Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why would someone choose a Polestar 2 over a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still a luxury vehicle at those price points. Tesla is way ahead in the battery game - that's the key to BEV success. I wouldn't trade my 3 in for any other brand until their battery tech is on par or better. One fifth of the cost per km driven is easily erased by inferior battery management systems.

I feel the same way about the Supercharger network. Battery tech can be on-par or greater, range can be longer, cars can look prettier, interior materials can be more luxurious, but without a ubiquitous DC Fast Charging network to enable long trips, what’s the point?

Reactions: gilscales
The Polestar 2 is not a bad car, but why would someone choose that over a Model 3? Especially since it won't be available until 2020?

The Polestar 2 is a Google-powered all-electric Tesla competitor - The Verge

they call it a Tesla killer lol it has to be one of the ugliest cars, no one will buy that car over Model 3 especially at 60K. That car is more like 20-30 range. Its ugly and the features are no where close to Tesla and it will be 2020 it's a joke.

Literally does anybody at Volvo think that this is equal or better than Model 3? I don't get it, why even bother producing this car.

I personally wouldn't buy or put myself inside anything that's "Google powered". I will never allow a Google Home (or equivalent) device in my home, nor an Amazon Echo-type device. Count me as someone who is neither naive nor willing to give up privacy. Yes, I'm not "normal" meaning I have the technical ability to prevent those services from getting to know me. I'm not on Facebook, I host my own pihole server to blackhole DNS for tracking services, and take other actions to protect myself.

I've had a true Volvo (back when it wasn't just a brand used to label cars) and find it a little disingenuous to compliment their interiors versus a Tesla. For sure, style is subjective, but Volvos have been pretty spartan which is the same label given to Teslas.

All that being said, I'm happy to see more and more EVs that truly are replacements for mainstream ICE vehicles. I don't get why people think that the Polestar 2 is as much a competitor to Tesla as to ICE sedans. It's just a new competitor in that segment. As ICE cars make up more market share in a particular segment, any entry - EV or ICE - is primarily competing with the incumbents that have the most market share.

• Love
Reactions: Scott7
At a price between $90,000 - $155,000! How is that competition with Tesla??? Plus it's ugly. And right now it's imaginary was well. Tesla is way ahead of competition. They're beating them on price and technology. These old car companies are just taking what they have and slapping some batteries and electric motors in them. So far, NONE of them are beating Tesla on price vs. performance.

I personally wouldn't buy or put myself inside anything that's "Google powered". I will never allow a Google Home (or equivalent) device in my home, nor an Amazon Echo-type device. Count me as someone who is neither naive nor willing to give up privacy. Yes, I'm not "normal" meaning I have the technical ability to prevent those services from getting to know me. I'm not on Facebook, I host my own pihole server to blackhole DNS for tracking services, and take other actions to protect myself.

I've had a true Volvo (back when it wasn't just a brand used to label cars) and find it a little disingenuous to compliment their interiors versus a Tesla. For sure, style is subjective, but Volvos have been pretty spartan which is the same label given to Teslas.

All that being said, I'm happy to see more and more EVs that truly are replacements for mainstream ICE vehicles. I don't get why people think that the Polestar 2 is as much a competitor to Tesla as to ICE sedans. It's just a new competitor in that segment. As ICE cars make up more market share in a particular segment, any entry - EV or ICE - is primarily competing with the incumbents that have the most market share.

Does it bother you then that Tesla knows your whereabouts at all times when you're driving the vehicle? No hiding from that.

As for reasons why I could possibly choose the Polestar 2 over the model 3.
-Matrix lights
-Power liftgate (w/ bumper sensor)
-Hatchback
-Tighter fit and finish
-Dual screens
-I prefer the interior of the Polestar 2 mostly, I'd miss the blade vent in the model 3, but the polestar 2 interior design looks more luxurious. The model 3 is a cross between an Apple store and sterility.
-Volvo is known for their ergonomics, this remains to be seen if these new seats will be as comfortable as the model 3
-I surmise that Google will take advantage of the smart home integration somehow (this may be a plus or negative depending on who you ask)
-Superior voice controls
-Superior voice assistance
-Superior media controls
-Spotify!
-360 camera
-Wireless charging
-Based on other Volvo's, I'm guessing that the side mirrors will also be better than the model 3
-Based on other Volvo's, they will have the windshield wipers with rain sensors.

All that being said, I would still probably again choose the model 3.
At that cost, 0-60 in 4.7 is very slow compared to the M3P and by the time this comes out, still it'd be 3-5k more expensive than the 3D after tax credits.

Definitely more of a cruiser luxury vehicle than a fast nimble one coming from Tesla that has more range and better looking exterior.

• Informative
Reactions: TEG
I think anyone who’s waited several months for parts after an accident might well look toward a car company that has figured out how to supply parts efficiently. Right now Tesla is an incomplete company, they can design and build cars but they have big gaps in their support of those cars. I love my Tesla. If it ever needs a repair that entails several months of awaiting parts, I’ll bail on Tesla. I like my car, I like what Elon has done, I like being on the cutting edge, but I’m not stupid.
What's easier, fixing basic business problems that have known solutions AND are very common with companies that have grown rapidly OR producing truly innovative new technology and the infrastructure to support it? Tesla customer service problems are easily solvable becoming an electric car company with cutting edge technology not so much. Also, everything I've seen out so far from the traditional car companies is playing catch up meanwhile Tesla has not been sitting on their hands.

Last edited:
Then you still have to acknowledge that brand competency is a huge part of the purchasing decision. I know many people who would not consider a Tesla for no other reason than that they are a relatively new company and are 'untested' in their view.

When people bring their car to a Tesla SC for a minor issue and the car needs to be there for a week, or the car is involved in a minor collision and it takes weeks or months to get the parts this does not look favorable for Tesla, at all.

What Tesla has going for it is that they are at the forefront on the technology piece, especially in the area of drive-train and batteries/BMS and my view is that their lead there is at least 2-3 years ahead of others.

In most other areas they are lagging. I've been driving/buying cars now for close to 30 years and have owned many makes of cars. Tesla takes the cake when it comes to lackluster service that sometimes borders on incompetent.

My car has several issues that haven't been addressed because I'm not comfortable bringing my car in, leaving it with Tesla for 1+ weeks while it sits on their lot and then finding out they can't do anything about it. I have never had a bad taste in my mouth when buying a $62,000 luxury product but it comes pretty close with Tesla and my limited interactions with them.

My local Tesla service center has been very responsive. Its a Temp one they opened about 5 miles from where I work in Oceanside, and i have only been there twice, but they were polite, responsive, and at least documented my concerns and explained what they were doing (or not doing).

Pretty much the same experience with my tesla service center that I have had with my BMW service advisor of 7+ years. I guess it depends on the people, and what one needs. I am happy to give my tesla service center "all 5s", at least right now.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Assuming the fed doesn't take away the credit that's true. But by 2020, the Model 3 would have been out for almost 3 years. The base model 3 is likely to be available too.

If it's still available, the $7,500 is added value. You get the $55k Volvo for 48k, but as I type this out it's still $13k more than a standard Model 3. Personnaly I wouldn't buy anything without fast charging network. Also, Model Y should be out by 2020 and probably for $48k you get a slightly bigger car and massive Supercharger network.

I think the Polestar (2) will face some headwinds. I'm always encouraged when other manufacturers seem like they are close to actually producing a vehicle instead of just talking about it. Polestar 2 is kind of in that in-between state but if they do get it out in 2020 then it feels "close" and having more EVs on the road is a good thing. Having more choices for consumers is a good thing.

That said...as others have mentioned the fact that Polestar (and other announced-but-not-yet-shipping EVs) are coming out years later than Tesla Model 3 and still are slower and have less range is very disappointing (though not terribly surprising). Tesla is the moving target. These slower traditional automakers are taking aim at Tesla but by the time they finally get something to market, it's years (we can argue the exact number) behind Tesla. And by 2020 there will (or, to be fair, probably will) be Model Y and maybe the Roadster too and the Model 3 will/may have a starting price around $35K.

