Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Tesla doesn't have that swag appeal like a Benz or Porsche?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm just wondering, why doesn't Tesla have that same appeal of "I made it" compared to like a Mercedes or Porsche? Like if there is a phony commercial about get rich quick, why don't they feature a Tesla? But are more likely to show a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche, which all have cars within the same Tesla price range.

I will admit that Mercedes, BMW, Porsche will likely have much nicer designer interior for top of the line cars. Something that Tesla doesn't offer, even if you drop $150k on a Model X that looks no different than a base Model X. I kinda wish Tesla would consider a more "swaggy" interior option for those who want to their Teslas to look baller. So that way it can be a car that makes a fashion statement like a Benz or BMW.

My mom has a Mercedes GLC AMG Ed 1, it's one of the coolest cars my parents bought in terms of looks, it def has swag appeal. But I don't really enjoy driving it for long distance and I would rather drive an EV. And it's kinda slow for a top of the line swaggy SUV, especially compared to a Model X.

Only thing about the old school nice cars is non of them really have a mainstream EV line, and most of them are still focused on gas. And no matter how baller the car is, I think a Tesla EV drives much better than any high roller gas car. And also having autopilot is another big plus, something you won't get balling out on some other expensive car brand.

Tesla should offer is maybe upgraded body kits or more expensive interior options that feature high end leather and chrome. I'm sure there will be a rich rapper out there who would pick those options. I have seen a guy in a Bape hoodie with the most expensive Model X that costs $150k, and he had a custom red matte wrap. It's likely not their priority, but I would like to see a stylish swagged out Model X featured in a music video or in Fast the Furious.

Let's face it, Tesla is still a niche product in the eyes of the general public. The average Joe is much more likely to recognize Porsche, Mercedes, etc. as a "high end" or "I have finally arrived" kind of car. Tesla is getting there but there is still a huge part of the population that hasn't even heard of Tesla let alone know what it is about. I ran into someone earlier this week that asked me about my car and when I told them it was a Tesla they said they had never heard of it. When I said it was electric that really threw him for a loop!

Dan

So I'm just wondering, why doesn't Tesla have that same appeal of "I made it" compared to like a Mercedes or Porsche? Like if there is a phony commercial about get rich quick, why don't they feature a Tesla? But are more likely to show a Mercedes, BMW, or Porsche, which all have cars within the same Tesla price range.

I will admit that Mercedes, BMW, Porsche will likely have much nicer designer interior for top of the line cars. Something that Tesla doesn't offer, even if you drop $150k on a Model X that looks no different than a base Model X. I kinda wish Tesla would consider a more "swaggy" interior option for those who want to their Teslas to look baller. So that way it can be a car that makes a fashion statement like a Benz or BMW.

My mom has a Mercedes GLC AMG Ed 1, it's one of the coolest cars my parents bought in terms of looks, it def has swag appeal. But I don't really enjoy driving it for long distance and I would rather drive an EV. And it's kinda slow for a top of the line swaggy SUV, especially compared to a Model X.

Only thing about the old school nice cars is non of them really have a mainstream EV line, and most of them are still focused on gas. And no matter how baller the car is, I think a Tesla EV drives much better than any high roller gas car. And also having autopilot is another big plus, something you won't get balling out on some other expensive car brand.

Tesla should offer is maybe upgraded body kits or more expensive interior options that feature high end leather and chrome. I'm sure there will be a rich rapper out there who would pick those options. I have seen a guy in a Bape hoodie with the most expensive Model X that costs $150k, and he had a custom red matte wrap. It's likely not their priority, but I would like to see a stylish swagged out Model X featured in a music video or in Fast the Furious.

This is absolutely true; Tesla isn't quite the same "status car" as a Merc or Porsche. And personally I'm happy about that. I've never liked people who flaunt their wealth. And my experience is that those who flaunt it, don't really have that much. They're usually up to their eyeballs in debt, trying to get their next status toy.

I do think Tesla needs to up their game a bit on the interior and such. But I really hope they don't become a "status car".

