Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla failing to deliver referral awards?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Missile Toad

MSLR Wht/Blk/19 | OD 6/10/21 | RN11512
Aug 30, 2016
30.04, -95.16
So, my wife picked up her Model X on June 23, and Tesla staff told me they would promptly send the referral Wall Connector (which we previously arranged to be the standard Gen2 WC w/ 22' cable) on Monday August 23. We scheduled an installer for late next week, figuring it would be delivered on Monday or Tuesday, next week at the latest. Now their staff is telling me that they haven't sent the WC and they have no idea when they will. Is this some weird new policy for Tesla to stall delivering on their promises so they can be 'profitable'?

They've widely acknowledged that they haven't finished the initial build of the 'signature' WCs... so, they admitted that they could deliver the normal metallic finish WCs weeks ago... So they are deliberately with-holding the WC for me, and I suspect for others... just to suit their accountants? I really hope they are not bankrupt.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Of course Plan C would be to pay Tesla money to do that which they are obligated, already, to do. Anybody got a Wall Connector, that I could 'borrow' for 1-6 months. P.S. If you give me a shiny silver one, It might turn black and get Elon's name added to it.. you know, the usual wear and tear. We'll call it The Tesla Wall Connector Loaner Program. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Tastee and S5S5G6
The lesson is: Don't make any plans for referral awards (wall chargers, wheels, radio-flyers, etc) until you've actually received them. Nobody at Tesla, especially anyone outside of the referral program team, can tell you when anything will ship out. They do eventually ship out most awards, but it could be weeks, months, or years. So you just have to wait it out.

Well, the Ownership Loyalty Advisor left a message 40 minutes ago telling me that they _did_ ship the Wall Connector on Wednesday (strange that he didn't know about it when I called this afternoon). Now, his 'party line' is he doesn't know the 'tracking number' but he'll get that to me when he can. Sounds fishy, but as @prash pointed out above -- the program is poorly run. I learn new things every day.

Turns out I fretted a lot about nothing. Friday, Tesla says its been shipped, but they have no ETA. Monday, I call, and they say, "Yes it will be delivered today". Five minutes later, my wife calls and tells me it arrived. So, they can predict the future, as long as its five minutes into the future! Woo hoo!

OK, I'm being silly now. Long story short, installer put it in today, and it functions magically -- complete with an Elon Musk signature... but alas, no cow bell (maybe and aftermarket add on?).

• Funny
Reactions: S5S5G6 and ModelX
So, my wife picked up her Model X on June 23, and Tesla staff told me they would promptly send the referral Wall Connector (which we previously arranged to be the standard Gen2 WC w/ 22' cable) on Monday August 23. We scheduled an installer for late next week, figuring it would be delivered on Monday or Tuesday, next week at the latest. Now their staff is telling me that they haven't sent the WC and they have no idea when they will. Is this some weird new policy for Tesla to stall delivering on their promises so they can be 'profitable'?

They've widely acknowledged that they haven't finished the initial build of the 'signature' WCs... so, they admitted that they could deliver the normal metallic finish WCs weeks ago... So they are deliberately with-holding the WC for me, and I suspect for others... just to suit their accountants? I really hope they are not bankrupt.

They have $2.2B in cash. They're not withholding deliveries to save $500.

Reactions: rfmurphy81
The lesson is: Don't make any plans for referral awards (wall chargers, wheels, radio-flyers, etc) until you've actually received them. Nobody at Tesla, especially anyone outside of the referral program team, can tell you when anything will ship out. They do eventually ship out most awards, but it could be weeks, months, or years. So you just have to wait it out.
The issue here is primarily that they've been backordered for so long. It would be wise to never make specific plans that can't be changed for backordered items from any company, regardless of whether you purchased them or got them as a referral reward.

Reactions: Missile Toad
Does anyone here know how to convert a referral award (Powerwall) into a credit towards a vehicle purchase? I emailed their customer support about this but it was shot down immediately.
They have no idea what to do. They don't have the powerwalls in stock and it will probably be another year before they have any for the awards. I expect they will get sued at some point.