Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why is the LR Model S sold in the US limited to 130 mph while the same car sold in Europe/Asia has a top speed of 155 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I split my time between the US and China. I noticed the Model S LR North American version has a top speed of only 130 mph. I checked the Chinese Tesla website and saw that Tesla is advertising a top speed of 250 km/h or 155 mph for the same configuration. It also seems that cars sold in Europe also reach 155 mph. It appears American and Canadian buyers are getting ripped off, any reason for this?

It is also a matter of brakes and suspension. My car is a 2020 LR, and the performance had a higher top speed. The brakes were different and improved on the Performance or whatever it was called, as well as the tires, suspension, etc. I remember an earlier S had the same battery as the faster model, but to uncork it required suspension changes. to handle the performance.

Reactions: Zorak03
It is also a matter of brakes and suspension. My car is a 2020 LR, and the performance had a higher top speed. The brakes were different and improved on the Performance or whatever it was called, as well as the tires, suspension, etc. I remember an earlier S had the same battery as the faster model, but to uncork it required suspension changes. to handle the performance.
There were no suspension or brake changes when Tesla lowered the speed limiter, just the tire change.

Reactions: ucmndd
Is there a way to unlock the extra 25 mph? That’s a massive difference.
it might be possible by editing the “efficiency package” config, but I’m not sure if that’s a secured config or not. If it is secured, then no real way of raising the limiter without Tesla offering it.

I would say either buy a used one or buy a Plaid if the top speed is important to you