad business practice as dieselgate.... I hate this company for it and will spread the word like gospel!

• Informative

Also you have to consider the weight of the car... to get a heavy car like the Y or even the 3 to handle well without spending a fortune you have to make compromises... the most common compromise is sacrificing ride compliance for handling. If you have a larger budget you can get a good ride with good handling. The drivetrain on the Model Y is still more expensive than the drivetrain on an ICE car of similar size and shape, so cost savings elsewhere are needed...

There are many things I didn't like about the MYP, and I have solved most of them with aftermarket solutions, this spring that will include a set of light weight 18" wheels with summer only tires and a good aftermarket coilover suspension system.

Keith

Last edited:
Weird flex…
Saying the Tesla Model Y's are so popular that there is a waiting list almost a year long... they literally don't have to fix ANYTHING or bring up their equipment level at all for the next 5 years to sell every car they produce. Personally I wish they were a bit less popular so they would be more likely to fix these issues. Until real competition kicks in over the next few years Tesla will not provide things that are common on other cars because they don't have to.

Keith

Reactions: Undecided_2
The suspension issue for the Model Y is not the first time that a Tesla vehicle had a problem with the suspension. Though the suspension failure occurs with greater frequency for older models. However, suspension failure is a serious issue, for it can have a detrimental effect on vehicle safety. While problems often arise for relatively new models, it’s surprising that Tesla didn’t get something as basic as a suspension to function properly.
I have not seen anyone mention suspension failure in this entire thread... it is focused on complaints about ride compliance.

Keith