Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why was there only 1 battery option upon deposit & now.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfneb

Jan 2, 2012
At the time of reservation for MODEL S there was 1 battery option. Now there are multiples. Is this the ol' bait & switch? Can someone explain in depth what really is the difference besides mileage?

At the time of reservation for MODEL S there was 1 battery option. Now there are multiples. Is this the ol' bait & switch? Can someone explain in depth what really is the difference besides mileage?
When did you put your reservation down? There have always been three battery choices as far back as I can remember. The price for each battery pack option wasn't know until this summer I think and final pricing and options came out December 20th, 2011. The base price for the 160 mile pack (now know to be 40 kWh) has been stated to be $49,900 (after US Federal Tax Credit) for over a year and a half I think. There has been no bait and switch.

There are other threads that talk about the battery but they differ in cell chemistry, number of cells and therefore total kWh.

Last edited:
There was always 3 options for the Model S as far back as I can remember. I have a flyer here from 2009 that says "up to 300 miles range". No bait and switch here, just uninformed consumer(s).

*edit* as far as the differences, there's price of course (imagine if there were only 1 option, at 80kish... People would flip), the smallest pack can't supercharge, has a lower warranty, and has poorer 0-60 performance.

You can compare the models here: Model S Options and Pricing | Tesla Motors

Last edited:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/234813/tesla_model_s.html

26th March 2009

Buyers will be able to choose from three battery packs, with ranges of 160 miles, 230 miles and 300 miles. Tesla says that the battery can be partially recharged in just 45 minutes.

While the two-seater Roadster costs around £90,000, the Model S is said to be much cheaper with the entry-level 160-mile model potentially costing less than £40,000. The stunning machine is likely to go on sale in the UK in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.