Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I’m tired of hearing from impatient whingers about Model 3 wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is it that people think Model 3 production should be instantaneous and that 450,000 reservations is a number that somehow doesn’t affect them?

So I have just finished reading an article in a local online rag about the Hyundai Kona EV. As usual the Comnents section is either full of folks hating on EVs or saying how this is yet-another “Tesla killer”.

There were also a number of comments from disillusioned Model 3 reservation holders saying how Hyundai had already accepted their Kona order and how 400km range is so much better than what Model 3 can manage?

Now in the world of alternative facts I realise that many people choose to believe whatever they like, regardless of reality. But in what universe is a small CUV econobox better value for money than a larger sporty sedan?

How do people fool themselves into thinking that Hyundai producing 20,000 EVs is somehow more than 250,000 Model 3s? If we all switch to Kona then do you think Hyundai can meet all of our orders....um, no. Ask the Norwegians or the Brits about this and Ioniq.

Can Tesla, who produced 100,000 EVs in 2017 suddenly quadruple production and make 400,000 in 2018? Um, no - hence the so-called Tesla cash burn.

So to the doubters and whingers I say - grow up, look at the math, understand that 2019/20 was *always* when RHD Model 3 would be delivered, and more fool you if you think paying $75,000 for Kona is a better buy than either LR or SR Model 3....and thank you for making the delivery of my Model 3 a little faster!

Good things take time and great things are worth the wait.

Last edited:
I'm just tired of staring at this view for weeks now..
Screenshot_20180809-234833~2.png

AU reservation holders have had zero updates in the 2 years plus since day one reservations. That is if you ignore the multiple emails suggesting you buy a model S instead.

The one bit of communication for me was to change the estimated delivery time from early 2019 to just 2019. Elon Time...:wink:

And that day one reservation will mean nothing at the end of the day. But i would love to be wrong on that...

Some fellow on another forum waited 721 days IIRC for his Tesla, I’m expecting to wait at least 1248 days before I could possibly take delivery, so I feel it will be a testament to my enduring patience; I’m thinking a small badge or t-shirt is in order for the big day, so I at least have that going for me :)

edit: I had 883 days because I entered the wrong year in the calculator

Last edited:
I agree the lack of any updates is frustrating but what could they update us on? The dates won’t change so there’s no news. They could maybe hold an annual reservation holder BBQ or Picnic though to keep us all interested.
News just in though is an invite to see a Model 3 live at Chadstone on the 21st. So at least we get to sit in and play with a Left hand drive one.

Yes so frustrating not to have updates that simply will say there are no updates.......at no point was ever promised my car prior to this year. I have looked at all the information on Model 3 and no where does it indicate we would have it before 2019. I have seen the Ioniq at the Brisbane show yesterday and it is a standard car and has nothing that will make me change my Model 3 order. The other manufacturers can't keep up with demand. Tesla has the Gigafactory, they have the advantage for now.

Yes so frustrating not to have updates that simply will say there are no updates.......at no point was ever promised my car prior to this year. I have looked at all the information on Model 3 and no where does it indicate we would have it before 2019. I have seen the Ioniq at the Brisbane show yesterday and it is a standard car and has nothing that will make me change my Model 3 order. The other manufacturers can't keep up with demand. Tesla has the Gigafactory, they have the advantage for now.

Elon first mentioned summer 2017 in March last year but that changed to be Mid 2018 earlier this year.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Id rather wait and drive my old nugget Subaru than spend money on a Hyundies. $75k for a Samsung/LG EV, serious?

That aside, I'll probably wait longer for the Model Y, I'd prefer a CUV over a sedan.

If money holds more value to you than local air pollution and the enviroment in general why are you driving a Subaru rather than a cheaper and more reliable petrol car?

$75k is Kiwi price, long range Kona will be closer to $55k in Australia.

If money holds more value to you than local air pollution and the enviroment in general why are you driving a Subaru rather than a cheaper and more reliable petrol car?

$75k is Kiwi price, long range Kona will be closer to $55k in Australia.
I vote but masses keep coal loving idiots running our country. Honestly if you are so concerned with air pollution why do you have a EV? You, know how our power is generated right? Bus or train would be getter answer there, sorry no weetabix for you.

And Nope, my car is reliable 400HP and it shoots fire under boost at high RPM, the way I like it. Not going to keep buying cars like Iphones and claim that I'm environmentally friendly, thats hippy hipocracy. Honestly I would rather use a pushbike as daily if it wasn't suicide riding one in Sydney.

$55K for a LG car, yeah no thanks

I vote but masses keep coal loving idiots running our country. Honestly if you are so concerned with air pollution why do you have a EV? You, know how our power is generated right? Bus or train would be getter answer there, sorry no weetabix for you.

And Nope, my car is reliable 400HP and it shoots fire under boost at high RPM, the way I like it. Not going to keep buying cars like Iphones and claim that I'm environmentally friendly, thats hippy hipocracy. Honestly I would rather use a pushbike as daily if it wasn't suicide riding one in Sydney.

$55K for a LG car, yeah no thanks

I power my EV from solar like most owners in this country, it makes financial sense, but considering you're on the subject of coal, WA is now running below 50% coal generation and without doubt that will be zero within 3 years due to the financial instability in the local sector, but even if I was charging from 100% coal power my car would still be less polluting than a 4 cylinder petrol car, only the gullible that listen to Craig Kelly would believe otherwise.

Yes but that’s “Elon Time” not “Real Time”. ‍♀️

Yes I didn’t say it was realistic, I was just correcting that 2018 had been stated as a target, although I added a typo as should have said ‘mid 2019’ earlier this year. I have been waiting for a 3 for more than 10 years (orig master plan) and also followed SpaceX before Tesla so I have seen a little Elon time;)

I power my EV from solar like most owners in this country, it makes financial sense, but considering you're on the subject of coal, WA is now running below 50% coal generation and without doubt that will be zero within 3 years due to the financial instability in the local sector, but even if I was charging from 100% coal power my car would still be less polluting than a 4 cylinder petrol car, only the gullible that listen to Craig Kelly would believe otherwise.
Nice that's what i like to do as well. I don't think most do that in this country btw Takes money to do that in WA, work in mining I guess.

WA has a renewable energy plan?