Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why FSD will never fully work on current cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've used it for thousands of miles on both that, and heavily congested, sometimes bumper to bumper, freeways.

And it's been almost universally fantastic and a huge destresser that made by daily drive 10,000 percent better.

it's literally the reason I bought a Tesla.

So YMMV I guess.

I agree - 100%!!

BUT, I am becoming more and more impatient waiting for Elon's promised improvements and FSD in particular.

However, if Elon's recent comments during his interview with Kathy Woods (Arc Investments) are realized, I will continue as super Tesla fan and serious TSLA investor.

BUT, I am becoming more and more impatient waiting for Elon's promised improvements and FSD in particular.
This is really the crux of the issue. I get that Elon drums up excitement by making promises of new exciting technology for the future, and there is a large base of owners who understand that Elon's promises tend to get...delayed, and accept that. But this understanding of the Elon psychology is not picked up by the market at large and can causes PR issues.

IMO he needs to dial down the wild promises, now that Tesla is becoming a more mature, mainstream company. That's possible, and still successfully push the "sustainability" agenda.

Reactions: aronth5
I find EAP works best where you least need it. Open highway, low traffic. When things get harry it time to take back the wheel.

What is frustrating is it is so close to being useful in grid lock, but it stays too far back from the car in front of it and then when traffic starts up takes too long to respond. I am sure they will get this sorted out though, and get the car to move more naturally in stop and go traffic.

When they are fixing this they should also add the ability to turn on EAP/AP when you are stopped in traffic.

Reactions: GeoX750
FWIW the "coming later this year" on the current FSD description page is the first time any actual date has been attached to any FSD-only feature
I find EAP works best where you least need it. Open highway, low traffic. When things get harry it time to take back the wheel.

What is frustrating is it is so close to being useful in grid lock, but it stays too far back from the car in front of it and then when traffic starts up takes too long to respond. I am sure they will get this sorted out though, and get the car to move more naturally in stop and go traffic.

When they are fixing this they should also add the ability to turn on EAP/AP when you are stopped in traffic.

I think maybe there's something wrong with your car.

I can turn it on just fine stopped in traffic.

Model 3 Owners Manual said:
If a vehicle is detected ahead of you, you can initiate Autosteer at any speed under 90 mph (150 km/h), even when stationary (if you are at least 5 feet (150 cm) away from the vehicle).

And you can adjust follow distance, set it down to 1 and it follows as close as is safe to do.

Last edited:
FWIW the "coming later this year" on the current FSD description page is the first time any actual date has been attached to any FSD-only feature

Which is why I am a bit more optimistic about "FSD" features than before. Musk's tweets are not reliable but now, for the first time, we have the actual sales page, which is official, actually giving us a timeline for specific features. So I think Tesla is more confident now that these features can roll out on that timeline. It's why I made the jump to buy FSD (that and the super low $2000 price tag).

And you can adjust follow distance, set it down to 1 and it follows as close as is safe to do.

Maybe there is then. It won’t let me turn on AP unless i am moving when standing still it does not come up as an option. Am I the only one?

In my world one car length means I am not close enough to the car in front when fully stopped. When the traffic moves again as the Tesla takes a second to respond the gap opens to two cars or more and other cars slide in in front of me.

I agree, stop and go traffic on the highway is one of my favorite uses of AP.

Humans can (mostly) deal with the odd an unexpected - computers, not so much.
It's a good thing nothing odd or unexpected can happen while driving a car! :p
My point is that if you can make an autonomous vehicle that works far better than a human driver then you can deal with obstructed cameras.
Keep in mind that humans in the US go about 400k miles between accidents (police reported).

I guess it depends on the what got blocked. I am just thinking if the car is effectively blind on one side pulling over could be a challenge for it.

Funny enough I had a large bird crap on my car at stop light. It missed the pillar camera but was close to it. Something silly like that could blind an autonomous car - making the whole regulating them thing a challenge. Humans can (mostly) deal with the odd an unexpected - computers, not so much.

Maybe I am wrong about how blind the car is with one camera blocked. Today I placed some tape on one side camera. I got the warning the there was an issue with AP, BUT it was still an option to turn on AP. From what I could tell the car was still able to stay within its lane etc.. My hands stayed on the wheel the entire time despite turning AP on.

From the manual the following things can render AP or FSD unusable:

Limitations

Many factors can impact the performance of Autopilot components, causing them to be unable to function as intended. These include (but are not limited to):

• Poor visibility (due to heavy rain, snow, fog, etc.).

Bright light (due to oncoming headlights, direct sunlight, etc.).

• Damage or obstructions caused by mud, ice, snow, etc.

• Interference or obstruction by object(s) mounted onto the vehicle (such as a bike rack).

• Obstruction caused by applying excessive paint or adhesive products (such as wraps, stickers, rubber coating, etc.) onto the vehicle.

• Narrow or winding roads.
• A damaged or misaligned bumper.
• Interference from other equipment that generates ultrasonic waves.
• Extremely hot or cold temperatures.

The bright light one is obviously a huge concern if they hope to have the cars truly drive themselves

Last edited:

Couple of thoughts here:
For stop and go traffic, set the following distance to 1, then gently use the accelerator when the car in front of you starts to move. That cuts down on the gap.

As for turning EAP on when stopped, engage the hold feature (firm brake push), remove your foot from the brake, then engage EAP. Wo

• Informative
Reactions: TEG

According to the owners manual TACC can not be turned on unless you are traveling 18mph
Couple of thoughts here:
For stop and go traffic, set the following distance to 1, then gently use the accelerator when the car in front of you starts to move. That cuts down on the gap.

As for turning EAP on when stopped, engage the hold feature (firm brake push), remove your foot from the brake, then engage EAP. Wo

The part about using the accelerator kinds of defeats the purpose of letting the car drive itself, but it is a work around.

As for engaugine AP. Apparently in the mana if you are driving under 18mph it will not enguage UNLESS you are behind someone (more than 5ft) and you foot is not on the brake.

So I have something to try out.

According to the owners manual TACC can not be turned on unless you are traveling 18mph

That's not correct.

Model 3 owners manual said:
To use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, you must be driving at least 18 mph (30 km/h), unless a vehicle is detected ahead of you. If a vehicle is detected ahead of you, you can use TrafficAware Cruise Control at any speed, even when stationary, provided Model 3 is at least 5 feet (150 cm) behind the detected vehicle

Bold added for emphasis