Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla building Model 3 “inventory” cars?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If Tesla has 100,000’s of orders for model 3’s, why are they building and incentivizing inventory cars. If I was someone who ordered a vehicle I’d be pretty upset.

Tesla has apparently made a lot of inventory cars unmatched to custom orders that the automaker is now trying to move by the end of the quarter.

Reactions: fallen888
If Tesla has 100,000’s of orders for model 3’s, why are they building and incentivizing inventory cars. If I was someone who ordered a vehicle I’d be pretty upset.

Tesla has apparently made a lot of inventory cars unmatched to custom orders that the automaker is now trying to move by the end of the quarter.

I suspect they are parts constrained on some key part or parts for the AWD versions. So they need to keep the assembly lines full in the meantime. If that means producing extra RWD models then so be it. They won’t have a hard time finding buyers I don’t think.

You have capacity to build XX cars in the final 7-10 days of the Q.

But you can't get them in the hands of anyone outside of YY miles from the factory.

If you want to boost deliveries, build something you think people will buy and see what happens.

Yes, we would prefer they build cars for people who have been waiting for 2 years, but what can you do.

The supercharging was originally meant only for trips, not everyday use and should have had a yearly limit in the first place so cabs and cross country limos didn't abuse it. Tesla figured adding $500 to the purchase price would cover it for the life of the car. They were off 2 to 1 as it should have been $1000. They failed to understand how penurious some owners of $100k cars would be.

Reactions: pilotSteve
The supercharging was originally meant only for trips, not everyday use and should have had a yearly limit in the first place so cabs and cross country limos didn't abuse it. Tesla figured adding $500 to the purchase price would cover it for the life of the car. They were off 2 to 1 as it should have been $1000. They failed to understand how penurious some owners of $100k cars would be.

Yes. There should be a amount limit, like 1000kw a year. And distance restriction from your registered address. Only get to use the free credits if you’re 100 miles away from your registered home address. Otherwise pay per use.

Damn Tesla. Who’s running your supercharging department? I need to be hired as a consultant.

4 probable possibilities.

1.) Shortage on parts for AWD / P.
Build RWD or let line be idle.

2.) Parts exist for AWD / P but RWD can be built at a higher ratio to meet production guidance.

3.) Margin is higher on a higher cluster of RWD sales vs a smaller cluster of AWD sales.

4.) RWD still made to order but extra is made due to batch production for more efficient yields.