Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does The Delivery Process Suck So Much?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Spend $75k on a Benz, Porsche, Audi, or BMW and you're an honored customer. Spend $75k on a Tesla and they can't rid of you fast enough.

My wife's new Model S delivered with paint chips [fixed before delivery] actual miles on it because they had to drive it from Los Angeles to the delivery location [NOT our home but a Tesla location in SoCal] and she did not get a copy of any paperwork at delivery - not offered so much as a bottle of water.

Once BMW/Benz etal start actually having decent ev's for sale - I don't want to see what happens to Tesla sales.

There is an excuse literally for EVERYTHING that goes wrong. They change a trade in price when you arrive with ZERO excuses - we had to walk out to get them to honor a price they gave us YESTERDAY. Have an appointment? Oh well, you're waiting until we can get to you. ZERO time or effort spent with the customer to set the car up. My wife takes photos of her settings so she can sit in the parking lot to set the car up.

The customer service for a customer and not a fanboy is just absymal. Wife had a 2017 75D that was replaced with a 2021 100D essentially [whatever they call it!] that they lowered the price - basically only for more range and so she could get the car pool sticker til we move out of California - but thats another tale.
I’m currently dealing with similar issues. Tesla contacted me and told me my car was ready, so I had a few days to get my payment in and get the car insured, or I’d lose the car and my place in line. So, I hurried and made payment, got the car insured, and went to the appointment Tesla set, only no car.

The next appointment they set also came and went with no car. So did the next one. Then, they call and try to pawn off a different colored car on me. When I refused, they told me they’d sell my VIN number to someone else and I’d have to wait for a new car to be built, even though they have already taken my money and that VIN is tied to my loan as collateral.

Because of Tesla’s delay and selling my VIN out from under me, my bank is threatening to cancel the loan and make me reapply at their new higher rate, which will add $4k to $5k to my loan.

At the moment, I have no car, no ETA, and zero support from Tesla. Not only does their customer service suck, but my experience feels like borderline fraud.

They sell every car they can make with the current price, level of customer service, and production quality. Clearly, since they have waiting lists for their cars, they need to lower one or more of these corporate metrics to increase their profits. Even if they could lower costs and increase their customer experience through better organization and efficiency, that would require management attention and possibly capital expenditures.

As it is, Tesla isn't maximizing the return for their stockholders.
I just looked at inventory and there were 47 new plaid model S available within 200 miles of zip code. That’s a lot of unsold high end cars. Probably delivery rejects because of quality issues.

I just looked at inventory and there were 47 new plaid model S available within 200 miles of zip code. That’s a lot of unsold high end cars. Probably delivery rejects because of quality issues.
Anecdotal, but on my commute home a couple days ago I passed a white Model S Plaid. The fit and finish on the rear hatch was HORRENDOUS! Like I had to do a double take because I thought maybe the way the sunlight was reflecting it was distorting my view, but nope, the panel gaps were just THAT bad.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot