TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Why was there only 1 battery option upon deposit & now.......

Discussion in 'Model S' started by tfneb, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfneb

tfneb New Member

At the time of reservation for MODEL S there was 1 battery option. Now there are multiples. Is this the ol' bait & switch? Can someone explain in depth what really is the difference besides mileage?

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

#2 dsm363, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    When did you put your reservation down? There have always been three battery choices as far back as I can remember. The price for each battery pack option wasn't know until this summer I think and final pricing and options came out December 20th, 2011. The base price for the 160 mile pack (now know to be 40 kWh) has been stated to be $49,900 (after US Federal Tax Credit) for over a year and a half I think. There has been no bait and switch.

There are other threads that talk about the battery but they differ in cell chemistry, number of cells and therefore total kWh.

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#3 AnOutsider, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
    There was always 3 options for the Model S as far back as I can remember. I have a flyer here from 2009 that says "up to 300 miles range". No bait and switch here, just uninformed consumer(s).

*edit* as far as the differences, there's price of course (imagine if there were only 1 option, at 80kish... People would flip), the smallest pack can't supercharge, has a lower warranty, and has poorer 0-60 performance.

You can compare the models here: Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

4. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/234813/tesla_model_s.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.