Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Ordered, Greatest Concerns

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While we are waiting to hear about likely delivery dates and wasting time obsessing over same, would anyone want to post why they ordered the new Y site unseen and what are their greatest concerns? I'll post my own thoughts a little later.

I was going between a used S and a Y with a budget of about $60k. I went to the Tesla showroom and sat in a 3 and an S and I will say I fell in love with the S. It felt like a luxury vehicle, more refined, and more comfortable. Then sitting in the 3, I was quite comfortable but thought the materials, etc. where better than a Honda but not quite up there with BMW/Mercedes.

So why the Y? What caused me to spend $60k on that vehicle when I could get a very nice refined vehicle from another manufacturer for $60k? For me it was the technology and capabilities of the Tesla. A used S was tempting but I didn't want to be stuck with the "older" tech and then have one out of warranty. And the Y is more practical in terms of cargo and dimensions (I live in the city).

I definitely intend to sit in and hopeful drive a couple in person before mine is delivered. If I don't like it, I can then cancel my order and go with a used model S, the runner up.

Concerns-
1) Comfort of the 2nd row. If its not much better than the 3 than that's a deal breaker for me. If I'm buying a small SUV/crossover I am not expecting rear seat passengers to be uncomfortable.
2) Installing a home charger. I live in a condo building and approval is not an issue as its a small one with good neighbors. What could be an issue is the cost of installing the circuit and the charger port about 40-50 feet from it near my parking space. In SF everything from a hamburger to a house cost 3-5x what it should anywhere else so when others spend $1500-2000 installing this in their garage in suburbia, we are probably looking at $4000-6000. If it goes on the high side it may be time to reconsider an EV and just get a BMW X3.

I was going between a used S and a Y with a budget of about $60k. I went to the Tesla showroom and sat in a 3 and an S and I will say I fell in love with the S. It felt like a luxury vehicle, more refined, and more comfortable. Then sitting in the 3, I was quite comfortable but thought the materials, etc. where better than a Honda but not quite up there with BMW/Mercedes.

So why the Y? What caused me to spend $60k on that vehicle when I could get a very nice refined vehicle from another manufacturer for $60k? For me it was the technology and capabilities of the Tesla. A used S was tempting but I didn't want to be stuck with the "older" tech and then have one out of warranty. And the Y is more practical in terms of cargo and dimensions (I live in the city).

I definitely intend to sit in and hopeful drive a couple in person before mine is delivered. If I don't like it, I can then cancel my order and go with a used model S, the runner up.

Concerns-
1) Comfort of the 2nd row. If its not much better than the 3 than that's a deal breaker for me. If I'm buying a small SUV/crossover I am not expecting rear seat passengers to be uncomfortable.
2) Installing a home charger. I live in a condo building and approval is not an issue as its a small one with good neighbors. What could be an issue is the cost of installing the circuit and the charger port about 40-50 feet from it near my parking space. In SF everything from a hamburger to a house cost 3-5x what it should anywhere else so when others spend $1500-2000 installing this in their garage in suburbia, we are probably looking at $4000-6000. If it goes on the high side it may be time to reconsider an EV and just get a BMW X3.
The battery is the most important, cosmetic enhancements are secondary, so I went for the Model 3, however I wish the Model Y was available...
I was able to install my own plug and spent less than $500 for a 75' line, all the quotes I receive otherwise were at least 10x what I spent.

Last edited:
Wanted a crossover EV to replace my current SUV. Model Y is the latest and greatest (Model X is way out of my budget currently).

Concerns -
1. I like to go for long drives so range anxiety definitely is on my mind.
2. Quality control during early M3 deliveries left a lot to desire. Hope thats not the case here.
3. Atlanta has very few roads without potholes and cracks. Hope the low profile tires handle them ok.

Reactions: Aarons12
Ordered MY LRAWD in Nov. Had a friend with an S, loved the concept, I've got solar panels. My wife didn't like the back seat of the S though.

Ordered the MY for the cargo space. I have a Crosstrek now, wish Subaru had a "real" EV though, they are VERY dependable cars which is a concern with Tesla. Tesla owners are locked into Tesla Customer Service, which based on this and other forums, does not quite measure up to the level of their tech. Tesla may be 5 years ahead of the other companies tech-wise, but it reads like they're 10 years behind in the customer relations area.

Reactions: iustin
I started off at looking at a Model 3 to replace my Kia Soul EV. Liked it a lot but was concerned about cargo capacity...the sedan form factor was a lot less flexible than what I had with the Soul with it's large rear hatch. In addition, the wife wanted to get a car we could use for long distance trips with the kids. Model Y appears to tick both of those boxes while not breaking the bank (a la Model X).

As far as ordering sight unseen, my assumption is I'll have the chance to sit in one before my order ever comes up for delivery.

While we are waiting to hear about likely delivery dates and wasting time obsessing over same, would anyone want to post why they ordered the new Y site unseen and what are their greatest concerns? I'll post my own thoughts a little later.
This will be my first electric vehicle and I only recently began considering a Tesla. I had a client in CA that bought a Model S in 2012; he
took me for ride right after he got it. I think he paid $125,000. It was impressive, but at the time I thought it was just a rich man's toy because range was limited and there was no place to charge it on a trip. However, I have been monitoring progress on autonomous driving and have long thought that once the technology was better developed it would be highly desirable...who wouldn't want their own chauffeur? Thinking that this technology was still a ways off and current offerings were more a novelty than something really practical, I was
pretty close to ordering a new BMW X5 to replace my 2012 Mercedes ML 350...maybe the plug in hybrid which is supposed to be available this spring and have an all electric range of about 50 miles. However, while waiting for the hybrid BMW to become available in the U.S. I began researching Teslas and saw videos showing that autopilot was way more advanced than I had assumed. That led me to test drive a Model 3. I was impressed with autopilot and thought the new Model Y might suit me. An acquaintance with a Model S also told me that he uses autopilot all the time and that trips are less stressful with it and that he arrives less fatigued. So, autopilot is pretty good now and will only get better...perhaps soon according to Musk. And, Superchargers are now almost everywhere and charging times are not that long considering you have to stop occasionally any way. At $62,000, the Y is not cheap but about the same as a gas X5 and maybe $7-$10 thousand less than the X5 hybrid (pricing not yet announced) even net of tax rebate.

My concerns are as follows:

1) Will the size and seating position suit me? It looks small and total cargo capacity may mislead given that the frunk and under floor storage areas are no doubt included in the 66 cubic ft. capacity figure published. This means large items, such as a bicycle, may not fit behind the front seats. And, will the seating position be high enough to ease ingress/egress and give the commanding view of the road that many of us SUV drivers have come to like?

2) Will a hitch rack for bikes be practical? (Someone did post a picture of a Y with a hitch, but still nothing official from Tesla or aftermarket vendors.) Will a bike rack impair the function of autopilot or blind spot monitoring? Seems like someone with a Model 3 should be able to answer, but so far haven't found anything on the internet that addresses. (Apparently a bike on a rack will cause an alert from the bumper sensors, but this can be disabled.)

3) Will I miss the ride and opulence of a Mercedes or BMW? The Model 3 I drove was stiffly sprung and the interior was austere in comparison...this may be a matter of my needing to adjust my thinking as to what is really desirable. A lot of the controls and features traditionally expected on a luxury automobile are obviated by the new technology and centralized controls offered by the Tesla. But, I think the Tesla is so different that it may be challenging for an old timer to adjust.

4) I think I'm gonna go crazy waiting for this thing, especially given the uncertainty of when delivery is likely. (Ah, poor me. First world problem, huh?)

Reactions: lnsh
Wanted a crossover EV to replace my current SUV. Model Y is the latest and greatest (Model X is way out of my budget currently).

Concerns -
2. Quality control during early M3 deliveries left a lot to desire. Hope thats not the case here.
3. Atlanta has very few roads without potholes and cracks. Hope the low profile tires handle them ok.

ditto on the above. will also add not sure i will like not having any sort of guage cluster in front of me but will probably get used to that.

i only ordered in January when they announced deliveries would start 10 months early. other than that i had planned to lease one more time (getting old LOL) and THEN have some choices. but from what i have read, tech wise tesla is years ahead and pulling away, so i'm excited.

Not too many concerns other than making sure the length/width are still pretty comparable to the 3, (width being more critical for my one car garage, I can work with it being a few inched longer seeing the 3 is shorter than my old G6).

Mostly getting it cause I love my 3, and this car is basically the same but to have something that sits higher up (4-6" more) would be amazing, and the extra little bit of room/having it be closer to a hatchback, makes it a bit more versatile while not being a "big" car. For me, the Y has the potential to be the perfect Tesla.

Concerns -

1) Even the Model 3 SR can go from ATL to LAX. it's not an issue.
2) I got an early Model 3, it really didn't have any QC issues - don't let complaints in a forum and online "News" outlets (who pay per article) jade your interpretation of ANY product)
3) Must not have been in many other cities. As someone who does get to travel, Atlanta and Georgia actually have one of the better road systems in the country. Head up into the snow belt and it becomes quite obvious how great the Georgia road systems are.

