Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla doesn't have that swag appeal like a Benz or Porsche?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you understand how the Superchargers work? They are in pairs. The first car on a pair gets as much power as it requests. The second car on a pair gets what is left over from 144 kW (or a number around that). Once the first car charges significantly the charge rate will fall off and the second car will get more if it needs it. It is possible the other car on the pair had just pulled in when you pulled up and was still charging at 120 kW. But during the 30 minutes you charged the other car charge rate should have started to taper off allowing your charging rate to increase, although it wouldn't be near 120 kW until the other car was near 90%.

I waited 25 minutes for an opening so no car just pulled in. Its just very frustrating that it charged at 37kw which is just stupid slow for a supercharger.

:rolleyes:

I own 2 teslas, an S and X for their daily practicality and a 911 for fun. I am ashamed though to admit I own a tesla when my friends ask me what I drive because tesla really is a horrible company.

Edit: Correction horribly RUN company.
To each his own. I would feel way more ashamed to be driving a Porsche around, just for the fun of it.

Related to "swag appeal" is how and whether Teslas (Teslae?) are shown on TV shows and movies. Big, black MB S-class is still the standard issue for "bad guys," and Porsches, BMWs and Benzes are standard to depict "rich people." I've rarely seen Teslas. That probably reflects that Teslas are not really on the radar of most people as an obvious status symbol - or perhaps in the flyover states, most people wouldn't recognize them at all. Until you see them in rap videos I suppose their "swag appeal" will remain low.

All that is fine by me, of course, but it's interesting.

One exception is the Australian show "800 Words," on PBS. Set in New Zealand, a hoity-toity real estate agent has a first-gen Model S, to depict that she's rich and powerful. Model S is probably a particularly big deal in NZ, given its cost there.

Has anyone seen Teslas in other TV shows or movies?

I got all the compliments and wows from younger people, but critiques or sneers from older, rich people.

I've noticed the same. I've had at least three separate young valets positively gush over my fairly modest Model 3 - something that never happened when I had a BMW 7, or in various friends' ridiculous Porsches and Benzes. I get the impression that for younger people, Tesla is far more the aspirational dream car than the usual German suspects.

I waited 25 minutes for an opening so no car just pulled in. Its just very frustrating that it charged at 37kw which is just stupid slow for a supercharger.

I meant just pulled in before you arrived, not before you started charging. But, yes, not too long after you started charging it should have started to give you more power, but it would be gradual.

This was discussed in an thread I once saw where people said on connecting you would get 36 kW and the first car would be dropped to whatever that leaves, we'll say 108 kW. Then once the first car starts to drop back the charging power it has to drop a full increment of whatever the charging units are in the Supercharger, I believe 12 kW. But someone was saying they will only switch three together in order to keep the three phases balanced, so 36 kW. That means the first car would have to drop to 72 kW before your car could get more power, but you would get 72 kW at that point. I haven't seen the charging curve for a while but the 72 kW point is up there a bit, maybe 70%. The idea behind this is to get cars back on the road the fastest.

I suspect this is why urban chargers are simply 72 kW each. They just give everyone the same rate because the intent is not to get people back on their trips, just to give them a charge while shopping. This also gives the most predictable end charging time.

It depends on who you are. Grey Poupon old money types love Mercedes. Young rich techies want Tesla. You can just check parking lot of those millionaire nest Silicon Valley companies to get a good idea. It's very popular for Hollywood celebrity type too. Tesla seems to be more fashionable to them.

Last edited:
I had 4 MB including an AMG, BMW and Audi before I got into electric cars. I think it’s just a matter of time. The other companies have a 100 year history and Motorsport reputation. The Roadster 2 should change things a bit when it beats the gassers on the ring. Tesla could also spend some on marketing and making it known. Green/sustainability mainly appeals to younger people and intellectuals. You have to have a superior product without any buts... but it overheats after one lap... it’s the fastest, but service is terrible... it looks cool, but the huge glass windshield gives me a sunburn...

• Funny
Reactions: Brando