I guess predictably the legacy automakers have to start somewhere. And having EVs, even if they are slower, less ranged, and maybe not as attractive (though that's subjective) and at or more expensive than Model 3, is at least getting horses into the race. Maybe the Polestar 3 or 4 or 5, will start to make more innovative strides.

Reactions: Scott7
It's hard to remember it costs so much less than my performance 3 as I drive down the road rattling like crazy.
Hmm, our Model 3 doesn't rattle at all. It has over 8K miles on it, and we drive it on mountain roads with potholes and other damage from all of the rain and snow that we've had, plus damage from vehicles driving with snow chains. If your car is rattling like crazy, this seems like something that Tesla should be able to address.

Sure, sure, I will be losing the SC network, but I use SCs only a handful of times a year.

Same here but I’d be FORCED to have anothe car if it wasn’t for the SC network. Who makes a BEV you can rely on as your only car?

Hell you can live in a Model X and for certain a semi with a converted cab. ;)

Of course hitting the gas on an XC60 isn't going to launch you into your seat like it does in the 3P.

That’s why we justify over 50,000 reasons. Just to be launched into a seat.

I think Volvo could have chosen a better name for the car.

I want to keep thing rated G...so that's as far as I dare to go.

Stupid name will cost it sales. It would be debadged and it will be awkward to give the name to anyone who asks.

——

You all mesmerized by consumer reports and green grass theory.

Can’t wait for everyone to back up their mouth and throw money at this.

I will be shaking my head in pity when I see them in the streets.

It’s like when I look at Bolts.

Never ever throw good money after bad. Tesla still the Champ for hot versus crazy ratio.

The more BEV vehicles to the game and the more choices the better. If another manufacturer has the foresight to build a charging network, I’d definitely consider their product, but as of today only a Tesla can get me across the continent in a reasonable time in a BEV. I did consider getting a 2015 V60 or S60 Polestar before getting a Model S in 2015. Glad I made the right decision with getting my first Tesla.

I'm sure there are Volvo loyalists and others that would enjoy this car. The more people look into EV's, the more people will realize how far ahead Tesla is compared to everybody else. Just by googling up Polestar 2, the words Tesla and Model 3 are pretty much in every article and every other sentences. It won't take but a few clicks for people to look up specs, acceleration, range, driver assist tech, safety ratings, and charging support, all of which Tesla is still king at.

But the key here is more people will stop buying ICE vehicles, and more will end up buying a Model 3 instead. Win/win. Polestar 2 isn't a Tesla killer when they're only going to make 50,000 of them a year anyway. Any journalists that missed that should quit their jobs.

The thing about Polestar 2 design wise is it's unnecessarily boxy (in my opinion), with an ugly grille. My guess is the car's real world efficiency is going to be pretty bad much like the I-PACE. They did a good job with the interior however, taking notes from Model 3's minimalistic design.

There's no logical reason to really buy a Polestar 2 over Model 3 unless you really like the brand and the fit & finish. But hey, more EV's that advertise just means more people will find out about Teslas. Not a Model 3 killer, not even close. But hey please do keep talking about the Model 3 in them articles.

Reactions: gilscales
5. Since it's built by a Swedish company I think it's a pretty fair bet it won't have cold weather teething problems that Model 3 has with sticking door handles, sticking door seals, frozen charge ports, etc.
Volvo (and Polestar) is a company owned by Geely. It is a Chinese company, operating with Volvo brand as a front.

Without Geely, Volvo would have been bankrupt years ago.

While they do have access to same winter testing designers and facilities as other brands, I don't think this gives them any edge.

Since decisions and production is much in China nowadays, I haven't considered them European brand for a while.

More EV's the better.

But like all Volvo's, Polestar has an ugly rear end. Front is alright minus the ICE grill but Tesla's overall clean minimalistic styling inside and out prevails over all these quirky car designs.

It is no consideration to me.

I'll be driving my Tesla by the time this thing comes out.