Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is Tesla service department (SD) customer service so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently submitted a service request to repair air bubbles on my MX instrument panel (in front of steering wheel) through the Tesla app. The mobile service date and time were confirmed. I received a “cost estimate” invoice of $1,460.00 that needed to be signed and agreed before moving forward. I messaged SD back asking why they are charging me and shouldn’t this be covered under warranty? They told me it’s “cosmetic” and will NOT be covered under warranty. I informed them they recently replaced my center touch screen for the same issue and it was covered under warranty. They were FIRM on NOT covered under warranty.
This isn’t the first time i’ve had issues with SD. Two weeks after receiving my car the front control arm cracked. Tesla dispatched a tow truck. I was charged for the tow and I had to fight to get reimbursed.
In April, my 12v battery needed to be replaced. At the time my warranty somehow disappeared so I paid out of pocket, again. The warranty was later reinstated after contacting the Sales Dept. and I was reimbursed.
Is it that hard for SD to do some background research into the vehicle and its warranty? I honestly don’t have time to deal with this every time I have “warranty service” done on the vehicle.
Because of my terrible experiences with Tesla’s customer service, I opted to install 30 solar panels on my house with a local company. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always believed in Tesla and have been a long term share holder since around 2012. It’s just been a very difficult love hate relationship with them.

Attachments

• IMG_3862.jpg
    IMG_3862.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_3863.jpg
    IMG_3863.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 167
Wow, you got Tesla to respond to you? I go months without a real person!

I recently submitted a service request to repair air bubbles on my MX instrument panel (in front of steering wheel) through the Tesla app. The mobile service date and time were confirmed. I received a “cost estimate” invoice of $1,460.00 that needed to be signed and agreed before moving forward. I messaged SD back asking why they are charging me and shouldn’t this be covered under warranty? They told me it’s “cosmetic” and will NOT be covered under warranty. I informed them they recently replaced my center touch screen for the same issue and it was covered under warranty. They were FIRM on NOT covered under warranty.
This isn’t the first time i’ve had issues with SD. Two weeks after receiving my car the front control arm cracked. Tesla dispatched a tow truck. I was charged for the tow and I had to fight to get reimbursed.
In April, my 12v battery needed to be replaced. At the time my warranty somehow disappeared so I paid out of pocket, again. The warranty was later reinstated after contacting the Sales Dept. and I was reimbursed.
Is it that hard for SD to do some background research into the vehicle and its warranty? I honestly don’t have time to deal with this every time I have “warranty service” done on the vehicle.
Because of my terrible experiences with Tesla’s customer service, I opted to install 30 solar panels on my house with a local company. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always believed in Tesla and have been a long term share holder since around 2012. It’s just been a very difficult love hate relationship with them.
They always quote retail in their estimates. Determination for warranty or not, is made after the work is complete, or at least until after they actually see the car.

Not 100% sure, but I assume SD means San Diego.
That makes more sense than South Dakota on so many levels (I've been thinking "does someone really think there will only ever be one service center in their state" each time I look at this thread). It's an obvious guess in hindsight. I'd venture a guess that your ability to combine contextual clues and associable geographical knowledge is above average.

Both of my Model S screens had screen bubbles. The center screen, iirc, was covered under warranty. I think my dash screen happened after warranty expired, so I had to pay for it, so not sure if that would have been covered under warranty or not.

It's one of those things that is on the edge of whether or not Tesla should have to cover it under full warranty; I think they should, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to disagree. But it's not a normal touchscreen issue; frankly, I've never seen this issue, ever, outside of Tesla screens. So they should fix it.

As more automation comes in ( Robotic Process Automation). we will soon be dealing with Bots to set up our appointments and if if there is an issue or explanation required, I am not sure how it will be handled. Tesla's Service infrastructure has not kept pace with the number of new cars being delivered every quarter.

It's frustrating because I was in for the same service with the center touchscreen and it was covered under warranty.
Just wondering when the screen finally drains all its sticky goo inside the dash, is that still considered cosmetic?

My local (Albany NY) SC or SD is equally bad... first appointment was in September, and the day before they sent me a msg saying "sorry, no loaner available and your car needs to be here overnight. Please reschedule"... Ok, so I rescheduled for yesterday... with a loaner. when I showed up for the scheduled appointment the tech says "ok, you can either wait here or come back in 4 hours. I said "you told me overnight and there would be a loaner, I live 1.5 hours away." Oops, let me check. She came back "good news loaner available and yes you need to leave the car overnight, pick up tomorrow after 4:30." And then this morning, about 10 AM they call and say... "sorry not going to be ready until tomorrow after 4:30..." Seems like they need help in the scheduling department or something. If they know what they have to do, and you make an appointment a month in advance, why aren't they able to do the job in the allotted time?

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
it wouldn't happen to be the Costa mesa service center would it? nevertheless the SC are becoming more and more "scandalous" I have overwhelming proof. not just me they tried to "rip-off" but several, other customers from same SC. It is impossible to escalate your problem beyond the service managers which stick up for everyone below them. i finally got the regional Service managers email after a week of complaints only to wait another week for him to reply back. He ended up covering for the 5 previous employees who lied and made up a story and tried to cover all there backs. It's still on going. PM me I have some knowledge that will help you and others in this kind of situation
Hi! I created an account today just to figure out how to send a formal complaint. I’ve had horrible service (and mis-diagnosis) of my car at the Irvine center and then they had to fix the problem at the Lake Forest center. I can’t figure out how to PM you, can you send me the regional service manager email?

Hi! I created an account today just to figure out how to send a formal complaint. I’ve had horrible service (and mis-diagnosis) of my car at the Irvine center and then they had to fix the problem at the Lake Forest center. I can’t figure out how to PM you, can you send me the regional service manager email?

might as well send it to [email protected] lol

Reactions: HabitualUser
I've had issues repeatedly with the Milford, CT Service Center, including a damaged rim that they glued back together and never mentioned at pickup. The service tech's fingerprints are literally in the glue :rolleyes:. I've started taking my car out of state to get fixed so I would get a better response. Of note, the Mt Kisco team seems to be responsive, even if they can't resolve an issue right away.

The

the ironic thing although not unbelievable the regional Service manager Michael Nally his email address is not a valid email address I tried emailing him last week only to get my email returned saying my email was rejected I tried calling his personal # to find out its been disconnected. at the Irvine SC was your advisor named Trevor by chance? He and Michael are In cahoots with each other. here is my email [email protected] They made things worse by saying a invoice was paid then 2 weeks later not paid I have the invoice that says paid. the Irvine SC tried playing games on the app by saying my car was there in service and making the app useless. the games children play. Lessons will be taught.
That is awful! I will email you separately. Thanks!

FWIW, the SD/SC/"dealer" in Owings Mills, MD is very responsive through the app. They still talk to you like you're a bunch of pixels on a spreadsheet line, but at least they usually reply back pretty quickly. But the Tesla service experience is definitely as impersonal as it gets. I am fine with minimal interaction with humans for car issues, but unless you physically show up to the service center the only interaction you will ever have is messages through the app (and sometimes SMS).

Reactions: ContrarianDC