Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not Paypal option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I know for fact it is not 5%. I would guess, it is similar to credit card processing, which will be in the 1~3% range. I don't think this is the reason since Mr. Musk also has a PayPal background.
True, Elon was one of the founders of PayPal, but if you listen to any recent interview with him on the subject you'd glean that he's not really a fan of the current iteration of the service.

I don't think the question should why not PayPal but why PayPa? You don't know what financial arrangements Tesla has worked out with the credit card companies. With the amount of transactions it makes them a Level 1 merchant which allows them to negotiate the fees. Since most people link a credit card to PayPal and since Tesla can probably negotiate fees less than what PayPal pays the credit card companies, PayPal maynot be competitive. Of course when you pay for full amount of the car credit cards won't be allowed as most states prohibit the purchase of a vehicle on a credit card. In the end you will either have to write a check or get a loan or lease. Even though a lot of people lease through Tesla the leasing terms are not good but if you want to lease you have no other option.

At the time of the payment PayPal checks your credit card balance/retrieves approval. That takes time. When I reserved my Model 3 it seemed to just take my data without check.

I guess they used a store n check later service to bypass the payment check at that very moment to handle the sheer volume of reservations and did the check later. Therefore we got the reservation confirmation with 24 - 48h only.