I think it depends on where you live to some extent. I get lots of thumbs up and positive comments from strangers, certainly more than my previous S-Class. The Mercedes did have a much nicer cabin.

I’m all for a upgraded interior, but Tesla is focused on streamlining manufacturing and offering fewer choices at this time.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm actually the opposite. To me, the Tesla Model S is one of the best looking vehicles every designed. I know that's subjective though and realize it may not be everyone's cup of tea. I'm in the midwest and Teslas are still a big deal here. Kids especially love them and often times want to take a picture of it or next to it. We may be but a generation away from these being the status symbol that cars of our childhood were.

I find myself more and more these days seeing really nice ICE cars as dinosaurs. Where I used to assume the owners were successful (to some degree) and had an eye for luxury now I see it as someone with more money than brains throwing away money at a dying segment. I see those who own Teslas as intelligent with an eye on the future and a pulse for what's coming down the pipeline.

I'm a HUGE car guy and have been as long as I can remember but I'm having a very difficult time caring for any of the new fancy cars coming out. They just seem so... vintage now. With 5-15hp bumps here and there and tech additions that all can be seen as commonplace now thanks to Tesla.

I'm just amazed anyone at all is still buying ICE cars anymore. When I see a $100k+ car with in-transit tags these days I cringe knowing they could have 1) bought a Tesla that does more better for the same or less and 2) that car will be nearly worthless in 5 years when nobody wants them once the EV wave hits which is fast approaching.

A few years ago the Model S was THE car to show you "made it" here in So Cal. There was a wait time to get one and they were most definitely status symbols. Hard to get and pretty rare sights back then brought that attraction. On the forums, people talked about making sure they had the "top dog" model and got upset when Tesla would add a new top config so that they no longer had the "top dog" one.

Now that they are much more common and mainstream, I think that appeal has worn off for that particular crowd.

I still get a lot of young folks telling me they love my car and hoping they can be successful enough to own one someday, though. So I think it still has some of that appeal.

After years with different X5's, my wife was tired of it. When we shopped for her next car back in 2017, she was picking between Mercedes G Wagon and Porsche Cayenne. Her boss who owned both of those told her to take a look at Model X. We have never ever thought about buying an electric car. We took a test drive and bought one right after. We thought Tesla was way swag LOL. ;) Of course now a year+ later... everyone in the neighborhood got Tesla's. I guess when a car becomes more common, it is not as "swag" anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond and TQCLove
After years with different X5's, my wife was tired of it. When we shopped for her next car back in 2017, she was picking between Mercedes G Wagon and Porsche Cayenne. Her boss who owned both of those told her to take a look at Model X. We have never ever thought about buying an electric car. We took a test drive and bought one right after. We thought Tesla was way swag LOL. ;) Of course now a year+ later... everyone in the neighborhood got Tesla's. I guess when a car becomes more common, it is not as "swag" anymore.
Except that, at least by "convention" standards, SWAG stands for "Sh** We All Get"... so I guess it works from that point of view ;)

Reactions: 2012MS85
I ran into someone earlier this week that asked me about my car and when I told them it was a Tesla they said they had never heard of it.

Similar thing happened to me yesterday in my BMW i3. An older couple pulled next to me in the parking lot and commented on how much they liked the style of the car. They asked if it was a new design that just came out. When I told them that it has been out since 2014, they couldn't believe it. I proceeded to tell them it was electric and then I fielded the standard questions that we are all too accustomed to answering.

Let's face it, Tesla is still a niche product in the eyes of the general public. The average Joe is much more likely to recognize Porsche, Mercedes, etc. as a "high end" or "I have finally arrived" kind of car. Tesla is getting there but there is still a huge part of the population that hasn't even heard of Tesla let alone know what it is about. I ran into someone earlier this week that asked me about my car and when I told them it was a Tesla they said they had never heard of it. When I said it was electric that really threw him for a loop!

Dan

You can’t expect for Tesla to be as recognized as a car company that’s been around almost ten times longer. Give it another 10 years.