I just got back from my 5th trip to Orlando in two years. Also been over to Mississippi, up to Dayton OH, and a number of other places.
Range anxiety is only a state of mind, not a feature of a car.

1) Even the Model 3 SR can go from ATL to LAX. it's not an issue.
2) I got an early Model 3, it really didn't have any QC issues - don't let complaints in a forum and online "News" outlets (who pay per article) jade your interpretation of ANY product)
3) Must not have been in many other cities. As someone who does get to travel, Atlanta and Georgia actually have one of the better road systems in the country. Head up into the snow belt and it becomes quite obvious how great the Georgia road systems are.

I just got back from my 5th trip to Orlando in two years. Also been over to Mississippi, up to Dayton OH, and a number of other places.
Range anxiety is only a state of mind, not a feature of a car.

Thank you, my friend. You alleviate my fears :) . And yes, Georgia indeed has a great road system compared to the north. I guess I just read too much into all the complaints. Super anxiously waiting to enjoy the MY.

ditto on the above. will also add not sure i will like not having any sort of guage cluster in front of me but will probably get used to that.

My wife just recently bought a Model 3 and has now polluted me with Tesla, so I am on the fence about getting myself a Y. I've put about 2000 miles on her model 3.

The gauge cluster thing seems to be a common concern, but my thoughts at this point are:

1. A concern I see a lot from people is looking slightly away from the road to see the speed on the screen, when IMO its not really that much different than peering down through the steering wheel.

2. Do we really need to see a "number" associated with your "speed" ? The only reason I need to see a number is to obey the "number" that the traffic laws say you are restricted to. Otherwise, I've been driving for 30 years and have never been in an accident, I think I am a good enough judge on conditions to decide what is too fast or not just by watching the road.

3. Given #2: my last speeding ticket was back in 2012 when we bought our BMW X5, and after years and years of owning sport sedans and fast cars, I would give up driving for fun and just cruise control the speed limit. I sold my BMW M3, and later we sold the X5 and we bought two PHEVs instead. Since then I just set the cruise to the speed limit + 5 and forget about it. This is even easier to do in the Model 3 where I live, it knows the speed limit on almost every stretch of road. You just whip the right hand stalk down and you're done. Car handles the speed, no real reason to have an instrumentation cluster or check the screen.

4. Other reason to have an instrumentation cluster? to check RPMs, pressures and temps. When my BMW M3 was cold you were RPM restricted until all the hardware, temps and pressures warmed up, so having all that info available was important. But, you don't need any of that in a Tesla.

5. The more I have driven the model 3, the more I think: actually, isn't this spartan interior almost the purest form of "driver's car" ? Ideally you just need to steer and control your speed. The Model 3 / Y drops everything else away - even the brake pedal - so its just you, the accelerator, the steering wheel and the view of the road (which is excellent. well... except the rear blind spot). Yup, I'll take it.

During the day I never notice the cluster isn't there. However, at night its harder to get used to. Far, far too many years and miles of my life with some type of cluster glowing right there in front of me will prob take some time to condition out of my brain. When I'm driving the model 3, there is just a giant black space where I am used to seeing something. But I gladly accept that given everything above and the litany of other ways the Tesla has re-lit the flame for driving in me after almost ten years.

• Informative
Reactions: lnsh
Ordered MY LRAWD in Nov. Had a friend with an S, loved the concept, I've got solar panels. My wife didn't like the back seat of the S though.

Ordered the MY for the cargo space. I have a Crosstrek now, wish Subaru had a "real" EV though, they are VERY dependable cars which is a concern with Tesla. Tesla owners are locked into Tesla Customer Service, which based on this and other forums, does not quite measure up to the level of their tech. Tesla may be 5 years ahead of the other companies tech-wise, but it reads like they're 10 years behind in the customer relations area.

Yay, another Crosstrek owner. Same here, waiting and waiting for Subaru to come up with a real EV, but still nothing, so very interested in the model Y.

My main concerns coming from Subaru are the ground clearance, and tires with much smaller sidewall. Will see first hand reports soon, I hope.

We've been wanting to get rid of our ICE for a few years now (we are a one-car family). Tesla has looked like a very viable option for a number of years... a couple things didn't align for us, though: we didn't see a 'sedan' working for our needs and we couldn't afford the X. The Y comes along and checks off those two primary issues. I have good friends that are on their 2nd Tesla -- and they've had consistent satisfaction with their cars. I've driven the existing models (S, 3, and X) and feel the 'platform' more than meets our needs 'in general.' The Y is the form and in the price range for what we're after.

