Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why I was wrong to hate FSD at first, and what I learned (Driver Error)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Plood

Plood, not Plaid?
Feb 12, 2022
Plano, TX
I just got FSD beta this week. And I hated it from the start. It seemed to fail every time it needed to take a turn. started turning, then rolled straight into the intersection. And kept driving. It happened more and more, as I lost trust.

Then I figured it out. I was resisting the turning steering wheel slightly, and it was disconnecting the FSD (going to cruise control,. meaning it drives without steering, thus wandering aimless ahead). The force needed to disconnect seems to be less than I assumed compared to the perceived force to prove hands on wheel in AP. Also, the wheels has some faster or jerkier movements that one might expect initially so that tempts an operator to "slow it down" or "rein it in" to be more careful and in control.
So, if any new to FSD have trouble at the beginning, try "letting go" when it takes a turn.

Reactions: Dewg
I just got FSD beta this week. And I hated it from the start. It seemed to fail every time it needed to take a turn. started turning, then rolled straight into the intersection. And kept driving. It happened more and more, as I lost trust.

Then I figured it out. I was resisting the turning steering wheel slightly, and it was disconnecting the FSD (going to cruise control,. meaning it drives without steering, thus wandering aimless ahead). The force needed to disconnect seems to be less than I assumed compared to the perceived force to prove hands on wheel in AP. Also, the wheels has some faster or jerkier movements that one might expect initially so that tempts an operator to "slow it down" or "rein it in" to be more careful and in control.
So, if any new to FSD have trouble at the beginning, try "letting go" when it takes a turn.
Trust the Force, Luke

Reactions: Plood