Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla doesn't have that swag appeal like a Benz or Porsche?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla doesn't have a lot of 'heritage' behind it right now. MB has been making cars almost since the Beginning of Time. Their cars often present design elements that date back for decades, have great quality of materials, 'feel', and so on. Similar with Porsche - which also has the added panache of great racing history and high performance throughout their model offerings. Tesla is a new kid on the block. Give them 10-20 years, a few more new models and model iterations, and we'll see where they are. A racing program wouldn't hurt either. (Great start offering a Randy Pobst-tuned track mode in the Model 3. One of these days they also need to do a decent assault on the 'ring.)

Reactions: Cheburashka
Their cars are poorly made and not luxurious. Top it off with bad customer service to show the company doesn't care about customers, and douchey millenials everywhere buying cheap new model 3s, of course there is no swag.
Tell you what. You can buy a car based on how close it looks to a Formula 1 car. The rest of the world will buy a car based on what it can do for them in their day to day lives. Enjoy you gas guzzler.

Dan

This is why I love the after market accessories options.
This works for the real car enthusiast willing to put the time and the effort into it, not for those wanting a ready made off the shelf life style statement .
Like dressing a house up with choices of ceramics, cabinets, bathroom/light fixtures, etc.
You can adapt your car to represent your life style...
Change it to a luxury cabin trim and adjust ride options,
or option for a race car performance & appearance.
Everyone is different

So I'm just wondering, why doesn't Tesla have that same appeal of "I made it" compared to like a Mercedes or Porsche? Like if there is a phony commercial about get rich quick, why don't they feature a Tesla? But are more likely to show a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche
Educated people know that we don't get rich quick. These commercials are then per definition meant for the uneducated who aren't abreast with society in general and might not know what Tesla is.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday in my BMW i3. An older couple pulled next to me in the parking lot and commented on how much they liked the style of the car. They asked if it was a new design that just came out. When I told them that it has been out since 2014, they couldn't believe it. I proceeded to tell them it was electric and then I fielded the standard questions that we are all too accustomed to answering.

Actually since 2012.

• Informative
Reactions: brianman and gavine
Tell you what. You can buy a car based on how close it looks to a Formula 1 car. The rest of the world will buy a car based on what it can do for them in their day to day lives. Enjoy you gas guzzler.

Dan

:rolleyes:

I own 2 teslas, an S and X for their daily practicality and a 911 for fun. I am ashamed though to admit I own a tesla when my friends ask me what I drive because tesla really is a horrible company.

Edit: Correction horribly RUN company.

:rolleyes:

I own 2 teslas, an S and X for their daily practicality and a 911 for fun. I am ashamed though to admit I own a tesla when my friends ask me what I drive because tesla really is a horrible company.

Edit: Correction horribly RUN company.
Horribly ran or just horribly dissected by the media? I guess I just haven’t been adversely affected by this horribly ran company yet. Jinx. Ah *sugar*.

Several years ago when I bought my Model S Tesla's were cool because in my area anyway they were not seen all over the place. Today there are so many cheap Model 3's driving around that its no longer unique. If Tesla wants to get some of this coolness back they will have to make a separation from the Model 3's and the Model S in their next refresh. People don't want to spend $140k and have a similar looking $35k model 3 - They need to get back to also adding Badging also to separate the differences in vehicles.

Several years ago when I bought my Model S Tesla's were cool because in my area anyway they were not seen all over the place. Today there are so many cheap Model 3's driving around that its no longer unique. If Tesla wants to get some of this coolness back they will have to make a separation from the Model 3's and the Model S in their next refresh. People don't want to spend $140k and have a similar looking $35k model 3 - They need to get back to also adding Badging also to separate the differences in vehicles.

Funny how you put that. I often stop to charge in Gaithersburg since they don't yet have chargers in Frederick, MD. There are 12 Supers and they are always nearly full if not full. I hardly ever see a model 3. They are pretty much all S and X models. More than one has had custom wrap or paint. I guess it's just that sort of neighborhood.

Funny how you put that. I often stop to charge in Gaithersburg since they don't yet have chargers in Frederick, MD. There are 12 Supers and they are always nearly full if not full. I hardly ever see a model 3. They are pretty much all S and X models. More than one has had custom wrap or paint. I guess it's just that sort of neighborhood.

We have very few chargers around our area and they are always filled with Model 3's. Last weekend on my way back home I had to stop at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike and get enough power to make it home. The 4 stalls were filled and I had to wait 25 minutes for a stall to open. When I got in the damn charger would only charge at 37kw.. Took a 30 minute charge to get me enough charge to get home. In the past I always had empty stalls and charging rates were much higher.

We have very few chargers around our area and they are always filled with Model 3's. Last weekend on my way back home I had to stop at a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike and get enough power to make it home. The 4 stalls were filled and I had to wait 25 minutes for a stall to open. When I got in the damn charger would only charge at 37kw.. Took a 30 minute charge to get me enough charge to get home. In the past I always had empty stalls and charging rates were much higher.

Do you understand how the Superchargers work? They are in pairs. The first car on a pair gets as much power as it requests. The second car on a pair gets what is left over from 144 kW (or a number around that). Once the first car charges significantly the charge rate will fall off and the second car will get more if it needs it. It is possible the other car on the pair had just pulled in when you pulled up and was still charging at 120 kW. But during the 30 minutes you charged the other car charge rate should have started to taper off allowing your charging rate to increase, although it wouldn't be near 120 kW until the other car was near 90%.