My concerns are as follows:

2) Will a hitch rack for bikes be practical? (Someone did post a picture of a Y with a hitch, but still nothing official from Tesla or aftermarket vendors.) Will a bike rack impair the function of autopilot or blind spot monitoring? Seems like someone with a Model 3 should be able to answer, but so far haven't found anything on the internet that addresses. (Apparently a bike on a rack will cause an alert from the bumper sensors, but this can be disabled.)

^ this is a big deal. We need to have a way to get our tandem bike rack on the car. Our rack is a hitch rack that 110% works for us. Part of me thinks I'm crazy for this actually driving a purchase decision -- but. it. is. that. important. So we're embracing it.

After the receiver hitch variable... the only other concern is range. We are in a rural area -- with cold winter temperatures and real headwind days. When we want to take a trip to the "big city" we are looking at 150 mile(-ish) gaps between supercharging options. Everything I'm reading is that cold temperatures + interstate speeds can be a significant impact on range... then add potential Columbia River head winds for some real fun!

It turned out well when I did the same thing for my Model 3
I have an early 3 (VIN 12XX) and I love it. However, the Y is higher so it'll be easier getting in and out. Also, it'll have a hatchback, which makes it easier to use my road bike.
I'm not concerned about getting an early Y at all.

Another Model 3 owner who purchased the 3 sight unseen and it turned out well as ewoodrick stated too.
I actually debated ordering the 3 since I prefer a hatchback where I can load larger items without having to borrow my wife's large SUV.
Nothing worse then getting to Lowes/HomeDepot only to realize what I'm shopping for won't fit.

I have wanted to get an EV for what could be my last vehicle. Figured that my 70th birthday in August was a good milestone to get it.

But there was nothing out there that could suit me.

1) Need cargo space; We live 4 months of the year in 3 spots, each 700 miles from the other, and we often fill every inch of our current VW Sportwagon's 66 cubic inches.

2) I won't get an SUV. I like my rear end as close to the ground as possible, in a smaller sized vehicle, that has taut handling.

3) Want a clean, classic look. Not something with a big mouth, angry eyes, and harsh cheekbones

4) Range. Each of my trip legs is 350 miles. If the EV can't do that, then a fairly short stop to regenerate is OK

5) Can hold my bike in the back, sans a rack. I haul my bike a least twice a week to club meet-up spots here in Florida, and occasionally in Maine.

I was waiting to see if the VW ID Crozz checked most of these boxes

But:

At the last Tesla earnings report, I learned that the Model "Y", a crossover vehicle getting 315 miles of range is coming in March. I knew absolutely nothing about the Y, or much about Tesla for that matter. So, I started doing some research, including this forum. Result: I put $100 down that day.

Concerns:
I've read some complaining about harsh ride and noise with the 3.
As someone who likes low, taut handling cars, I've obviously owned a few: '70 MGBGT; 1980's: Civic Si, Accord; 1990's: BMW 318ti, BMW 328, BMW M3, '68 Porsche 911; '80 Porsche 911SC; 2000's: Saab 9-5 Aero; Infiniti G35. Of all these cars, the BMW M3 was the only one I found the ride too harsh for my liking. The '68 911 even having been lowered was fine, except it was noisy (what do you expect with a 2.0 liter, uninsulated air-cooled motor spinning 3500 rpm @ 65 mph a few feet behind you?).

• Ride: If the Y is not as high stung as the M3 and in the ballpark of all the other BMW's, the 1980 911SC, and Infiniti G35, I'll be happy.

• Noise: Most of what I read about the 3 is highway & wind noise above 55 mph. Other than the destination traveling along I-95 from Maine-Maryland-Florida, all our driving is rural at that speed or lower. So, probably not a problem. Plus, I've read, including a quote from Elon Musk, that steps were taken to quiet the 3 in the last model year. If so, I expect that to be carried over to the Y.

• Really want it to take my bike in the trunk.

• Not too far off the ground. I saw a Y in person last week: it is not much more off the ground than the 3. How do I know? Because a 3 was following right behind it. So, it will just depend on seat height.

• Looks: Oh, it definitely has a clean & classic look. Styled more like my 911 than any other car I've owned. Can't figure out how they can get 66 cubic inches of storage in the size and shape. And I don't care if some of that is in the frunk, as some of my wife's shoes, yoga mats, 4-months supply of tea, and my cases of gin will go in there.

Looking forward to a test drive to confirm my optimism on these three final boxes. Assuming that everything I hope for is confirmed, my last concern is delivery. What if they give me a VIN in August, and I'm in Maine? Currently, my delivery location is Florida, where the VW trade-in is registered. I've talked to Tesla about it, and should be able to work that out.

Reactions: Aarons12