Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not make the cards smaller?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood. With the card in my right back pocket, I think a low sensor would work even with that short range. I’m also not a fan of always having battery-draining Bluetooth turned on for my phone.
Actually, that is the main reason that the app uses Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) and not "classic" Bluetooth.
It uses much less power than regular BT (examples are a coin battery lasting two years), so it won't drain your phone battery, even with constant use. The other remote oriented parts of the app don't use bluetooth but use regular internet networking.

Actually, that is the main reason that the app uses Bluetooth LE (Low Energy) and not "classic" Bluetooth.
It uses much less power than regular BT (examples are a coin battery lasting two years), so it won't drain your phone battery, even with constant use. The other remote oriented parts of the app don't use bluetooth but use regular internet networking.
What I don’t like though is that my iPhone simply drops juice faster when Bluetooth is enabled, I suppose from the basic “listening” function to let it link with devices. I know the pulses themselves are not big consumers but simply having it on 24-7 is my concern.

Both yes and no. I’m not talking about having to wave my rear at it. Just walking close to the car should be enough if you choose to keep it in your wallet or pocket.
Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic here, but you realize that the card is intended as a backup, right?

The only time I see using the card is if my phone dies for some reason or if I want to let someone else borrow the car. Otherwise, it will live in my wallet and never see the light of day.

Dan

Not trying to be snarky or sarcastic here, but you realize that the card is intended as a backup, right?

The only time I see using the card is if my phone dies for some reason or if I want to let someone else borrow the car. Otherwise, it will live in my wallet and never see the light of day.

Dan
Yep, I'm aware of that. But again, perhaps my iPhone 6S came new with a beat battery but I hate how quickly Bluetooth drains mine even when not actively using a BT device. I foresee having to use that card more frequently than one would use a backup.

Let's see: on my key chain I have the fob for my van, the house key, the garage door key, the mail box key, the key for my gym lock, the key for the lock on the shed and the key to our Kia. And two mini-cards for stores.

I have 13 cards in my wallet and six of them have RFID chips. I'd rather have another mini-card on the key chain.

No smart phone, just don't have any use for it as I am retired and spend much of my time on my desktop with two 23" screens, one landscape, one portrait. I'm on the third battery for my flip phone. I was in IT for 38 years and don't buy tech I don't need.

Let's see: on my key chain I have the fob for my van, the house key, the garage door key, the mail box key, the key for my gym lock, the key for the lock on the shed and the key to our Kia. And two mini-cards for stores.

I have 13 cards in my wallet and six of them have RFID chips. I'd rather have another mini-card on the key chain.

No smart phone, just don't have any use for it as I am retired and spend much of my time on my desktop with two 23" screens, one landscape, one portrait. I'm on the third battery for my flip phone. I was in IT for 38 years and don't buy tech I don't need.
Sadly you may not be the target market for the Model 3 which is embracing much more tech rather than less.
All of the personalization and driver profiling is based entirely on the smartphone and app.
The keycard is just a backup and has many missing features, all the good stuff uses the phone. The keycard just gets you started.

The target market is the group wishing to drive a long range, efficient, quick charging, reasonably priced EV. The rest is fluff. People will be fine with just the keycard if they so choose.

Sadly Tesla doesn't agree. They think we want a driverless uber. Hopefully at some point they offer two major interior options.. One for people that want to drive themselves, and one for people that want an electronic chauffeur.

Is there any reason for the cards to be larger than 1 cm by 3 cm? RFID chips are tiny, so the biggest requirement would be a place to punch a hole. I have several store club cards that are this size and they all fit nicely on my keychain. If your card is with your other keys, you would be very unlikely to forget it. It would also be easier to use if it wasn't buried in my wallet.
Don't you have the accessory from the Tesla store called the Special Model 3 Entry Device Reducer? Known in the office supply stores as scissors. Cut it down and drill a hole in it. Oh yes, please get back to us if it works.

I am happy with the idea of a card size key that can be kept in your wallet, what I would like to know is if the key signal is strong enough to work while in your wallet, because it would be inconvenient if I had to take it out every time I opened or started the vehicle.

Personally, I'm hoping for the ability to pair a BLE/NFC capable watch with the car as a backup device.

For security reasons, I doubt Tesla would allow you to duplicate your electronic key to a phone or watch's NFC, but honestly, I'd prefer the added functionality that comes with BLE anyway.

As far as "walk-up unlocking", since these doors don't self-present, I'm hoping the feature works much like my current car. At about 7-10 ft, you can actually hear the CPU "waking up" as BLE picks up a keyfob in its proximity....BUT, the doors don't unlock until you are within 1-3 ft, AND you actually touch a handle.

We're not getting the auto-open door or self-presenting handles, and I'm OK with that.

...I would like to know is if the key signal is strong enough to work while in your wallet, because it would be inconvenient if I had to take it out every time I opened or started the vehicle.
According to the manual the range is one or two inches so you should be able to tap your whole wallet on the B pillar and get it to work. If you're really tall you might even be able to leave the wallet in your pocket :D

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
According to the manual the range is one or two inches so you should be able to tap your whole wallet on the B pillar and get it to work. If you're really tall you might even be able to leave the wallet in your pocket :D

Unfortunately I don't live in the best of cities/environments so taking out my wallet to open my car and displaying it to everyone will not be my choice to open my car. So it looks like my phone will be the only option I will have left. ( not that I want to take that out in some neighborhoods either ).

I suppose this isn't a concern in the neighborhoods of those who invented the options. Oh well. No problem.

Unfortunately I don't live in the best of cities/environments so taking out my wallet to open my car and displaying it to everyone will not be my choice to open my car. So it looks like my phone will be the only option I will have left. ( not that I want to take that out in some neighborhoods either ).

I suppose this isn't a concern in the neighborhoods of those who invented the options. Oh well. No problem.

In some places, just having a car is enough to get you robbed....whether you use a key, phone, or card to get into it doesn't matter. So that wouldn't really be a Tesla problem. It's a great company, but I think community policing is a little out of their purview.

In some places, just having a car is enough to get you robbed....whether you use a key, phone, or card to get into it doesn't matter. So that wouldn't really be a Tesla problem. It's a great company, but I think community policing is a little out of their purview.
I am of the opinion that the key fob was accepted by many companies including Tesla because of its ease and safety. Is Tesla responsible for anyone getting robbed? Absolutely not.

I wonder if there is any way at all to let Tesla know of an opinion whether positive or negatively on Model 3's access?